Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fortmile Caribou Zone 3

Default Fortmile Caribou Zone 3

Hey all,

My buddy and I are getting ready to go hunt the Fortymile herd in Zone 3 near Chicken. We call the hotline and they said that there is very few caribou in zone 3. Does this mean there is a very low chance of even seeing any caribou? I have never done this hunt but what people have told me, is there is always caribou near chicken around this time. We need help!

Yes, there are very few caribou in that area right now. Things may change, but they are caribou and no one can figure them out!

Don't pay too much attention to that hotline. They have been known to give out bad info in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

2 years ago we did that hunt at this time of year and they were up closer to Eagle, but as a previous poster said they are bou and could be anywhere.
    Paul

"Don't pay too much attention to that hotline. They have been known to give out bad info in the past. "

Not this time though.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye59 View Post
    "Don't pay too much attention to that hotline. They have been known to give out bad info in the past. "

Not this time though.
    Yeah, right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Hey feel free to drive on over and check it out.

The area biologist would be your best bet.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I was there on the opener and there was not a bou to be seen. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. I know it's rare, but I think the hotline wasn't feeding us BS this time. I didn't hear or see anyone that got one.

IMG_0658.jpg

I was there as well, day 2 was much better, we ended up getting 3 caribou within an hour of eachother. I even got shot at this time! That was fun...But ended up getting this bull, I couldn't be happier with him, mmmmmmmm he is going to be tasty!!!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Did you shoot back? I would've.

Surprised we don't have a mandatory blaze orange statute yet.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I didn't shoot back, I was hunting with my first sargeant, he probably would have had an issue with that. We were quartering out my bull, when 2 more came around the hill with these yahoos chasing them. They got into a direct line between us. I could see the guy raise his rifle. I ducked down and started running, yelling the whole time. After he fired his buddy started lining up his shot. At which point me and my LT started waving our arms and yelling at them. I guess they saw us at then.

The First Sargeant went over and yelled at them for it after all this happened. All they said was "we knew you guys were down there, we just didn't know where"

The First Sargeant then said, "Well if that was the case you don't ****ing shoot!!!".

I was very very mad. I haven't been shot at since I was in Iraq. It's not an experience I particularly enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Did you shoot back? I would've.

Surprised we don't have a mandatory blaze orange statute yet.
    Everyone says they will shoot back, at who? You're out on the tundra, good luck. Reckless endangerment comes in many forms. I've come close to butt checking someone with my rifle but at the end of the day, I made it home with my bou and my body didn't become bear food at the bottom of a drainage.

As far as blaze orange, I still had zings and snaps while wearing a blaze orange vest AND blaze orange pack cover on my meat pack for the ENTIRE duration of my hunt. As soon as the bou was down, I tossed my blaze vest as high up as possible into the nearest tree while my blaze pack cover was on my pack as I hiked my meat out. Blaze orange only works if people give a ****.

And thus the reason I won't hunt up there and the reason we have tried to make this hunt less like a slaughter. You can't fix stupid.

Is it worth heading up tomorrow ?

Go for it. I've seen trucks coming through for the past two days with bou, so they are somewhere up there. One rig had 3 on there wheelers.

gokorn1, sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I didn't shoot back, I was hunting with my first sargeant, he probably would have had an issue with that. We were quartering out my bull, when 2 more came around the hill with these yahoos chasing them. They got into a direct line between us. I could see the guy raise his rifle. I ducked down and started running, yelling the whole time. After he fired his buddy started lining up his shot. At which point me and my LT started waving our arms and yelling at them. I guess they saw us at then.

The First Sargeant went over and yelled at them for it after all this happened. All they said was "we knew you guys were down there, we just didn't know where"

The First Sargeant then said, "Well if that was the case you don't ****ing shoot!!!".

I was very very mad. I haven't been shot at since I was in Iraq. It's not an experience I particularly enjoy.
    Just wear your IOTV and dont forget the plates!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    I was there on the opener and there was not a bou to be seen. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. I know it's rare, but I think the hotline wasn't feeding us BS this time. I didn't hear or see anyone that got one.
    I was hunting with 40Mile Air. We dropped on a ridge 25 miles from Central. As of last Wednesday, there was almost nothing near Chicken. The bou that is out there is running in groups of 3-12. Check out my thread on our hunt, for more info.

Where did you guys hunt? Chicken Ridge or up the Taylor?

Catamount

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    The area biologist would be your best bet.
    The area biologist don't have alot of info. They will be the first to tell you, " well it's the 40 Mile herd." 40 Mile Air flys the area everyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast