Thread: Kodiak Deer Population

Default Kodiak Deer Population

Well I found out my moose and caribou hunt might get cancelled because the river I planned on floating might be flooded out. So I am still crossing my fingers for better conditions to occur, but in the meantime I am thinking of a back up plan for meat. The first thing that crossed my mind was a mid-November Blacktail Deer hunt on Kodiak. I was curious how the population held up over the winter. I have heard the island sometimes experiences population crashes. It seems like I recall hearing rumors of a population crash last winter due to excessive snowfall. Anyone know if it did indeed happen or is the population still doing fine? Thanks and rep points to anyone with good info.

No deer left on this island, I got the last one 2 weeks ago

Ha Ha, that's funny trying to keep you from going. gear up and go. I'm sure you'll have a great time. call my namesake Rolan (i spell mine Roland ) at Sea Hauk air. He'll treat you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Ha Ha, that's funny trying to keep you from going. gear up and go. I'm sure you'll have a great time. call my namesake Rolan (i spell mine Roland ) at Sea Hauk air. He'll treat you well.
    Hey Thanks for the advice and the update Roland. Do you know how the population fared through the winter? I'd give you some rep points but I already gave you some and it won't let me give you any more yet.

A lot of us were pretty worried, but I've heard some, "fair to okay," reports so far,

from friends who were out at the starting gun,.... nothing stunning, but no meadows full of skeletons either

You should be able to find some freezer stock, I'd say
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    A lot of us were pretty worried, but I've heard some, "fair to okay," reports so far,

from friends who were out at the starting gun,.... nothing stunning, but no meadows full of skeletons either

You should be able to find some freezer stock, I'd say
    Thanks Kodiakrain. Rep points comin your way.

Just got back from hunting goats on Kodiak. Didn't see a single deer, fresh crap or even a track. The pilot of the air charter said there aren't very many deer remaining unless you travel down to the south end. Oh, by the way....we harvested 2 goats.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Oh, by the way....we harvested 2 goats.
    Thanks for the update and Congrats on the goats... that deserves its own thread.....and PICS!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Deer are here, just have to look a bit harder. I've seen deer everyday in the woods. Last I talked to the bio he said they estimated 30% loss I think.

My boys and I have seen plenty of Deer this summer, just walking around the islands near town,...
    and looking pretty healthy also

The entire herd,....maybe thinned out some,...but the strong ones made it through,...
    it's all good
    to have to hunt a little harder,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !