Thread: Portage pass

Default Portage pass

I would like to hike portage pass from the lake to Whittier. All the info I see is showing no trail from the pass to the parking spot just before you enter the tunnel on the portage side. Is there? Or do I hike to the top from Whittier and go,back down to the Whittier side? Thanks for the info!,,

I did this once and its a quick trail from whittier up to the pass, I didn't see any trail across the cliffs to the parking area. The nice part is at the lake you've got the best view of the glacier that you can hike to.

Default portage pass

Thanks for the input and hope for sun in the pass!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    I did this once and its a quick trail from whittier up to the pass, I didn't see any trail across the cliffs to the parking area. The nice part is at the lake you've got the best view of the glacier that you can hike to.

I've skated back to the glacier in the winter, and I remember taking a scrutinizing look at the north shore of the lake. Lots of cliffs and looks pretty impassable. I'm pretty sure there's no trail there. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Poinz,

Be curious to hear how your hike went. I have been considering hiking from Whittier to portage side and then trying to float down the creek that flows into portage lake but it looks pretty skinny.

Steve