Thread: boned out deer weight& #'s

Default boned out deer weight& #'s

Tryin to figure some #'s for deer hunt this fall..how much does on average a boned out kodiak buck weigh? Flying in a 206, and 750lbs is our limit. Between the two of us we are 360-375, and im not really wanting to pay for another flight to get the rest of our gear..packin very light obviously. Mainly just wanting a ball park of how many deer i can take. Obviously there is no scale in the field, but the last thing i need is the pilot to refuse flying it all out, then im obligated to return. Thank you

50-85 depending on age and size. Based on your estimates I would say 400lbs going in and shoot 2 a piece for an extra 300 lbs and gives you 700 and fives you some leeway on the return if you don't debone all or have capes, antlers and other extras. Good luck, have fun and be safe!

+ im sure they give you that # knowing people will always be heavy..just sucks now i cant take my big comfy guide model tent. Haha

[QUOTE=hunt/trapak88;116590 just sucks now i cant take my big comfy guide model tent. Haha[/QUOTE]

You can, then only shoot one deer and be very selective.

Just eat more deer meat in camp and do a good job boning all of them out. You normally get weighed at the dock when you get back.

Yea i see NO reason why 2 ppl cant take 3-4 deer and be fine in a 206..packin light and boning everything of course

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Yea i see NO reason why 2 ppl cant take 3-4 deer and be fine in a 206..packin light and boning everything of course
    Who are you flying with?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Who are you flying with?
    Was gonna fly andrews...but kingfischer is a lil cheaper and allow 100 more pounds of gear.

While i got you guys here...what are some ways to minimize bear contact once deer are down. Obviously keepin the deer a reasonable distance drom camp, etc...?

Was gonna fly andrews...but kingfischer is a lil cheaper and allow 100 more pounds of gear.
    We ended up booking with Island Air. Fair price, fair with weight, didn't require "permission" from guide in area and great people to work with. Can't say the same about some of the there others.

I'd recommend buying or renting a Bear Fence, if you're planning to hang out for a while with Meat Hanging in the trees nearby

Just separating them from your camp, Might keep your stuff ok, ...
    but the chance of Bears raiding that meat pole is pretty high, and then you have a mess of curiousity trouble to deal with

Bring a Fence,...(maybe a three lb package), and fence in the meat stash,...and some folks also fence in their own camp,...

Other than that,...you can most certainly expect some visits from the Bear Population,at night, or when/if you leave the camp quiet all day...
    I'm not sure how most do that beyond using a Bear Fence, maybe, just keeping a strong Human presence, like fire going,
    someone in camp all day, plenty of noise, etc.
    (myself, I get the meat offshore immediately onto a boat, tho I know that doesn't help ya)

by my experiences, dieNqvrs numbers are spot on,...a large and really healthy Buck may reach 90lbs,...with all the meat carefully boned
    including the euro mount, was one I carefully weighed after dragging out and butchering on the boat

a lot of average forkhorned bucks are down around 55-70
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

While i got you guys here...what are some ways to minimize bear contact once deer are down. Obviously keepin the deer a reasonable distance drom camp, etc...?

Bear fence and a cheap portable radio left on.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/