Thread: portage lake

Default portage lake

Is it legal to kayak Portage Lake?

OK, yes, it's legal and, yes, it's a great trip. Went today and the place is amazing.

I have gone from the lake down the river toward the highway and want to get into the lake eventually. I have a three piece wet-suit and some other layering gear I use when in the serious cold water, biggest concern is to be careful not to cook yourself in it! Jumping in helps sometimes! Anyone done the river? It's a quick trip, leave a bicycle to cruise back to portage lake if your not shuttling vehicles. How is the shores on the lake? Any neat trails or beaches to be had, or destination to head toward, head left or right along shore? I've been on the cruise ship there, seemed pretty much like what you can see from the parking lot, but it's been forever since I was on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    I have gone from the lake down the river toward the highway and want to get into the lake eventually. I have a three piece wet-suit and some other layering gear I use when in the serious cold water, biggest concern is to be careful not to cook yourself in it! Jumping in helps sometimes! Anyone done the river? It's a quick trip, leave a bicycle to cruise back to portage lake if your not shuttling vehicles. How is the shores on the lake? Any neat trails or beaches to be had, or destination to head toward, head left or right along shore? I've been on the cruise ship there, seemed pretty much like what you can see from the parking lot, but it's been forever since I was on it.
    I've done that before. Lesson learned was to remember the bike lock key (don't leave it in the car at the other end.... ) Fun day trip.