Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Bird Report

  1. #1
    Member DownEastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    322

    Default Bird Report

    Anyone seeing any birds flying?

  2. #2
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    Anyone seeing any birds flying?

    I've seen a few, but I'm trying not to pay attention since I'll be on the slope for the opener and won't get home until the 12th...

  3. #3
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I spent all of yesterday (saturday) morning running around the Jim Lake area looking for moose. Yes, I did see ducks, and quite a few. However, it did not seem like the large numbers I expected. I have been out there prior to opening before in other years and it seemed like I was seeing more then. Bud
    Wasilla

  4. #4
    Member DownEastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    322

    Default Bird Report

    That's what I've seen also, I've spent a few evening and early mornings in the blind scouting, not much flying.

  5. #5
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I spent all of yesterday (saturday) morning running around the Jim Lake area looking for moose. Yes, I did see ducks, and quite a few. However, it did not seem like the large numbers I expected. I have been out there prior to opening before in other years and it seemed like I was seeing more then. Bud


    I think with all the water in the PPR this year we might not have as many birds up here nesting. It kinda sucks that the PPR is necessary to the overall population and when conditions are good there, we can expect overall populations to increase but not have as many birds here. We almost have to hope for bad breeding conditions there for a good season here.

    I haven't been out, yet, because like I said I don't want to look around knowing I'm going to go to the slope this week and not get back until the 12th, but this time last year I wasn't seeing many birds, either. Turned out they were still pretty well hidden because a lot of the ducklings couldn't quite fly, yet. I saw more and more birds each DAY as I scouted prior to the opening. Don't know if that's the case this year, or not, but it could be. I had to actually run banks pretty slowly and look back into little sloughs and potholes with binos to find them last year, of course, that lead to an opening morning limit for 2 guys with some bonus geese, too!

  6. #6
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default Bird Report

    More birds than I have ever seen before at the duck shack when I flew over yesterday.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  7. #7
    Member DownEastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    322

    Default

    With the opener on a sat, there will be alot of birds kicked up in the air.

  8. #8
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    With the opener on a sat, there will be alot of birds kicked up in the air.

    The opener could be on a Wednesday and there would be a bunch kicked up!

  9. #9
    Member DownEastah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    322

    Default

    True! But even more with every joe blow with a shotgun and a boat. Looking forward to my dogs first real deal retrieve!

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    The opener could be on a Wednesday and there would be a bunch kicked up!

  10. #10
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    True! But even more with every joe blow with a shotgun and a boat. Looking forward to my dogs first real deal retrieve!

    Don't count your chickens (in this case ducks) before they hatch! Rule number one is not to talk up your dog. He/she could be the best retriever on the planet but as soon as you talk him/her up, he/she will **** in the boat, eat your breakfast when you aren't looking, knock over the coffee, and retrieve decoys while you chase down every bird!

  11. #11
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default Bird Report

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Don't count your chickens (in this case ducks) before they hatch! Rule number one is not to talk up your dog. He/she could be the best retriever on the planet but as soon as you talk him/her up, he/she will **** in the boat, eat your breakfast when you aren't looking, knock over the coffee, and retrieve decoys while you chase down every bird!

    Seen it happen!
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  12. #12
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Don't count your chickens (in this case ducks) before they hatch! Rule number one is not to talk up your dog. He/she could be the best retriever on the planet but as soon as you talk him/her up, he/she will **** in the boat, eat your breakfast when you aren't looking, knock over the coffee, and retrieve decoys while you chase down every bird!
    thats if your shooting is on also!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Checked 3 ponds that looked good on a map down this way and didn't see a single duck on Tuesday...

  14. #14
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    with all the high water this year in the marshes, due to river flooding, many nests were washed out and very low reproduction. most likely consider this a rebuilding year and give the ducks a break and let them live to reproduce next season. hardly any ducks around the jim lake area or the hayflats this year. going to be a very poor year. Bud
    Wasilla

  15. #15
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default Bird Report

    ....tons of ducks at my spot last week when I flew over.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  16. #16
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default Bird Report

    ....tons of ducks at my spot last week when I flew over.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  17. #17
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,886

    Default

    Did some scouting Monday in the Kenai area and spotted at least 3 dozen ducks. Also saw 6 canadian geese and some cranes flying over.
    I will say it was hard for me to identify the duck species even with binoculars. They were mostly young ducks not fully colored out yet and it was hard to spot coloration on them while they were sitting on the water.I would guess some of them were Mallards due to body shape size and what not. There were some smaller ones on the one pond that were most likely Teal due to their body size and having shot a few teal in this area last season.
    Not much flying though except for the few I kicked up while scouting.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,073

    Default

    I have talked to a few people that have flown over the Su flats and have said that it is loaded with ducks. The guys with the shacks over there should do well! It's gotta be nice to get over there away from the road system and have a lot of area to hunt. I have always had good hunts over there

  19. #19
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default Bird Report

    Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I have talked to a few people that have flown over the Su flats and have said that it is loaded with ducks. The guys with the shacks over there should do well! It's gotta be nice to get over there away from the road system and have a lot of area to hunt. I have always had good hunts over there

    Lol like I said...
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  20. #20
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    1,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    with all the high water this year in the marshes, due to river flooding, many nests were washed out and very low reproduction. most likely consider this a rebuilding year and give the ducks a break and let them live to reproduce next season. hardly any ducks around the jim lake area or the hayflats this year. going to be a very poor year. Bud
    so i assume you wont be out hunting and will be giving them a break.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •