Thread: Hiker killed by bear at Denali NP

Default Hiker killed by bear at Denali NP

http://go.usa.gov/rXGP

That's the link to a news release regarding a hiker killed by a bear at Denali National Park & Preserve on Friday afternoon. Additional updates will also be posted to the park website, www.nps.gov

The recovery of the hiker's remains continues this afternoon. A large boar who was on the kill site was killed, and there is good reason to believe this is the bear that killed the hiker. A necropsy will occur. The bear was shot from a helicopter by an Alaska State Trooper who was assisting the NPS. The initial investigation last night and this afternoon leaves us believing that the hiker did not have bear spray and did not have a firearm. There is evidence that he spend 8 minutes or more taking pictures of the bear prior to the attack from a distance of perhaps 50 yards. Park regulations require and our pre-trip briefings emphasize that backcountry users to back away from bears that are less than 1/4 mile away.

Updated news releases will be posted on the park web site, www.nps.gov/dena and I'll be putting links to them in the this section of this forum.

John Quinley
    NPS Public Affairs

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newsreleases.htm

One more news release on the dead hiker incident at Denali at this link.
    jq

Its what makes Alaska great,screw up around critters you die. Alaska nature can be unforgiving be it weather,flora or fauna
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its what makes Alaska great,screw up around critters you die.
    Ouch! It's difficult to imagine death for simple screw-ups as that which makes Alaska great, especially since so much of our mass media promotes such screw-ups. For example, after years of watching the likes of Timothy Treadwell on TV pulling his antics in another Alaskan national park, this poor fellow certainly didn't get much of a break.

RIP, and I'd like to extend my sympathies to his family and friends.

Very unfortunate story...

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    Ouch! It's difficult to imagine death for simple screw-ups as that which makes Alaska great... ...this poor fellow certainly didn't get much of a break.
    And yet, this is the very reason many of us choose to live here as opposed to somewhere else. Unlike many places, everyday life in much of Alaska still carries plenty of risk. A simple slip due to complacency while walking the path to the outhouse could be fatal, especially in winter... Realizing the fragility of life makes it real, and more worthwhile. Watching "reality" TV shows...not so much.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    And yet, this is the very reason many of us choose to live here as opposed to somewhere else. Unlike many places, everyday life in much of Alaska still carries plenty of risk.
    That is true, but that isn't how I think of it. It isn't the greater risk of death that attracts me to Alaska even though it is the wild nature of the state that I love. Alaska is a dangerous place, and there are many ways to get killed out there, but I just find the rewards are greater than the risks.

Some time ago there was a change in federal law regarding firearms in National Parks. Does anybody know if one can carry a firearm for self-defense in Denali National Park?

That is true, but that isn't how I think of it. It isn't the greater risk of death that attracts me to Alaska even though it is the wild nature of the state that I love. Alaska is a dangerous place, and there are many ways to get killed out there, but I just find the rewards are greater than the risks.

Some time ago there was a change in federal law regarding firearms in National Parks. Does anybody know if one can carry a firearm for self-defense in Denali National Park?
    I agree.

As to Denali NP, I believe carry is legal, but discharge is...frowned upon.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parkmgmt/firearms.htm

Above is a link to information on carrying firearms in Denali. The 2010 change in law applied across all national parks (although in Alaska, firearms were already allowed in most parks, preserves and monuments). The link also has information on discharging a firearm. FYI, in 2010, a hiker at Denali killed a bear with a handgun. He was not charged as his actions were consistent with defense of life & property standards.
    John Quinley
    NPS-Anchorage

45acp if I recall
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Hiker killed by bear at Denali NP

You can carry in all national parks in accordance with the states carry laws the park is in. It's the ONE good thing obummer passed. I carry all the time in the Smokey Mountain National Park. You have to. Haven't any of you ever seen deliverance?