Thread: Sheep 1, pacific-23 0. Otherwise known as a great ime in the Brooks.

Default Sheep 1, pacific-23 0. Otherwise known as a great ime in the Brooks.

So, after years of dreaming and wishing, I got my act together to go sheep hunting for the first time this year. Typical winter of scheming, planning, spending money (not as much as these other guys honey, my gear was all on sale....) Anyway the time finally came and off I went on the long drive to fairbanks where my buddy was going to meet me. The original plan was to drive up together, but then I got sick and the trip got cancelled, uncancelled etc. The drive was a blast having never done it, and I was excited for the new spotting scope I ordered at the last minute and had drop shipped to another friends house in fairbanks. I was pleased with the scope (PF65ED11) until I tried to zoom - the BRAND NEW eye piece didn't work! A little irritated we took off up the haul road with an old loaner NIkon, ready or not we're going hunting!

After another cool drive and a nap in the truck we started hiking into our chosen drainage. Hiked pretty much all day, wasted a few hours trying a route into the next drainage that didn't pan out, and camped for the night.
    Day 2 we took off up and over into our home valley. Up to this point I had still never seen a sheep, as we crested the ridge they were everywhere! All lambs and ewes but several miles away we spotted a group of rams. Down we went, pitched camp, and off after the sheep. We managed to make a good approach and watched the group of rams for an hour or so from 350 yards - nothing legal but fun.
    Days 3-6 were pretty much the same deal. Lots of hiking, lots of picture taking, and lots more hiking to see that the rams were little because our crappy optics wouldn't tell us that from 2 miles away.
    The last couple days it poured and blew (just like hunting at home) and we took it fairly easy. On day 8 we bagged it early and walked out.

So we didn't shoot anything, or see anything legal for that matter, but I had an absolute blast. I also got completely hooked on watching the social interactions, and the overall chess game of sheep hunting.
    I Know I made a bunch of rookie mistakes, but that only makes me want to do it more and get better.
    Next year my optics will be better, (the wife told me to buy the Swaro, be done with it, and shut up about it). Hopefully I'll be smarter, or the rams dumber either way.
    I can't wait!

Now if I can find a billy to drag home, before I go chase deer for the freezer I'll really be happy....

Welcome to the addiction, buy the Swaro before she changes her mind.

Like my Son said to me last week on his first sheep hunt.... "Are we really going to climb up there dad"? Yes we are son, yes we are.

Sounds like you brought back a pack full of experiences, and eager for next year.
    Last edited by stid2677; 08-23-2012 at 19:15.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sounds like you had fun, and hopefully you learned a lot.

Good luck on the goat and deer hunts!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Now that you've been sheep hunting you'll never be the same! You'll be back!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Sorry it didn't come together, but it sounds like you had a good time. Being up there chasing sheep in that country is something else, like Snyd said, you'll be back!

Don't feel bad the majority of us went out on our first, second, third, etc sheep hunts and just learned a lot and had a good time. Congrats on the hunt and welcome to sheep hunting or is it watching?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Don't feel bad the majority of us went out on our first, second, third, etc sheep hunts and just learned a lot and had a good time. Congrats on the hunt and welcome to sheep hunting or is it watching?
    The lady at the hotel in Haines asked me what I was doing in the Brooks "hiking or photography", I just kind of smiled and said both... with a rifle