Thread: Hunting methods for ptarmigan and rabbits

Default Hunting methods for ptarmigan and rabbits

I am curious about how other folks hunt ptarmigan and rabbits. Out here where I live in Rural AK we primarily hunt ptarmigan in the winter and early spring months when we can travel on our snowmachines to the areas where they are abundant. Most folks shoot them with 22 cal. rifles, some use shotguns. We shoot them went they are on the ground, not when they are flying. I have heard that some folks who live on Alaska's road system use hunting dogs, I have also see some pics. Do most folks on the road system use hunting dogs to flush out the birds and do they usually shoot them in the air like other upland game birds ? I am wondering about rabbits too, how do most people hunt rabbits out on the road system? Do people have rabbit drives or do you use hunting dogs for them too? Or do you just hunt them like we sometimes do by walking slowing through the woods hoping to see them before they run off, so you can get a bead on them?

I use a dog when hunting birds. I don't really need the meat and it's way more fun/challenging for me to shoot them while flying. For rabbits I usually just walk slow through the woods with a shotgun, .22. or my bow.

-Eric

Here in Colorado I use my bow with some of those rubber blunt tips. Seems to do enough trama. We hunt them during the archery elk season. They only reside above timber line here in Colorado. Anyone have any good camp recipes for these birds they want to share. We always seem to have a few to cook up during the season.

Check Out The Ptarmigan Recipe Over On The General Discution Forum.

Hey Lab Man You Do Utilize The Meat Though Dont You?

Absolutely I eat the meat! Besides the fact the it's legal and morally right to salvage the meat, I love small game. I posted a couple killer recipes not to long ago under "grouse/ptarmigan recipes". The thread is under the small game forum.

-Eric
    Last edited by lab man; 04-20-2007 at 17:10. Reason: Thread location