Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kotzebue caribou hunt

Default kotzebue caribou hunt

Hey guys,
    I am headed up with two buddies on the fifth of September for 11 days of hunting. I just wanted to get a report if the caribou are moving down yet or if it is still to warm. I was up last year and got two really nice ones but it was unseasonally warm on the Noatak. We flew with Brooks Range Aviation and they did a good job. This year we are flying with Jared Cummings out of Kotz to see some new country. Any caribou info would be good.

What can you tell me about Brooks Range Aviation and where they drop their hunters (23 and 26A). Is the hunting good and are there fishing opportunities. I am going to book a trip next year. By chance do you know about flying out of Happy Valley.

i haven't heard any reports yet but what i can definately tell you is bring rain gear!!!! it has been terrible weather up here the last few weeks and rivers are as high as i've seen. most rivers and streams are at bank full or flooding so hopefully by the time you guys get up here things will improve. i would imagine people will start coming in soon. you made a good choice on who to fly with. he's about the only one i would recommend to my friends.

Farmer,
    I do not know anything about flying out of Happy Valley. Jay and Judy Jespersen own and run Brooks Range Aviation. They did everything we expected and were first class. My partner had flown with them many times and lived in Bettles for a while. They flew us over the Brooks range (a sight to see,moose ,bears, and sheep) into a lake just off of the Noatak River. I believe they can fly you just about anywhere you want to go. They have beavers on floats and a very nice otter for larger groups. Tell them Moose from Arkansas says hi if you decide to book with them. We drove up the haul road and they picked us up at Grayling lake. That way we could bring all of our own gear without paying commercial freight. You can also fly directly into Bettles if you like for a slightly cheaper cost. Good luck and start your planning now.

Are the rivers still up or are they starting to recede a little? Any bou being taken or is it still a little early yet?

Talk to Strangerinastrange land. He'll tell you what they're doing. Last I talked to him, about a week ago; they weren't down yet.

I was just up to OTZ today and had a chance to talk to one of the locals. He had said that they are starting to see a few in Ambler and in Kiana. I don't know with whom he talked with, but I believe him.

Thanks Ivkara,
    I sent out a message to Stranger in a strange land for some info. I understand he is in those parts. Only 11 days to my first hunting day, I bet they will be moving by then. With a little luck it will be colder this year than last. Has the rain stopped yet?

I responded by e-mail, wouldnt wann stir up rumors here or such, but, Yes, indeed , cows and calfs are crossing and strting to make "trails" and yes some Bulls are following (ive eaten but not seen Bulls myself lately), they are delicious, and yes, theres 'More to come"

I didnt see a Caribou for 6 weeks till fairly recently, its a cool rainy summer(bring spare clothes with yer raingear) and bugs dont have them bunched up much, but its early in the season and the Caribou are just starting to Bunch up.
    Today the rain has stopped, but tomarrow and the rest opf the week dont look so great. Hope for cold and clear, That will move caribou , for sure.

I have a few hides now, and lookin' to kill for more..........

PS;
    the GOpro is AWSOME!!! Gotssome serious action now Thanx for the help Bullbuster !!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger, Thanks for the PM. I am praying for cold for a lot of reasons,less Bugs,Caribou movement, and comfort for a flatlander fat boy. It just won't feel like Alaska if its 70 friggin degrees. Come on Caribou migration!!

Flatlander? I grew up about 30 miles north of cotter ark. They might not be alaska mountains but them ozark hills ain't flat.
    Good luck to ya and be safe.

Barbwire,
    What a coincidence. My wife and I live on the White River and run a luxury troutfishing lodge. We have a Cotter mailing address. We live on the Baxter county side on a bluff right above the White Hole. Glad to hear you made the ultimate move to Ak. Our hills aint high but our valleys are sure deep!

I just read your post after I posted mine. Three of us as flying out with Jared on the 4th. At least the weather forecast looks like we will get out to the bush. We will leave the bush on the 14th. Anxious to see rain. In South Dakota two months with less than one inch and 103 degrees today.

hey white river! I dont live too far from you in southwest missouri. I will be flying out with Jared on the 14th for my hunt. Not been to Kotz before so very much looking forward to it and seeing some new country. and hopefully having good weather and good hunt. Praying the weather straightens out before i get there. I do have a ? for anyone who knows. My hunt will be the 14th-24th have not taken any caribou that late before usually early sept or late august. I was wondering if the bulls will be starting to get rutty and was getting concerned if they will be good eating at that time? Caribou is one of my favorite to eat is my daughters absolute favorite to eat so we are looking forward to haveing fresh bou but now i been wondering a little about that.

Default kotzebue caribou hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantman View Post
    Anxious to see rain.
    You do know that many rivers in the NW are flooding due to rain?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Nope , no Rutted WACH Bulls before the end of the month. If you making meat in the time frame your describing, you'll be just fine. The Meat is as fat as its gonna get, to take them through rut, and all its exhausting chores, but thats not until the start of Oct.

The Kobuk and all other rivers are still flooded, all the way up to our road at home, so says the Wife. The Wulik hit 15 feet above normal a week or so back, but is a bit lower now.

When I camp in weather like this, windy, rainy , blah, I bring a spare dome tent to hang and dry stuff up in and keep other gear outta the weather and my tent, if I have to spend a long spell in the tent, some room is really nice.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by thewhiteriverinn View Post
    Barbwire,
    What a coincidence. My wife and I live on the White River and run a luxury troutfishing lodge. We have a Cotter mailing address. We live on the Baxter county side on a bluff right above the White Hole. Glad to hear you made the ultimate move to Ak. Our hills aint high but our valleys are sure deep!

Yep, Them valleys are deep alright. I lived on the north end of bull shoals, we still have 40 acres north of theodosia. We try and make it back in winter to do some late season deer hunting and see family (in that order). Interesting side note: We got a neighbor back home that works on the slope, he commutes from ozark county, mo to the slope every two weeks. This world just keeps gettin smaller.

Any "New ,Good" news on the Caribou starting to move down. Just a few more days until hunting time and I am Jonesin for it something fierce. I'm seeing caribou everywhere,on the ceiling,in the shower,in my back yard,everytime I close my eyes. My wife says ,"Is Caribou all you ever think about?" I tell her HECK YEAH!! If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies. Am I the only one with this"affliction"?

heard a few people in town saying they were "starting" to cross way upriver. prob head up that way around the 14th. haven't heard too much really yet. weather has still been pretty poor up here, rainy and windy.

Thanks for the info justin. I have ordered better weather for my hunt, it just hasn't gotten there yet. I'll try to bring some of our Arkansas "drought weather" with me when I come. If not, I've hunted in the rain before. No leather boots for me this year,I've learned my lesson on that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast