Thread: petes creek trail unit 14c for blackbear

Default petes creek trail unit 14c for blackbear

i am thinking of trying for a blackie in here i have heard there are a lot of grizzlies anyone know if there are blacks im thinking going in 4 or 5 miles never been in there before

Peters Creek has a decent bear population, both brown and black. Don't know if this is accurate but if I remember correctly the first 4-5 miles of the trail is owned by Eklutna Native Corp. Might be worth looking into.

It is open to use the trail according to chugach state park

it also says that there is heavy hunter pressure from sheep and bear hunters anyone know

the trail is open been on it a time or two,if you are blackie hunting I seriously doubt there will be any issues with sheep hunters,yup plenty of bears in there...

Not a trail you see come up too often but there are bears to be found. Haven't been in about 20 years but last time we were stalked on the way out by a griz.

If the trail is half way decent you an et in there a ways on bike. Worth checking into before going in with a pack.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Eklutna Inc. has some of the lands at in the first part of the trail listed as "Patients", whatever that mean.
    http://eklutnainc.com/index.php?opti...d=25&Itemid=29

The trail is definitely fair game and you can probably hike the hills with no trouble but I don't know about hunting the land in that first stretch of trail.

I've been in the back end of Peter's Creek Valley. Saw a brownie sow with a cub and a couple of blackies. I wouldn't worry about running into sheep hunters on the first half of the trail.

Live pretty close. Fly over area and hike it regularly. Quite a few griz, few black bears. Lots better areas to chase black bears IMO. Good luck. Wackem. Don't forget to post a pic.

Funny you should mention this trail cause after work tomorrow I was gout

Funny you should mention this trail cause after work tomorrow I was going to give this a go. I'll report back afterwards....

great lt me know good luck

I'd be interested to see what you find. I live across the Glen from there and would like possibly see what is up there.

Well back from the hunt... Saw a bunch of pheasant and a guy walking out with one. Other then that I didn't see any sign of wildlife besides one set of moose tracks. This time I went up to the too of the mountain instead of skirting it like I did on my spring hunt. I saw a heck of a lot more sign last time! Also both times I've seen people climbing the mountain so there's a good chance everything was scared away. I think I would stick to the lower creek and see what you can glass from down there, but honestly that's just info from a more or less rookie hunter. I've only used the trail twice and in different seasons, so I don't know if what I gave you will help... Regardless good luck!

Have flown the Valley many times, there are allot of bears, both black and brown, the farther back you go, the better is should get. The south side where the goats hangs out is probably to steep. They will be around for another month or so.

Terry

so how far did you go in i read that you can take a bike in 5 miles and i think you saw grouse or ptarmigan

Yeah my bad wasn't thinking they were grouse. Last time I went the five miles and yes you could bike in fairly easily with a few ups and downs. This time I basically just went up the side of the mountain and it started raining as soon as I got there. Awesome hike though!

Default patents

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Eklutna Inc. has some of the lands at in the first part of the trail listed as "Patients", whatever that mean.
    http://eklutnainc.com/index.php?opti...d=25&Itemid=29

The trail is definitely fair game and you can probably hike the hills with no trouble but I don't know about hunting the land in that first stretch of trail.

I've been in the back end of Peter's Creek Valley. Saw a brownie sow with a cub and a couple of blackies. I wouldn't worry about running into sheep hunters on the first half of the trail.
    i think you mean patents, which are documents transferring interest in land from government to private property.