Thread: Flies for char and grayling?

Default Flies for char and grayling?

Headed up to northwest Alaska to do some hunting and fishing. I was wondering what people have had success with for the char up there and grayling as well. Also, what size hooks? Haven't done a lot of fly fishin but have caught some fish here and there.

Never leave home without Clousers. We use them from in the fall in #2 to #8 for char and #8 to #12 for grayling.

I really like fishing for graylings with old-school wet flies, esp. soft hackles, and have found that a partridge and peacock does really well, as does a beadhead soft hackle. For quill wings you can't go too wrong with a Royal Coachman. Sizes 12-16 in both categories.

For dry flies, mosquitoes and Griffiths gnats, 14-18. If they're not hitting, try going smaller. On fast water a royal humpy is good.

In addition to the above...You can't go wrong with WoolyBuggers and Egg-sucking-leeches!And, of course, I never go fishing without Elk hair Caddis dry flies in my box. These fish are just like grizzly bears right now in that they are eating as much as they can before winter sets in.

Thanks for the info. i'll pick a few of each up before I go.

It's been raining non stop up here for the two weeks I've been up here, hope it let's up for you. All the above suggestions are great!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

nearly every grayling i've caught in this state has been on a #12 renegade, either double or single.

chris

This is going to sound stupid and I'm sure it's a weird coincidence, but I got out a renegade once this year, snagged two fish in the belly in a row, and put the thing away for good.

B.B is spot on for the Char as well as smaller Flash Flies for Char. and Jim as always provides sound options with the Woolley Bugger and its Morphs such as the ELS. I do have a fishing friend that fishing nothing but size 12-14 Rens on the Chat and does decent however I with ML and am not a huge fan. Standard stuff works well including the Ren however I am a big Trude Fan which is all inclusive of any down wing Caddis type fly with its Morphs i.e. the Coachman Trude size 14-12-10 and jusy about any Caddis if I am fishing dry however over the years the G Gnat is almost the best of the best fished with a slime line.

Rose and I just got off the Chena. Fishing was excellent using size 12 double and single Renegades. We have a spot we dapple them for short 3 foot floats among the logs and usually catch a larger fish or two before disturbing the hole. Rose caught one nearly 18" and another that was the spitting image out of the same spot. Literally had to drag her away so I could fish some place too. She called me a big baby!? We caught several today that were really nice large grayling.

Tried some lighter small size 16 mayfly patterns that worked ok with a nice hatch of lighter mayflies coming off the water. Same spot I hooked a 19" grayling in a belly fin with a size 12 red butt elk hair caddis. Broke that fly off. Missed mashing down the barb so just nipped it off of the line at the fin.

A very excellent day for dry flies and grayling with cool drizzle. Just beautiful, early autumn-like weather...

Our favorite flies for grayling so far are the Renegade, single and double, 10 or 12 size. Too easy to buy em so Rose doesn't tie em.