Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm-08 to .280AI

Default 7mm-08 to .280AI

Has anyone rechambered a Tikka in 7mm-08 to .280AI and if so is the ~22" barrel enough to take advantage of the .280 AI potential? I'm thinking all it needs is recamber and an '06 length mag.

Any thoughts?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I'm thinking the 7-08 is mid length and the 280 AI is '06 length. I don't think that would work. And I wouldn't want a 280AI with 22" barrel, the cartridge needs a good 24" to realize its full potential.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Not sure about all of the models but the Tikka T3 is one action length for every chambering. If that's your rifle I'd say you'll also need to modify/replace the bolt stop when adapting for the 280AI, but otherwise I'm confident it's as simple as you've suspected. 22 inches wouldn't bother me in the least, though if starting from scratch I'd probably go a tad longer. Even at 22 inches you're going to get more velocity from the AI version than the standard 280, perhaps not as much difference as in a longer tube, but you'll get more which is what it sounds like you're after.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Your rifle is already set-up as a short action, whether it's shooting one or not. Consider just chamber reaming to 284 Winchester, a 22" barrel is better for it than it would be for the 280AI, since it's the original short/fat cartridge. The bolt face is the same size and with any extra magazine space you can load the bullets out further and increase the velocity again. GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Sell the entire package and put the funds towards a Kimber Montana 84L 280 AI and be far ahead of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sell the entire package and put the funds towards a Kimber Montana 84L 280 AI and be far ahead of the game.
    Unless your Kimber turns out like 2 of the 3 that I have owned. One was the worst feeding control round feed gun that I have ever owned and the other would shoot no better than 2.5 inches with anything. The third one was a 30-06 and shot like a dream and worked flawlessly.

That said I would buy a new Kimber as I think they have worked the bugs out but wouldn't touch a used one unless I knew who owned it and how it performed. There are still some used ones in circulation that are tied to the days when Kimber had all the quality control issues!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Not sure about all of the models but the Tikka T3 is one action length for every chambering. If that's your rifle I'd say you'll also need to modify/replace the bolt stop when adapting for the 280AI, but otherwise I'm confident it's as simple as you've suspected. 22 inches wouldn't bother me in the least, though if starting from scratch I'd probably go a tad longer. Even at 22 inches you're going to get more velocity from the AI version than the standard 280, perhaps not as much difference as in a longer tube, but you'll get more which is what it sounds like you're after.
    Say what if one loads the std 280 to be on par with 270 pressures which is 60,000 if i remember right there is no need for the 280 AI! Also to take advantage of the AI I would sure in the hell use a 24 inch tube. If you don't run a 24 inch tube dont even bother with the AI version.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Come to think about it, I think you're right. A one size fits all action, different from earlier Tikkas.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Come to think about it, I think you're right. A one size fits all action, different from earlier Tikkas.
    Will the magazine need to be altered to feed the AI case?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Say what if one loads the std 280 to be on par with 270 pressures which is 60,000 if i remember right there is no need for the 280 AI! Also to take advantage of the AI I would sure in the hell use a 24 inch tube. If you don't run a 24 inch tube dont even bother with the AI version.
    That's one way to do it, but to say there's no reason to bother is simply not accurate. If I were to rechamber from 7mm-08 then I'd go AI--no way I wouldn't. All else being equal you simply get more velocity in the AI version and the downside in this scenario is zilch IMO. I doubt I'd be interested in rechambering a 7mm-08 in the first place, but no way I'd go vanilla in the rechamber.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The 280 AI always intrigued me but after I read more about it, and what guys were saying about the std 280. I would be inclined to try std 280 first in a 23 inch tube see what you could get for velocities.

Thanks guys!!

I have a Rem Mtn Rifle in .280 with a 22" barrel and a 700 BDL in .280 with a 24" and I love both. What I'm looking for is a project to try the AI version and I also love my 2 Tikka T3's. I was going to pull the barrel on the BDL and ream that barrel with .050 set back to clean up the chamber and then I stumbled upon the idea of using a 7-08 since I would not need to pull the barrel, just ream the chamber of the shorter round and the finish reamer for the 280AI would take the chamber out completely on the 7-08...making it a simple converstion.

I thought about the .284 but the mag is only 3 rounds now and it would probably go to 2 rounds, plus I'm not sure about feed problems that could arise with the fatter case...but then the fat WSM cases feed just fine so I don't know without jumping into it. Also, I have lots of .280 brass to make into AI.

They may have fixed the Kimbers but best I can tell the Tikka never needed to be fixed. Frankly, the recent Kimber handguns I've handled are not like the older ones.

Maybe the money I just got from selling my backhoe is burning a hole, but I've always heard good things about the .280AI and wanted to try it and the Tikka seems like an easy way to go. I have a 6.5-06AI and it is a great round too so I seem to be driven to make one in the 7mm AI.

If you guys don't see anything insurmountable I think I'm gunna do it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default 7mm-08 to .280AI

My feed issues with my Kimber 280 AI were fixed with a little Emory paper to the feed rail edges. About 6 mos after my Kimber purchase I sold my Tikka 270 WSM as it is clear it wasn't going to be spending much time out of the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My feed issues with my Kimber 280 AI were fixed with a little Emory paper to the feed rail edges. About 6 mos after my Kimber purchase I sold my Tikka 270 WSM as it is clear it wasn't going to be spending much time out of the safe.
    Was that because you like the Kimber better or the caliber better or both? I thought of, or am still thinking about the 270 WSM, the 7 WSM and the 7 SAUM and haven't found any real advantage over the .280 AI.

Default 7mm-08 to .280AI

I do like the Kimber better and the 7mm bore offers better options than the 270 for Alaska. I am running factory 140 ammo this season but believe that the true advantage will be with 160's one I get the time to work up loads for it.

The 280AI in your 7lb T3 is going to have the recoil comparible or greater than a 7mm Mag , if your recoil sensitive.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I do like the Kimber better and the 7mm bore offers better options than the 270 for Alaska. I am running factory 140 ammo this season but believe that the true advantage will be with 160's one I get the time to work up loads for it.
    What kind of groups you getting? Have you chrono it yet? I would get a 7 wsm myself

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 280AI in your 7lb T3 is going to have the recoil comparible or greater than a 7mm Mag , if your recoil sensitive.
    I can handle recoil, I just don't like it anymore. I used to have a .340 Wheatherby and I didn't like it at all. Nothing hurts like a steel butt on a Mosin M44 in 7.62x54R.

I'm thinking about the 7 WSM but it really doesn't seem to add all that much real life advantage to the .280AI and maybe not really that much to the regular vanilla .280. I have never been let down by my Mtn Rifle with 140 or 160 gr bullets...but the AI is cool looking!!

If you want all the power available from the 280 size case, the 284 Hawk (Gibbs clone) maybe what you're looking for. Z-Hat says it outperforms the 280AI with all bullet weights. It also allows you to maintain your maximum round count in the rifle. It also has loaded ammo and brass available.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post

I'm thinking about the 7 WSM but it really doesn't seem to add all that much real life advantage to the .280AI and maybe not really that much to the regular vanilla .280. I have never been let down by my Mtn Rifle with 140 or 160 gr bullets...but the AI is cool looking!!
    A 7mm WSM shooting a 180gr (berger for example) bullet at 3000fps is hard to beat, especially in a short action rifle with a generous mag box (like the kimber montucky). A 280 AI can't touch that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast