Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Halibut experiences

Default Overnight Halibut experiences

Seems like kind of a no-brainer...a litle more money for 2 limits. So...whats the catch? Are these charters just hitting the chicken patches twice and heading in? I've only found 2 outfits (so far) offering this option; anyone have any hands-on experience, good or bad opinions?

I would have done this had I not had my girlfreind along in mid June. I have not heard anything bad and if it was me i'd be there
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

If you're on the hunt for big fish, whether kept or released, we seem to get most of our biggest at night. Hang a bait on the bottom and put the rod in a holder while at anchor, then don't forget to put the clicker on before you sit down to dinner. Boom!

thanks for the tip BB. I would love to catch a biggun...haven't broked the 100 lb mark yet, but I'm looking for 40-60 pounders given my choice. Not that the fish often give you the choice Anything big is going back...4 mid-size butts will do me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MNfischer View Post
    Seems like kind of a no-brainer...a litle more money for 2 limits. So...whats the catch? Are these charters just hitting the chicken patches twice and heading in? I've only found 2 outfits (so far) offering this option; anyone have any hands-on experience, good or bad opinions?
    Haven't done it myself, but I think the answer to the bolded part of your question above is: Yes. They usually go out in the evening, you catch a couple before midnight, then two after midnight (so you can legally keep 4), then you come in. Other threads have been written about this, so you might do a search on here.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I don't know it for a fact, but I'd have to say "yes" too. Think of it this way. Would you rather go out with a bunch of people you don't know and get 4 halibut that weigh 10 lbs. each, spend the night on a boat and have to deal with going out late in the evening and coming back in early in the morning, or would you rather spend a night in a nice comfy bed, get up when you feel like it in the morning and then go out and find 2 NICE halibut that will probably easily outweigh those 4 chickens? And spend less money doing it?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

It is all about th WX, sometimes Alaska Coastal Marine goes to the Barrens other times outside of Pearl or other great places to fish and if the weather is bad they just do the best they can! Sorry but Mutt is off base this time I know for a fact!! I hope not to be called our on this because I will not hold back!!!!!

I as well think its a no brainer. Yes do an over nighter! A friend from Seward ran his boat for some over nighters this summer and they did well. Caught some really big fish and the Lingcod bite was amazing!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

First piece of advice, don't listen to those on here who have motives to to sell you only what they have to sell

I've taken several overnight charters and they've all been fantastic. Use to overnight out of Juneau all the time on the Glacier Bear (RIP my friend, I miss you). Have done one of out Homer. Timed the weather just right and fished the Barrens for lings, ran all the way to Shuyak and got into the halibut like nobody's business. Lather, rinse, repeat on the next day. Comfortable boat, great skipper, great food. Prolonged fishing. What's not to like?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My cousins did one out of Homer. I have no idea the name of the company or boat, but they said there were about 30ish people on the boat, there was a mandatory rotation of who could fish when (makes sense to avoid tangles but to me this is less than ideal), they took them to a chicken hole and the bite was quick but the fish were small. My cousin got his 10lb but to the surface and the deckhand gaffed it before he could say throw it back- as if releasing it was not an option. Anyway, they had a good time because they are fun people but they said they'd never do something like this again.
    I would recommend an overnight on a private boat or a small charter boat if you could get some friends & family to buy the boat. Thats just my preference though. Those big boats with 20+ people just dont seem pleasant to me...

bigfish; do you know who he went out with? as expected, theres some difference of opinion here. Perhaps one of the operators is a litle more apt to just do the chicken run, and if so, id' like to know which ones.

I did an overnight out of Homer several years ago and I wouldn't go again. Like bigfish mentioned, about 25 people on the boat, rotation of people fishing, and all fish caught were very small halibut and they keep everything. After the first day limits were caught, everyone crammed inside the boat to sleep for a couple of hours. After mid-night my partner and myself went out on the deck and dropped a pole over the side and started fishing, after all that why we went on the trip was to fish. Pretty soon we had a decent fish on (probably 25 pounds) cranked it in, gaffed it and flipped it on the deck and the fish began flopping around. That is when all hell broke loose, the back deck light flipped on, the captain freaked out and started cussing at us and asked us what the ******* we were doing, and who gave us permission to fish. We explained we had it under control and all we were doing was fishing without 25 other people on the deck and to say the least he really didn't like our answer.

I am not sure of the charter name but I would never go back on an overnight charter that takes more than six people. It was quite obvious there was no interest in catching little halibut and getting home. You would be better to go out with someone who takes smaller groups and is a little more personalized.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    First piece of advice, don't listen to those on here who have motives to to sell you only what they have to sell
    no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    no kidding.
    /\
    .|..regardless of who that may be!
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Not all overnight trips are created equal. If you are looking for a chicken meat run then their are certain operators that run those and if you are looking for a more personalized charters with the chance at big fish than you can find operators that do those as well. Make sure when you contact the charters you make your expectations clear. Hopefully someone will chime in with which operators do what.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    It is all about th WX, sometimes Alaska Coastal Marine goes to the Barrens other times outside of Pearl or other great places to fish and if the weather is bad they just do the best they can! Sorry but Mutt is off base this time I know for a fact!! I hope not to be called our on this because I will not hold back!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

I've taken several overnight charters and they've all been fantastic. Use to overnight out of Juneau all the time on the Glacier Bear (RIP my friend, I miss you). Have done one of out Homer. Timed the weather just right and fished the Barrens for lings, ran all the way to Shuyak and got into the halibut like nobody's business. Lather, rinse, repeat on the next day. Comfortable boat, great skipper, great food. Prolonged fishing. What's not to like?
    Just as hoose35 said, and like a number of other people are saying here (bigfish6025 and Rod123 are prime examples), you have to do your homework. Just like you have to do your homework in finding the right single day charter to go out with. It's plain and simple. Not all overnight charters will take you to the Barrens for lings, etc., just like not every day trip charter operator will take you out for lings, etc. So don't just expect that every charter operator that does "double limits" will take you to the Barrens for lings, or whatever. Just call, or email, the captain/owner and ask them what kind of fishing you will do and what you can expect to fish for.

And believe me, I have no motive in this thread to try and get people to book with me as "tlingitwarrior" is alluding to (and the other "vocal minority" had to chime in on) in his ridiculous statement that is so obviously aimed at me and my business (I'm the only charter captain that I know of that has said anything here, so it sure can't be aimed at anyone else). I am almost totally booked for the next couple of weeks so probably wouldn't be able to take you out anyway.

I'm looking for 2013 anyway, I like to do my legwork...just booked tickets
    Hopefully a few guys will come accross with some names of operators and what they did for them. I don't need to go to the Barrens or anywhere specifically, in fact we're coming in June and i believe ling season doesn't even open till July (or am I wrong there?) I just want to avoid a situation such as Rod123 describes!
    And the overnight 6packs I've seen so far are just plainn out of my price range. I know, you get what you pay for...hoping for a compromise is all so I can at least fool myself into thinking I have a shot at some decent fish...

Mutt you are not the only charter Capt that had said anything here

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Mutt you are not the only charter Capt that had said anything here
    Gee, I'm so sorry for causing you such concern. Let me rephrase what I said: Speaking as a charter captain that has posted some helpful advice to the OP, and in reply to tlingitwarrior's statement, I have absolutely no ulterior motive for saying what I did. You have to do your homework when choosing ANY charter operation. There ARE a lot of less than desirable charter operations out there that do take you out either overnight, or for a single day charter and only fish for little ones and the first little ones you bring into the boat are the ones you keep. AND there are a lot of good charter operations, too. But, don't hesitate to contact---either by email or by phone---the charter captain in question and I'm sure if they are reputable they will be happy to assuage any concerns about what you will be fishing for. I can NOT speak for any of the numerous charter operators that participate on this forum, but I do know if anyone contacts me about what they'll be fishing for I will be more than happy to ease their mind by telling them exactly what they can expect to catch in any given day.

BTW---I'm just curious who it is that answered this thread other than me that is a charter captain?

bigfish; do you know who he went out with? as expected, theres some difference of opinion here. Perhaps one of the operators is a litle more apt to just do the chicken run, and if so, id' like to know which ones.
    Did you post that before your morning coffee? I wrote in the 1st sentence "I have no idea the name of the company or boat" Haha, well I got a kick out of it anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast