Thread: Brand new to anchorage area looking for help.

Default Brand new to anchorage area looking for help.

I have hunted all over the south from white tail to duck to wild boar, but I am lost when it comes to Alaska. I am in the army and want to continue to hunt I even retook the hunter education course to get accustomed to the laws but I'm kinda overwhelmed by the Amount of land there is. I'm lookin for experience to guide me in the right direction for day hunts , good public land or even who to talk to about using private land. Really any help will be greatly appreciated please help me to keep doing what I love.

Scroll down further and click on "walk about". You need to go and talk to MacGyver. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...out-moose-hunt

THe guy is looking for somone sneaky to go do some moose hunting. Take the same truck, and ill bet you will learn more info than any sane person could experience in 10 years of living in AK

Bet you a Hundered dollar bill he is a good old sour dough, and just would like some company, and help packing out a moose. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Seth.mattox View Post
    I have hunted all over the south from white tail to duck to wild boar, but I am lost when it comes to Alaska. I am in the army and want to continue to hunt I even retook the hunter education course to get accustomed to the laws but I'm kinda overwhelmed by the Amount of land there is. I'm lookin for experience to guide me in the right direction for day hunts , good public land or even who to talk to about using private land. Really any help will be greatly appreciated please help me to keep doing what I love.
    The only private land you can hunt is owned by Ahtna(native corporation), and they allow predator hunting and bison hunting both of which you have to pay for.

Then there are some of the farmers in Delta Junction that will allow you to hunt on their property for bison, geese, and cranes. Some charge a fee and others might let you for free.

You need to get a copy of the hunting regs and study study study! They are very detailed and confusing so spend lots of time trying to understand them.

Figure out how far you are willing to drive to hunt and then study that are or areas in more depth in the hunting regs so you can figure out what is in season in that area.

Are you at Wainwright or Ft Rich?

The search feature on here is a good start. There has been a lot of good info posted in these forums over the years.
    As far as hunting spots don't expect much help there. Most people are just not going to give up there hunting spots.
    A good way to find spots is using google earth,maps and the hunting regs to locate potential spots. Then putting in the legwork and checking those spots out much like the rest of us have done.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've been studying up since I found out about comin up here so I feel pretty comfortable in that aspect. I heard about the native land and how expensive that was, but it's definately an option, and as far as anyone Giving me the grid to their honey hole I would never do that so that though never crossed my mind I'm just trying to get a general area where I can leave Ft Rich( that's where I'm stationed by the way) and drive out there have time to hunt and drive back without having to set up a camp. I've heard the valley has some places but as far as moose mostly spikes or forks, but it's my first season up here I'm not tryin to break records right away ya know. I'm prepared to do the leg work that the fun part for me scouting area is my favorite thing to do besides pull the trigger.

First off many thanks for the service to our country. Next, it's like hitting the jackpot, finding this forum. what a wonderful and helpful bunch of guys and gals. Do some searching, ask the troops on base and go explore. You'll find what we all did, a great state. Good luck.

I think day hunts are really hard, even weekend long hunts are hard. I like to just set aside a whole week. You have to travel quite a distance from Anchorage to get to land on which you can legally hunt without a million restrictions. Firstly what are you interested in hunting? (moose, caribou and bear being the most common ones).

If you are looking for moose close by try around Talkeetna and Petersville. Plenty of moose in those areas but you have to find them.

If you want black bears hike up Crow Pass between Eagle River nature center and Girdwood, make sure you stop by fish and game for the permit first!
    Another good black bear spot close by is south of Anchorage along the Seward highway and Hope road. Stop your vehicle and glass the hills for a bear then make a stalk or climb up the mountains and glass from the top. Either way you are bound to spot a black bear.

Those are your main day hunts from Ft Rich.

The predator hunting permit on Ahtna land is not that expensive, want to say it is $150 for a year. Bison you have to be drawn for and it is $1200 or $1500 I forget which.

Thank y'all for the helping me get pointed in the right direction I got some pretty good tips. I'm goin to put up another Post asking to see if anyone wants some company on a upcoming hunt maybe let me get some advice and techniques especially when it comes to cleaning and packing out big game. If y'all know anyone I'd appreciate sending them my way I'm strong and know how to hunt and stalk so I wouldn't be in the way just lookin to help and learn.