Thread: Cabin-old to new 2012

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default Cabin-old to new 2012

If you follow this link and use the pass word you will find a gallery to my cabin project. The land was purchased in November 2011, a nice bluff lot of 5 acres with views of the Alaska Range (Denali, Hunter, Foraker) to the north and the Petersville hills to the west. Have had typical AK large wild life through as well as a large assortment of mating/nesting small birds. The birds songs this spring/early summer was fantastic!

http://carollambert.smugmug.com/Other/Life-in-Alaska/Building-the-cabin/22131845_SdkCR4#!i=1766918801&k=grXdBmr

password: paulscabin

Wow.....excellent. Looked through all your pics. Congrats to the both of you...!!! I was sad to see the old cabin go, but hopefully all it's "good vibrations" will venture into the new one now standing in it's place. Do you plan on having all the "modern" amenities....ie indoor plumbing? Will this just be a retreat, or will you live there year round?

Again....very nice, and enjoy your new "cabin".........lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Sooner or latter the original building would have come down. There were fully rotten corners in two places and the floor was collapsing.

Built in the 70's with no apparent maintenance done to the roof. All sill logs were placed on the ground and are rotten.
    All three buildings on site have the same basic construction. Hobbit is the worst quality log work and is sinking into the organic surface material. It will stand and be used until it can not. The North-east cabin is the best log construction and will be dismantled and relocated near the new building with taller walls and a decent AWW foundation.

If logs could talk.......one long term area resident remembers helping with the construction of two buildings and has many fond memories of the community of people who once homesteaded there.
    One effort to communicate with the original owner was met with hostility and anger that 'the family' no longer owned the piece. I am the 4th owner. The individual I purchased from had never seen the property but had owned it for 30 years! Would be great to hear some of the stories associated with the property.

There is water to tap below the bluff with a submersible pump and generator for seasonal use but have yet to devise a way to drain the water out of a water line below the level of the ice to prevent freezing.....in an off-grid building. With a bleed hole and air pressure one could manage it but the inverter would need to be on 100% to keep replenishing the air supply and that means an automatic generator start system.....the snow ball gets bigger.

For now it will be a 'cabin' with more frequent and longer stays. Spending freeze-up and break-up there are very possible in the near future.

Just a tremendous accomplishment.

That photo stream should be required reading for anyone wishing to persue a project of this nature. It documents the huge effort of putting together a remote 'cabin', even when you have something to work with to start. Throughout the journal i could just feel the sweat, and the dollars, pouring forth.

Very nicely done.

The one thing not mentioned any where is...the material weight hauled in was 24,000#. The rail road dropped off 18,000# three miles from the site. The remainder was hauled nine miles from the road system. There were thirty-two loads hauled. This does not include tools, fuel, ladder, food, water, scaffolding, ect......do not need to tell any of you who have done this short haul....and more.

Thank you for the comments.

The photographs were inspiring, and a testament to what vision, excellent planning, committed people and sheer hard work can achieve!

I found the paintings to be beautiful, way more personal than photographs could ever be, and a lasting memory of the birth of your home.

Many thanks for sharing.

Wonderfull slide show,great job.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Beautiful cabin Paul. It was a pleasure to meet you today.

Great meeting you Steve!
    Thank you again for the gas lights!!