Thread: Neil Armstrong - My Hero!!

Default Neil Armstrong - My Hero!!

Not sure this is the right place for this but I wanted to somehow say thanks to Neil Armstong for being my hero in July 1969. I was fortunate to be at a place called Cinco Picos in the Azores when Commander Armstrong made his walk and we were able to hear real time what was being said between Apollo 11 and earth as part of what was then called GlobeComm, a series of HF and Troposcatter sites around the world which relayed comms from the moon and earth.

God Speed Neil!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

God Bless this fine American! He was a true Hero and a class act.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

I still remember hearing those words. What an amazing thing for a man to say......AND DO...!!!!

God Speed Neil...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I was 6 years old at the time and was wondering what the fuss was about. I also remember at some point looking up at the moon in the night sky wondering what the ride would have been like in getting there. I guess I've been a space program junky since then.

RIP Sir.
    Now what ?

Yes, truly a great American hero.

Was that a White Alice site, Lowrider?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,

I don't know if that was a named site. It was a mountain top site above Lajes Field and we knew it by the Portugese name of "Cinco Picos". During the Apollo 11 mission we had maybe 50 NASA civilians on base and they piped the audio into the mess hall at the site and the place was packed with folks listening to the back and forth during the approach and landing on the moon. It was hours after the landing before Armstrong took the "small step" and I remember wondering if this was worth waiting for...sitting on a hard bench...glad I waited.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Lowrider, I've been to Lajes in the Azores a couple of times but that was well after Armstrong's visit to the moon. I was 13 at the time of the moon landing and did not come close to comprehending the significance. A great American hero indeed, in part to his achievement which he always deserving gave credit to the rest of the team which got his ass there and back, which is the other and greatest part of his heroism. He could have received a lot of fame and profit from it but he chose not to. Good thread and BTW, did you ever run with bulls during the festivals there? It was against AF policy at the time, but what the heck, you only live once and hopefully don't die by the bulls on the Azores.

It was ( one small step for a man )
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Lowrider, I've been to Lajes in the Azores a couple of times but that was well after Armstrong's visit to the moon. I was 13 at the time of the moon landing and did not come close to comprehending the significance. A great American hero indeed, in part to his achievement which he always deserving gave credit to the rest of the team which got his ass there and back, which is the other and greatest part of his heroism. He could have received a lot of fame and profit from it but he chose not to. Good thread and BTW, did you ever run with bulls during the festivals there? It was against AF policy at the time, but what the heck, you only live once and hopefully don't die by the bulls on the Azores.
    I was there May '68 - Aug 69 and had a great time but never ran with the bulls. I did drink a lot of wine and eat more than my share of their bread and cheese. We used to be able to go down town Tercerra (sp) and get a quart Ball jar full of wine for about a buck...good days on the rock!!

I was there during the "pigeon plague" and the Rod and Gun Club used to have shoots where we would kill hundreds of pigeons and give them to the locals who really like the fresh meat but not the lead shot in the meat...sure was fun though. I also got to be friends with a local fellow who trained ferrets to hunt rabbits or hares as they called them and I had a great time watching the ferrets go into a hole...hear some squeeling and then the ferret would back out of the hole with a rabbit in his mouth...great fun on the Rock!!

Sounds like you had a great experience there. We were only there for a couple of days or so per visit and never got the chance to make any relationships but did invited up to a second floor deck across the street from the church with the stone steps, where we (me and one of my crew mates) got cornered (on the steps) by a feisty bull and one of the local nimble "bull fighters" was doing everything he could to incite the bull to charge us. We just stood there and stared down the bull who got bored with us and trotted off. We then walked across the street to join our other mates up on the deck. A retired Army Sergent Major (and his wife) were traveling with us and for some reason he liked taunting the bulls. While we were socializing up on the deck, we heard the crowd shriek followed immediately by a loud crack... which was the back of his skull being slammed to the cobble stone street by an unimpressed bull. We went to the railing to see the bull mopping the street with his body pinned down by the bull's horns and pushed about like a rag doll. He was a fairly big man. A couple of the bull fighters pulled at the bull's tail and did other things to avert the bull's attention and it finally trotted off. Miraculously, he survived with scratches, cuts and some major bruising. It's one of those images burned into your memory forever.

Another real funny incident... a large portion of the town was in the street socializing having some drinks and chatting as they blocked it off and started letting the bulls loose. As the bulls were loosed, most of the people moved to the safety of their walled yards and porches and decks. Four old men were quite involved in jawing with each other, completely oblivious to the bulls and the migration of the crowd to safety. About 3 of the bulls trot by and one stops about 30' from the jawing old geezers and stares at them. All of a sudden the old men realize that something is wrong and turn at the same time to see the bull with drool dripping from its lip and starring intently at them. They are standing next to a narrow (about 1' wide) escape opening and all 4 try desperately to get through it at the same time. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. The three stooges had nothing on them. The bull could not resist and puts head and horns down, charges and helps these elder gentlemen through the narrow gap. The unfortunate gentleman who was most reward received the full brunt of the bulls effort with horn between his legs, starting at the ankle and thrusting upward lifting him well off the ground and giving him an enema in the process. These four also miraculously escaped serious harm or worse.

Hanging out on the Rock for a while could definitely be a lot of fun. Good memories... cheers