Thread: What a stinking mess!

Default What a stinking mess!

I have glass bedded oodles of guns over the years without incident. However today I had a stinking, agrivating, wanting to kill something mess.

My brand new Ruger 77 SS 358 Winchester came with the usual awful black plastic stock so yesterday I rode my motorcycle down to Brownells and bought a new walnut stock. Last night I put paste wax on all the usual metal parts that you don't want stuck together. Then this morning at 6AM I mixed up some Accra Glass Gel, put it in the stock at the usual places.... the locking lug and a dab top and bottom at the rear tang. At 8 AM, 10 AM and 3 PM I unscrewed the tang screws one turn and then tightened them back down as a precaution to make sure they weren't going to be siezed in place. Tonight at 10 PM after getting home from the Whitetail banquet I decided to pop the action out of the stock. I normally wait 12 hours tonight I was busy so it got to sit for 16 hours. I removed the screws and whacked the barrel....not real hard but solidly on the arm of the couch. The barreled action popped right out and the unset Accra Glass strung from the barrel to the stock and on moms new couch. She was mad and I was mad and the dog headed for the closet.

I haven't a clue as to what went wrong. The mixed glass in the mixing cup was hard as a rock. The glass at the rear tang screw was totally set but the glass in the recoil lug looked like I had just mixed it. It all came out of that same mixing cup and the evidence that the left over still in the cup was hard as a rock has left me scratching my head.

It's 2 1/2 hours later and I've got it all cleaned up and just tightened the tang screws down on a different batch of bedding compound. In fact it's not Accra Glass but rather Devcon 10110 that was in the cupboard in the garage. It is what I used when I put a new fiberglass handle in my splitting maul a few weeks back. I figure if it can hold the head on a 10lb splitting maul through several loads of split wood then it should be able to handle the recoil of a 358 Winchester........we will know in a few days!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    It's 2 1/2 hours later and I've got it all cleaned up and just tightened the tang screws down on a different batch of bedding compound. In fact it's not Accra Glass but rather Devcon 10110 that was in the cupboard in the garage.....
    Sorry to hear about the issue, but that's a move in the right direction EKC. I used Acraglas for many years and never had an issue like yours, but since switching to 10110 I can't fathom going back. I'm confident you'll be well satisfied.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issue, but that's a move in the right direction EKC. I used Acraglas for many years and never had an issue like yours, but since switching to 10110 I can't fathom going back. I'm confident you'll be well satisfied.
    I went to church this morning, came home and momma cooked me a pork chop for lunch and then I popped the action out of the stock again. Its perfect no voids, no air bubbles just a good looking glass job. I then took it to a buddies shop and cropped the barrel at 20 inches and recrowned it. I hadn't used a metal lathe in a while but it went well(my buddy was there to see that I didn't screw anything up) . We'll know for sure how it went after I send a few bullets down range. It sure feels good though!

I used a different release agent the second go around on the bedding too. I used Johnson paste wax the first time and clear Kiwi shoe polish the second time around. I don't know if that had anything to do with the Accra Glass not setting up or not but I wasn't chancing it.

I am with you 1 Cor15! I still have a 375 Ruger that needs glassed and I'll go with the Devcon!!

After I chatted with you tonight EKC I got home in time to run the first 20 break-in rounds thru my 358. Tried Xtermnator powder and Hornady 250gn RN. I was very pleased with the results only shot at 50 yards but kept everything under 1 in easily and was not letting bbl cool down much.
    42gns using WLRmag primers it averaged 2222fps with a variance spread of only 25fps over 10 rounds.
    42.5 gns with CCI primers avg = 2218 over 5 rounds
    43 gns with Fed 215M primers avg = 2264fps
    Trgger felt real good, no pressure signs.
    I think I will leave the gun as is, no bedding for me as its a 200 yard gun for me and shooten plenty good for that distance. Actually, I plan to call my moose in to less than 50 yards so thats where I am zeroing this bad boy!
    Kinda neet to be able to pull the trigger, pick up the binocs, focus on the target, and count to three and then watch that shiney copper cuban cigar lumbering into the X ring!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes Sir...Devcon!!

I just bought a Hawkeye SS in .358. What do you think of it other than the stock? I didn't need it but I got it for $450 NIB so I thought I should have one. That is my first Ruger bolt gun but I guess they are OK since they have been round for a long time.

Your opinion will be most valued...now that it is in the mail headed my way.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Yes Sir...Devcon!!

I just bought a Hawkeye SS in .358. What do you think of it other than the stock? I didn't need it but I got it for $450 NIB so I thought I should have one. That is my first Ruger bolt gun but I guess they are OK since they have been round for a long time.

Your opinion will be most valued...now that it is in the mail headed my way.
    Nicely done Lowrider! Thats over 100 bucks under wholesale for comparable current cartridges available
    I have had quite a few Ruger guns and in general they are just good solid working guns. Some have, and some still do, stand out with a bit more appeal - this one is not going to make a SS Win 70 look bad, but it is a nice improvement over the hard plastic skeleton style stocks they produced a short time ago. The metal has a rough look to it, but fit seems pretty good overall. The trigger did get my attention and it felt much better than I expected. Magazine has plenty of room to shoot longer bullets - like a 225gr Accubond or Ballistic tip. Recoil was noticeable with max loads due to lighter weight, but was not unpleasant to me... Overall a good value for the price. If I had to pay retail and a 358Win was available in a Win 70 SS I would opt for the Win probably though....
    Initial accuracy has been very good and it appears it will be a great hunting rifle....

EKC started chopping his up like Bruce Lee in a Karate movie, not sure I would want to shorten the bbl like he did but to each their own. I think he headed to NDakota for a few days so not sure if he will respond right away with his take on it.... He told me he was visiting his kids, but to tell ya the truth I think he is on some kinda work release program and has to report back in periodically???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thanks Smokey!! It came with a promotional Carhart jacket with Ruger label on the chest...that's the real reason I bought it. I have a Savage .358 but it weighs close to 10 lbs and is not very "carry friendly" so I'm hopeful the Ruger will be a little easier on the sling and fit my hand better. The .358 is a lot of power in a small package and I've always liked the round. I'm thinking a TSX will make a good 250+ yd bullet for moose or elk...if the wolves in ID/MT have left any for us mortal folks.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Thanks Smokey!! It came with a promotional Carhart jacket with Ruger label on the chest...that's the real reason I bought it. I have a Savage .358 but it weighs close to 10 lbs and is not very "carry friendly" so I'm hopeful the Ruger will be a little easier on the sling and fit my hand better. The .358 is a lot of power in a small package and I've always liked the round. I'm thinking a TSX will make a good 250+ yd bullet for moose or elk...if the wolves in ID/MT have left any for us mortal folks.
    Sorry that I'm slow to respond...I've been a busy boy lately..... I really like mine. I bought a walnut stock for it and glass bedded it. I also cut and recrowned the barrel at 20 inches. I was after a short handy compact for use on deer through moose sized game. I did have a Winchester model 70 Ultra Classic compact at one time and was very fond of that set up. I'm thinking the Ruger is every bit as good. I have some Hornady 180 gr SP bullets loaded and would consider it my deer load. I have also loaded some Hornady 200 grain round nosers and they would probably be for the elk/moose sized critters. I took it to the range today but the wind was blowing hard so I shot only handguns. I'll get back out yet this week to shoot some of these round nosers. I'll get back to you after I get a good session or two in at the range this week! I have some 250 grain round nosers being shipped to me and I'll play with them some too. I'm wondering if the 200 RN's will be to light for moose/elk! What do you think?

Ruger arrived and it seems to be everything you guys said. I did take 1 1/2 coils off the trigger return spring and now it is a very crisp 4lbs so I think I will leave it alone since it's a field gun. I am having problems with the floor plate locking in place so I'm going to polish the little latch so it will grab the floor plate better. So far, I like the plastic stock just fine. It is one of the better ones I've seen on factory guns. I like the checkering that is pretty sharp and will work well in cold weather and gloves.

I also got a .260 Rem in the Hawkeye so there isn't much I can't kill with those two.

I'm wondering if the 200 RN's will be to light for moose/elk! What do you think?[/QUOTE]

They would be fine for moose EKC, I would think it would be a safe bet that the majority of moose are shot with 180grain bullets or less each season. Keep the shots under 250 yards and you'll be just peachy!
    Heck, I'd just tape one of them big Ole Iowa ears of corn under the barrel and wave it around a bit, when one mosey's up to gnaw on it plunk him one twixt the eyes....