Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW GEAR THREAD...what rocked, what didn't? Let us know!

Default NEW GEAR THREAD...what rocked, what didn't? Let us know!

I know many folks are back from hunts so I thought I'd get this going right now, but from the other gear thread about what folks had planned on or had purchased, what ended up working and what ended up not working?

My thumbs up was a surprising one. The merino wool socks that I ordered were on backorder and I did not receive them. While in Costco, they had merino wool socks (not 100%, but 70% with nylon/spanex blend) at $12 for four pair. I picked up a pack and used them on my sheep and recent family hunt. THEY ROCK! At $3 a pair you can hardly go wrong and the fit was perfect for my smaller feet (they came in medium and large packs). I went back yesterday and bought two more bundles before they were gone!

My thumbs down so far was my first lite gear. I wont get into it as I need to contact them but I'm just not 100% impressed as I thought I'd be...mostly a durability thing...I'll keep you updated.

Brooks range pants and the supercub jacket were awesome!Never again will I leave with out a puffy suit.Soto kicked but,I think Riley is gonna replace his jet boil.And the nalo 3gt was a little big for a spike camp but was great to have all the room!And the new swaro spotter was great saved alot of space from my old leica and it changed me from a straight guy to angled love it!!

Didn't have anything fail but my dang digiscope eye piece from swaro,worked the day we left must of broke on the flight/pack in was a bummer was looking forward for some up close pics.Just reminded me I need to send it back in!

I thought of getting the digiscope eye piece but for $300, I can wait....I'm still rockin' an older straight spotter from Swarovski. It's heavy but it's got a bunch of game under its belt...

I wanted to throw it off a cliff lol but Riley reminded me I'd be out 300$ I hope swaro is good as leica on repairs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    I hope swaro is good as leica on repairs!
    In my experience, they've been unreal on the CS end of things...

My supercub jacket is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

I couldn't be happier with my KUIU gear. I put the Chugach jacket and pant through the test this year out fishing. Three solid days of rain out of POW and great results. The attack pants are the most comfortable pants I own. I much prefer to my mammot champs and my sport hills. The only complaint is the top front pocket doesn't have a zipper, but I know a good tailor shop and see if they can do it. I'm not too happy with the guide jacket only from a fit standpoint, its very tight in the upper chest.

Can't wait to get my hands on my newest piece of gear and put some rounds though it there Hunt_AK
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Can't wait to get my hands on my newest piece of gear and put some rounds though it there Hunt_AK
    Gonna be sad to see it go!!!

Most valuable? Trekking poles!!! I'm sure we'd have had to call search and rescue if we didn't have them! I know they saved me from falling multiple times. Kuiu guide jacket was great but the cuffs were a little tight. Soto stove rocked! Jerome's swaro digiscoping device failed us. OR krocodile gaiters were great for stream crossings.

Puffy gear - thumbs up. Shangri La 5 - loved it. All in all everything worked really well, wish my bivy was lighter but I can camp out without a tent in a downpour. As Mossyhorn said, Trekking poles! absolutely the best most used piece of gear on the trip. (In retrospect I didn't need my rifle could have shaved some pounds there....

My Kuiu gear was awesome! I was very impressed with the attack pants. They took everything I threw at them and came out fine. No rips tears or anything, and very comfortable. I was very happy with the spindrift as well. I didn't get to test out the chugach gear or my guide jacket, but will after this caribou hunt. I was not very impressed with thier Merino wool tops though. Mine has 3 holes in it, and the sleeves are starting to fray. My Kuiu gaiters were great as well, however the buckle on the bottom strap broke in half on the way out of my first sheep hunt. If I can't get them to repair it, I am going to try a set of OR.

Koflach degre boots were awesome, but a little squeaky. I saw Snyd had a remedy for that problem that I will try out. I like them much better than my Danner Pronghorns.

I really liked my MSR Hyperflow. My buddy had a Katadyn filter that took almost 30 minutes to fill up his Nalgene bottle. The hyperflow did it in about 2. We had no problems with floaties or bad tasting water with the hyperflow, even after drinking from several silt water creeks and glacial lakes.

My MSR Fury 2 tent had condensation problems. I am probably going to sell it and go for a Go Lite SRL 3, a Hilleberg Kaitum, or Nallo 2 GT. I am going to be in the market for a better solo tent too. But I need to to some research. Looking for something under 2.5 pounds, free standing, durable, and waterproof.

No problems with my MSR Whisperlite International stove. I was not a big fan of liquid fuel stoves in the past, usually because the leak everywhere. I had no problems with this one. I still prefer the canister stoves though. Much more compact, and no fooling around with have to let it burn for a couple minutes before you can turn the gas up and get the jet going.

Hawk Vittles tasted much better than mountain house, but they take a long time to soften up. About 20 to 30 minutes. I do still love the MH Beef Stroganof though. mmmmmm

The Vanguard Pistol Grip ball head I put on my Cullmann tripod was great. Much better than the standard 3 way heads. The grip has a trigger system where you squeeze the trigger to move the head around, when you release it locks it in place. It was very smooth, and it made it very easy to track critters on the move.

I liked the Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15 bag, it's small and light weight and kept me very warm. I am thinking abotu getting a lighter bag, like a 20 or 30 degree for early season sheep next year though.

Leki Makaul Airlight Trekking poles were one of the best investments I made.

Hopefully I get to test some more stuff out on my Caribou hunt. Looks like there wont be much at Chicken this year, but I am going regardless. Hopefully we can find a few of them in there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Merino wool was as good as advertised, I will be expanded on the little bit I have now. Barneys yukon pack was crucial to getting my caribou off the mountain as quickly as I did, the old Kelty would have made things very very difficult. Didn't really have anything that didn't work out for me, just a few things I didn't end up needing. I wont be going hunting in my leathers again without some gaiters, my feet got wet from having wet pant legs from walking through wet grass.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

My favorite new piece of equipment in recent years is the Katadyn base camp micro filter. No more pumping. Hang it up and come back an hour later to almost 2 gallons of clean ready water.

Forgot the merino! Been using capilene for 20 years and this was an eye opening year using the merino. I had merino top to bottom (socks, bottoms, boxers, top, hat) and after 8 days I didn't smell great but it was nothing like synthetic and it still felt nice against my skin. I was was really suprised with the SL5, It got dryer inside as the days went on and the natural convection carrying air out the top made it a nicer place to wake up than a tent full of my own wonderful aromas. Being able to wear boots inside was great as well. Hawk vittles were a nice change of pace but I found they benefited from a second shot of boiling water after about 10 minutes or they were too cold/crunchy for my taste even with the bag inside the jetboil cup. The only gear I hauled in and out without using was fuel and that was my fault for doubling the numbers in my head.

Man soon as my wife graduates from community college, gets a job I hope I can buy gear like you guys have

Kuiu attack pants - Absolutely awesome. I've always used $20 wind/exercise pants from Addidas/Nike/etc. and still use them for most of my outdoor activities, but for trips where I only bring the pair of pants I'm wearing, the attack pants are it. Well worth the investment, and the burnt olive color is the perfect all-terrain color, especially in the mountains. I like it way better than their camo pattern.

Kuiu chugach rain pants - Really good, better than anything I've previously tried. I really like the full-length side zippers for getting them on and off without taking my boots off. They're really stretchy, waterproof, and seem to breathe reasonably well. I have the jacket on order, too, but I've been waiting over a month and a half for that. Same story with color - I really, really like the burnt olive.

Marmot Grid 2p tent - It's small for two people, but very well built and will be my mountain tent for a long time to come. Perfect for one person, a tight fit with two but worth it for the lightweight bomb-proof construction.

Puffy suit - I am sold on this. I thought the pants were a little overkill, but man, after coming back to camp bone-tired and chilled it was awesome to sit around in cozy comfort.

Hawk Vittles - A very tasty change of pace, but as others have noticed they take a long time to hydrate. I used these meals on nights where we were back to camp early and sleep time was a little less precious. I really dislike their bag design and hope they put zippers on their bags at some point. As it was, I was very glad to find a random paperclip in my pack. I also tried out their "snuggie" to keep the food warm. I suppose it worked, but it wasn't a great design. I'll continue to use these as a supplement to freeze-dried food, but my wife didn't feel well after eating these meals, so they might not agree with all stomachs.

Default NEW GEAR THREAD...what rocked, what didn't? Let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Man soon as my wife graduates from community college, gets a job I hope I can buy gear like you guys have
    Pfffft. Mr 2 Polaris rangers and 2 Polaris Rmks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

323 I thought you were panhandling 300 bucks a day at SW. That will get you some pretty nice gear if you didn't waste it subway.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Pfffft. Mr 2 Polaris rangers and 2 Polaris Rmks.
    No rmks here old junky 600 shift and junky 550 iq trail sled

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    323 I thought you were panhandling 300 bucks a day at SW. That will get you some pretty nice gear if you didn't waste it subway.
    That was just 2 days before the sheep opener. So just 1 day...

Thermarest Neo Air Sleeping mattress, very lightweight and extremely comfortable.

North Face Cat's Meow sleeping bag, again very lightweight and toasty warm.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast