Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiker killed by grizzly bear in Denali park

Default Hiker killed by grizzly bear in Denali park

"Predatory Grizzly".. Great..

Default Hiker killed by grizzly bear in Denali park

So a week after they allow carrying in DNP, a bear was shot, and the public calls outcry and complains.

2 years later, a guy gets eaten and he's "not" carrying a gun, and the public calls outcry and complains.

Love some of the comments.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    2 years later, a guy gets eaten and he's "not" carrying a gun, and the public calls outcry and complains.
    I haven't seen any mention of that one way or another - did it say someplace that he wasn't carrying a gun?

Really sad but only a matter of time before it happened. I remember being on a tour bus and pulling into one of the visitor's centers and tourists running down the hill to take a picture of a Grizzly sow and cubs. I was surprised one didn't get attacked that day. Now I am not saying this hiker provoked the attack, just that some people have no clue around bears. Denali Park was due for an attack.

It's actually pretty amazing that it's just the first fatal bear attack in the park's recorded history.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The recovery of the hiker's remains continues this afternoon. A large boar who was on the kill site was killed, and there is good reason to believe this is the bear that killed the hiker. A necropsy will occur. The bear was shot from a helicopter by an Alaska State Trooper who was assisting the NPS. The initial investigation last night and this afternoon leaves us believing that the hiker did not have bear spray and did not have a firearm. There is evidence that he spend 8 minutes or more taking pictures of the bear prior to the attack from a distance of perhaps 50 yards. Park regulations require and our pre-trip briefings emphasize that backcountry users to back away from bears that are less than 1/4 mile away.

Updated news releases will be posted on the park web site, www.nps.gov/dena and I'll be putting links to them in the Resource Management section of this forum.

John Quinley
    NPS Public Affairs

I don't want to pile on anyone's death, but I do not go anywhere without packing heat except for church and the airport. Period.

Ditto PacWestFishTaxidermy
    Paul

Not to drift the thread way off base, but why wouldn't you pack in church? Look at the list of shootings at churches. Evil generally thinks that church is a "gun free zone" making it a soft target, like schools.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Not to drift the thread way off base, but why wouldn't you pack in church? Look at the list of shootings at churches. Evil generally thinks that church is a "gun free zone" making it a soft target, like schools.
    My church is full of males that would unselfishly swarm regardless of danger. By the time I wanted to unholster, perp would be neutralized. Plus, I have to have a few hours of the week where I trust mankind and surrender completely to my faith.

C&P from ktuu:

HEALY, Alaska—
    Denali National Park and Preserve officials confirm that a solo backpacker was killed by a grizzly bear along the Toklat River Friday afternoon, making the death the first known bear mauling fatality within the park.

On Saturday, park officials identified that hiker as 49-year-old Richard White of San Diego.

Officials say three hikers discovered an abandoned backpack along the Toklat River. The hikers saw signs of a violent struggle, including torn clothing and blood, and immediately notified the National Park Service.

Alaska State Troopers and park rangers at Denali shot and killed a male bear protecting the kill site Saturday afternoon as investigators tried to reach White's remains.

The results of a necropsy on the bear, combined with pictures taken of the victim before the attack, confirm that it was the animal that killed White.

Park superintendent Paul Anderson says White was walking on a dry section of the river and approached the bear which was in some brush at the edge of the river.

"He approached the bear within approximately 50 yards, and spent more than 8 minutes photographing the bear before it attacked him," said Anderson.

Park officials say there may be 10 to 12 bears that frequent this area of the Toklat river over the course of the year.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-backpa...,5179239.story

Are people from California really this stupid? Those num-num's need to stay in LA and San Diego where they belong! He brought along his own demise.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Are people from California really this stupid? Those num-num's need to stay in LA and San Diego where they belong! He brought along his own demise.

At least he wasn't as dumb as Treadwell by bringing along a girlfriend as an hors d'oeuvre...

Brings back some childhood memories from back home in Montana....same kind of situation 25 years later. Internet hadn't been invented yet, but luckily google has scanned news papers [In this case The Spokesman Review].

Attack on April 27, 1987

Report released August 15 1987: From the news clipping.

"Kalispell - Five photographs taken by Libby photographer Charles Gibbs of the grizzly bear that was about to kill him appear in the September issue of Sports Afield, which was to be distributed to news stands Friday.

The color photographs of a female grizzly and three yearling cubs were taken April 27 by Gibbs, 40, who was fatally mauled after shooting the pictures on the southern edge of Glacier National Park.

Park officials said the photographs showed no aggressive behavior from the bears, although the animals were aware of Gibb's presence.

What the magazine calls the "last clear picture" taken by Gibbs shows the mother bear apparently running toward the camera, with the cubs close behind. It appeared to have been taken from about 50 yards away."

Attachment 62808

Title of the '87 Sports Afield cover story: "Photographers Are Dying To Get The Perfect Shot"

The only shame is he was not hiking in unit 7. Could use a few less bears around here!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    So a week after they allow carrying in DNP, a bear was shot, and the public calls outcry and complains.

Love some of the comments.
    Would you expect anything less?

It's a very sad and difficult providence. My prayers are with the hiker's family and loved ones.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Really horrific for the guy and his family. But I understand cause the pervasive media mentality of bears as harmless fuzz balls who only defend themselves when threatened gets people killed sometimes. Predatory bear is the correct term and this type of bear will stalk and kill its prey regardless of the camera and proximity, but it certainly made it easier in this case...
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by TundraT View Post
    The only shame is he was not hiking in unit 7. Could use a few less bears around here!

Really, A man dies and you can do nothing better than make light of it. Prayers are sent for his family.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    C&P from ktuu:

HEALY, Alaska—
    Denali National Park and Preserve officials confirm that a solo backpacker was killed by a grizzly bear along the Toklat River Friday afternoon, making the death the first known bear mauling fatality within the park.

On Saturday, park officials identified that hiker as 49-year-old Richard White of San Diego.

Officials say three hikers discovered an abandoned backpack along the Toklat River. The hikers saw signs of a violent struggle, including torn clothing and blood, and immediately notified the National Park Service.

Alaska State Troopers and park rangers at Denali shot and killed a male bear protecting the kill site Saturday afternoon as investigators tried to reach White's remains.

The results of a necropsy on the bear, combined with pictures taken of the victim before the attack, confirm that it was the animal that killed White.

Park superintendent Paul Anderson says White was walking on a dry section of the river and approached the bear which was in some brush at the edge of the river.

"He approached the bear within approximately 50 yards, and spent more than 8 minutes photographing the bear before it attacked him," said Anderson.

Park officials say there may be 10 to 12 bears that frequent this area of the Toklat river over the course of the year.

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-backpa...,5179239.story

I believe he probably did bring about his own demise. There are park rules about how close one can get to a bear for photographing.
    I approve of the killing of the bear, but it is unfortunate that idealistic people push the limits with wild animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast