Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I legal?

Default Am I legal?

I will call G&F but from my experiance when asking other G&F departments questions I can get different answers from different people, so I wanted to check with you too.

I am a NR hunting bou (DC827) and moose in 20a. I can also take a wolf, NR do not need a tag.

Stuff I need to buy/getstill in yellow:
    1. Sealing required for wolf hide (only if I harvest, mustbe UNFROZEN hide), bear hide & skull
    2. If wolf hide is raw need an export permit
    3. Harvest ticket (free) for moose I do NOT need forcaribou because I drew a permit
    4. locking tag for moose AND caribou (I just bought a locking tag online, which seems odd since it seemed like just getting a general over the counter tag but I was told a drawn permit was not good for general hunt?)
    5. NO sealing for moose/caribou where I am hunting
    6. HOWEVER maybe get horns sealed to prove 50 miniumbefore splitting????? This makes my horns legla for life (otherwise, FYI you can NEVER - ever - split horns!)
    7. Permit to be on military land get when I arrive

Anything else I need? I have my hunting license

3. Harvest ticket (free) for moose I do NOT need for caribou because I drew a permit Correct
    4. locking tag for moose AND caribou If you plan on shooting a moose and a caribou you will need the non resident locking tag for each species. If you are planning on only shooting one of the other then you just need one locking tag but it would need to be a moose one that could be used on either species of animal since that tag cost more than a caribou.
    6. HOWEVER maybe get horns sealed to prove 50 miniumbefore splitting????? This makes my horns legla for life (otherwise, FYI you can NEVER - ever - split horns!) Never heard of sealing moose antlers, once you measure them and your moose is over 50 inches you are good for life or if the fish and game happens to check you in the field and measures them you are good for life. Plenty of people split the skull caps to ship antlers down south or even to move from one location to another as jobs and life dictate.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

If you are hunting moose in a spike/fork/50"/3 or 4 brow tine area DO NOT SPLIT the antlers in the field !

Leave proof of sex on the bear hide. Dont split the antlers. Only get a moose tag and use on moose OR caribou

Default Am I legal?

Also leave proof of sex on the moose.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    3. Harvest ticket (free) for moose I do NOT need for caribou because I drew a permit Correct
    4. locking tag for moose AND caribou If you plan on shooting a moose and a caribou you will need the non resident locking tag for each species. If you are planning on only shooting one of the other then you just need one locking tag but it would need to be a moose one that could be used on either species of animal since that tag cost more than a caribou.
    6. HOWEVER maybe get horns sealed to prove 50 miniumbefore splitting????? This makes my horns legla for life (otherwise, FYI you can NEVER - ever - split horns!) Never heard of sealing moose antlers, once you measure them and your moose is over 50 inches you are good for life or if the fish and game happens to check you in the field and measures them you are good for life. Plenty of people split the skull caps to ship antlers down south or even to move from one location to another as jobs and life dictate.

FYI according to a friend in Fairbanks who worked as a guide and for G&F for decades - he went to troopers office to see when you can split a moose rack from a 50" area.

The answer was NEVER straight from a troopers mouth. This was a couple months ago. I am not debating what everyone does, expediators he talked too do not even know this!

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    FYI according to a friend in Fairbanks who worked as a guide and for G&F for decades - he went to troopers office to see when you can split a moose rack from a 50" area.

The answer was NEVER straight from a troopers mouth. This was a couple months ago. I am not debating what everyone does, expediators he talked too do not even know this!
    Never is a long, long time... and not an accurate answer.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thats a new one on me! If I don't see it in a reg I don't buy it. Too many people spout off about regs and have nothing to back it up around here. Going to the fish and game and asking them or going to the troopers and asking them will get you as many answers as asking on here. Good thing moose antlers don't have a stamp or seal on them saying they are from a 50 inch area!

Believe it or not, the answer is in the published regulations. RTFR

Besides since you are a non-resident, as soon as you leave Alaska what you do is just between you, the moose and the state you live in.... and possibly your God.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Very good points especially about asking several people get several answers. I make this point a lot especially when some ask about airlin regs for firearms. Let me tell you in that situation, and what many do not understand, is that you aer subject to WHAT THE PERSON THINKS the regs are. And, most likely, if you point out why they are wrong your situation just get worse, they do NOT like when some hunter points out when they are wrong. Been here done that on a trip to POW a few years backflying out of Cleveland I had a nightmare!

Milo which regs? The 2012-2013 ones or the set of laws or somethin else? I tried to find it but cannot.

Also I suspect that trooper was wrong, but it got me thinking!

Yes. 2012-2013 Alaska Hunting Regulations. Read and re-read page 33 and 34 - take it literally. Its actually in there twice.

I'll save my speculation as to why you received the answer that you did.

For anything you're still unclear on - Call the TROOPERS. They enforce the regs, F&G doesn't. When you talk to the trooper, be sure to get his name & (possibly) his badge #. As stated many times, regs can be interpertered differently by different people. Even troopers don't agree on everything. If you have a trooper's name (that you spoke to regarding a potential violation), it should go a long way towards straightening out a problem a different trooper may have with what you've done. At the very least, it should carry a lot of weight with any judge hearing the case.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmmm i just feed all mine to the local bears anyway... guess i should tell them bears to stop bustin stuff up..

( when i said FEED... i ment they steal them all.. )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The regs seem pretty clear that you just must not alter the antlers (when taken in an area with antler restrictions) until after you have completed the salvage process ("If antlers must be salvated, they may not be altered prior to completion of all salvage requirements." pg 33 and 34. Salvage requirements are listed on page 22 and 28 and consist of transporting all edible meat to the point at which it will be processed (whether at a processor or your home if you are going to process it yourself). The bit on page 22 leaves out the "...prior to copmletion of all salvage requirements." part, which does leave it with a slight bit of grayness since one place says they may not be altered and and the other says may not be altered UNTIL...

DOPE!!!!I read pages 33-34 and missed it. And yes vague on 22. VERY good point about name and badge number. Thanks guys, this is a gray area to some extent and, combined with getting all edible meat out in great condition, something I am taking extremly seriously and making 100% sure I know what is required.

Thanks guys, I did try to search the regs guessing at keywords to search in my pdf but I missed it.

Don all edible meat means the meat from the ribs and neck as well as the quarters, back straps, and tenderloins. When you are done there should be a gut pile and a skeleton.

Once you get your meat and your unsplit antlers back to town and to a processor, you can probably split the antlers then and there, figure out how to ship them Outside, and nobody will ever give you any trouble about it. If you are going to be checked for the 50" requirement, it will most likely be in the field or maybe on the road driving to the processor. If you are really concerned about it, take it to a F&G office, have them verify the antler spread, and take down the name of the person that verifies. I don't think the troopers are out there looking for "gotcha" opportunities. If you take a legal moose and have some third party to vouch for you, they ought to leave you alone. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I fixed that for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    If you take a legal moose they ought to leave you alone. -Gr
    My point is that we should not accept the stance that law abiding hunters need someone to vouch for them to LEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Believe it or not, the answer is in the published regulations. RTFR

Besides since you are a non-resident, as soon as you leave Alaska what you do is just between you, the moose and the state you live in.... and possibly your God.
    Jest a thought // but you might want the take a quick look at the "Lacy Act"
    wes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast