Thread: Alaska Ferry Experience?

Default Alaska Ferry Experience?

I was checking out the Alaska Ferry online, from Whittier to Valdez, and it looks like a doable option for me and my wife in our 24' rental RV, but a little pricey. Does anyone have any experience doing this? We drove from the KP up and around to Valdez last year. It was a beautiful drive, but burned a ton of fuel in the 30' beast we rented last year. On top of that, it consumes the bulk of a precious AK day. Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefisher View Post
    I was checking out the Alaska Ferry online, from Whittier to Valdez, and it looks like a doable option for me and my wife in our 24' rental RV, but a little pricey. Does anyone have any experience doing this? We drove from the KP up and around to Valdez last year. It was a beautiful drive, but burned a ton of fuel in the 30' beast we rented last year. On top of that, it consumes the bulk of a precious AK day. Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks.
    I have done the "drive around to Valdez and then take the ferry back to Whittier" thing before and it is a GREAT way to go. I would highly recommend it if you can afford it.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

The wife and I did a circuit down to Seward for a whale cruise, up to Whittier and over to Valdez on the ferry, then up to McCarthy and then back to Wasilla. The ferry ride on the MV Aurora was pleasant; it definitely beat trying to drive all the way around from Seward to McCarthy. We got to relax in comfortable seats and enjoy the scenery across the sound including a swing by Columbia glacier and also had a pretty good dinner on board to boot. It would be a pleasant change of pace if you have already done the drive before. It's not cost effective, but it is less time and quite comfortable.

I took my 21 ft rv over to Valdez from Whittier in mid June. Very nice ride. I've done it a couple times in past yrs. check the ak marine hwy website. I think very soon the driver rides for free. After labor day? I opted for the one way ticket to get here. Did not know my exit date or if I wanted to drive out. I believe the fast ferry runs on Thursday's from Whittier. It's almost 3 hrs quicker. Again, check their website. Any specific questions feel free to ask me.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

It used to be one of our favorite trips back when the ferry pulled up in front of Columbia Glacier until Brad Phillips complained about the competition which was BS IMHO. Anyway, it's still a great trip. Make the loop around to Denali Park, across Denali Hwy then down to Valdez and take the ferry back. Great trip and the blueberries are great now along the Denali Hwy.

Thanks for your input guys. As mentioned, definitely not cost effective, but it will save a day of driving, and we'll get some great scenery along the way. Much appreciated.

Default Re: Alaska Ferry Experience?

The Chenega is the fast ferry, but it has limited car space and just a snack bar. The Aurora is slower, but has greater capacity and a fulk galley. The difference is about 3 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    The Chenega is the fast ferry, but it has limited car space and just a snack bar. The Aurora is slower, but has greater capacity and a fulk galley. The difference is about 3 hrs.
    The galley is nice, but the passenger capacity is the same on both and the Chenega can pack more cars because there is no tunnel on the starboard like the Aurora.

As of Oct 1st drivers go free, at least the Kodiak/Homer trip is.