Thread: Getting to Water Pump on Outboard Jet Drive

Default Getting to Water Pump on Outboard Jet Drive

I'm going through my outboard jet before hunting season and am hoping someone with more experience can help me out. I am trying to get to the water pump to check the water pump impeller (small, rubber), and replace if necessary. I apologize if I do not use specific enough terms in my description here. So far, I have removed the jet foot (grate), impeller sleeve, and the impeller and associated keys, etc. I have tried unbolting several things to try to get to the next level up the motor where I think the water pump is. Which bolts do I undo? It seems like regardless of what I do, something is attached somewhere making it so I can't get to the pump. I know not all outboard jets are the same, so here are some photos and indentification.

The Motor is a 2000 90HP Honda
    The Outboard Jet Model is the "AN"

The four bolts around the shaft (#21 on schematic) as well as the four bolts orbiting in a circle pattern further outside the four around the shaft (#30-33 on schematic) all came out easily. When the jet didn't come off, I didn't leave them out because I worried it might end up creating a problem. Bolt #73, near the outlet seems to be holding the unit on but I can't get it out. I'm trying to get to the impeller (#78).

"take it to a mechanic" is perfectly acceptable advice. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get to the water pump thought.

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's been a couple years since I pulled a jet unit off but I remeber it was not complicated. Bolts #30-33 all come off and also #72.
    The unit might need a little "persuasion" with a soft mallet as it's most likely got sand and debris caked on from the inside around bolt #72. Then it should slide out exposing the water pump resting on the lower section you removed.
    Don't be suprised to find the cavity around bolt #72 full of sand, it's normal.
    Once you get the foot off, the rubber impeller is easy to swap out.
    Why can't you get bolt #72 out? (Access, too tight, etc...)
    I am thinking mine came out from the top vs. inside the exhaust tube. Don't recall having to get in the exhaust/wash area rather it was exposed and easy to remove.
    Got a pic of that section?
    BK

I have no experience removing a water pump from a out board. When you say you can't remove #72 bolt is it stuck? If so it may have lock-tight on it did you try heating the bolt? Heat loosen up lock-tight.

On my jet units the aft bolt is just that, a bolt that drops into a recess in the casting. In the diagram yours appears different. It looks like it may be a stud (part 72) that's pinned by part #73. I can't blow up your attachment without this site's advertisement overlaying it so I can't see for sure but I'd look at what #73 is there for before I started applying too much torque.

IF that part # 72 has a nut on top it may be concealed under a cover plate on top of the the tail of the engine's casting. That's what My Yamaha's have. I have to pry the flush cover off to expose the bolt. As I said, your #72 looks like a stud. Is there a nut under a cover hatch on the top side? My initial guess is yes. To re-align a through pin like #73 for reassembly would be a pain in the butt. It's more likely there's a nut on top.

By the way, if your engine is pumping cooling water, that is it's peeing, don't bother to replace anything. It's pretty much a foolproof system. It works until you pack the water pump galleries with sand or melt the impeller to the stainless cup by running it without water. If you do the latter the cup can release from the housing and rotate, blocking water flow. In either case you'll know because the engine won't pee and will overheat and go into stutter mode. If the pee stream is weak the first order of business is to run a piece of wire into the hole to clear any small obstructions. Bottom line, it it pees? Don't bother looking into the water pump. You should know how to drop that jet unit though.

Thanks all.

Thanks for the help. I don't think Bolt #72 is stuck, rather it is a weird shape. Bolt #72 is tapered on one end (like a wooden door stop) and I couldn't see a way to back it out because I don't own a tool (if there is such a tool) for gripping tapered bolts. In the photos attached you can see the nut (#74) that attaches to bolt #72. It's easy to take off. I apologize that the photos are not more zoomed out (I'm not at home now to take photos) but I hope you can see from the photo that I could not see a way to get at bolt #73 that might be pinning in #72, Mr. Pid. I thought the same thing about #73 but I haven't been able to figure out how to access it.

The engine is peeing fine. It used to get clogged up often but usually the culprit was the black plastic outlet so I pulled that off and simply routed the pee house outside the engine. It's much larger in diameter and doesn't clog with sand (usually).

thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If #30-33 and #72 are off, then the jet is unbolted. If the jet still wont come off, then I would say the culprit may be the top of the splined shaft. Perhaps the key is partially sheared (been there) or maybe the splines weren't adequately greased when assembled (done that).

So, I need to figure out a way to get #72 off......
    It is different than a normal bolt in that it doesn't have a head that you can get a wrench around. On the threaded end where the nut is (#74) the bolt is flat on one edge. Maybe you can see that in one of the pictures?

gracias.

In your last two pictures you have a nut showing. Remove the nut and tap out the pin. Then the jet unit should release and you will see bolt/ pin #72.
    Hope that helps Jack
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

In your photos it looks like you have no access to the stud #72. If that's true #73 must be a tapered pin that captures the lower half of #72, which also looks tapered? Does #73 spin when you try to loosen nut #74? If so? I'd lock on the end with vice grips. The exposed head end isn't important so a grip mark shouldn't interfere with anything. But I'm just talking out loud. If my imagination is correct and there is a tapered pin jamming a tapered stud there must be a re-assembly torque value that you'll need.

Your engine's drive housing is different than any engine I've had a jet on. Good luck

Sounds good. I had the nut off before so no problem there. I was worried that because the pin the nut is on (#73) is threaded in part it might be bad to tap on it. I'll back the treads out a bit and then try giving it a tap tonight. Thanks.

Mr. Pid. Yes....it does spin with the nut on it. Thought about vice grips but didn't want to ruin the threads. I'll take a closer look

thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That squared off bolt (last two pics) is #73, correct? It looks to me that #72 goes vertically through the top of the nozzle into the motor, & #73 ties into it somehow. It appears that the keyed/squared bolt (#73) may be pressed in. If the nut (#74) comes off, can you tap #73 with a rubber mallet and move it?

Just wanted say thanks for all the detailed help. I finally got the jet off. You were right, #73 wedges against #72 and to get it off you have to tap #73 on the same side that the nut was on, after removing the nut. Assuming the other 4 bolts are out from underneath (#30-33), the jet will pretty much fall right off. I mean, you still have to remove the shift cables etc, but otherwise it's off. After my last post I'd tried to knock the bolt out but must have only been tapping from the side opposite the nut....anyway, I had no luck. I'd just about given up and had decided not to check the water pump, and just wait till next season when I realized the seal around my shaft was weeping a little grease. While talking with Alan at JKimberly on the phone I whacked it on the nut side......and simple....popped right off! Duh! Anyway, it's all sealed up with a new seal now and boy did that water pump need to be changed! The impeller was bad and even the metal housing was grooved. Luckily I caught the seal leak before it got bad so my shaft was fine. Interestingly enough, the jet unit on the Honda uses a Mercury water pump.....

If you can tell from the second photo.....bolt #73 never actually comes out. #72 is a pin that slides into the hole forward of bolt #73 and when #73 is tightened it holds the jet unit against the pin.

Thanks for all the assistance, you guys are great.

Glad you got her figured out. Always a good idea to check your water pump out at the beginning of the season. They will start to crack and still pump a stream of water out the pee hole. Last thing anyone wants is to lose the water pump miles up a river.