Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whitetail/blacktail and meat flavor???

Default whitetail/blacktail and meat flavor???

Well needless to say, got into a discussoin with a co-worker that black tail deer will taste the same as white tail. Was wondering what you guys would think. I think that they would taste different but being as it is i personally havent harvested a blacktail deer yet but have taken white tails from my grandparents farm. Whats your opinion?

I think it all depends on what the deer is eating. A corn fed white tail probably tastes much different than one living in the desert in texas. In oregon a Willamette valley blacktail tastes much different than one living in the pine forest.

If they are taken in the same area, I doubt they would taste different though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've personally only had whitetail once, but I have fed Blacktail to plenty of people who have only had Whitetail and "don't like deer meat" - they loved the Blacktail for its mild flavor. But like duckslayer said, on an apples to apples test I can't imagine much difference.

having harvested and eaten whitetails in more than three states, and Kodiak "sitka" blacktails as well, I can state they diffently taste different. The whitetails of Kansas, from the grain fields, taste "smoother" for some reason (fat I would assume). The corn fed Texas deer I shoot every year taste more like quality beef, than their northern cousins. the Missouri bucks had a strong (but pleasant) oak/tanin flavour. The blacktails of Kodiak had more "wilder" or of "wilder places" taste. I know it really ain't a good discription, but the flavor was there like a little hint of the sea, and maybe an aspeny bite to the tonque.

Wish I could wax poetic on the tastes and flavors of deer, I really have enjoyed them all. Really enjoyed the fresh tenderloins of moose just grilled up, the same day cut them from the moose we got last week!! But it had a more tender flavor than the bull I shot across the Tanana almost twenty years ago, and Just thinking on it brings memeories of the hunt and the great meals after.

So... Maybe some of the flavors we taste in our deer meat isn't something really there... it's something that exists in our memory of the hunt and the memories of smells each animal we harvest. Of the fresh smell of cedar in the hair of Texas deer, of the salt and sea breeze of kodiak island, of the smells of fresh hay on a Kansas buck, of the deep forest smells of moose in the fall...

Enjoy each, and all of the meat, share with friends and family, and give a toast to the fallen before each meal, and may hap if you agree with me - a silent thanks to those of us/you whom have gone on to the happy hunting grounds before us.

Chris

could also add, the flavor of the Fallow buck I harvested from the same field as whitetails in Texas taste different also; same natural feed, same corn feeders available. different flavour, but each good.

Chris

Its all good LOL but I do think they test different.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I'll take a blacktail from Alaska any day over a whitetail. Much better flavor in my opinion.
    BK

Speaking of eating blacktail... anybody heard how the population is this year. I had heard that it may be tough tough hunting due to winter losses. just curious ... would like to go but not sure time will permit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I'll take a blacktail from Alaska any day over a whitetail. Much better flavor in my opinion.
    BK
    +1

I enjoyed whitetail immensely prior to trying blacktail.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Default Yumm

100_4822.jpg

Blacktail is far superior in taste to a whitetail.. I grew up in Minnesota, killed and ate alot of corn fed deer, The PWS deer I got last year I would put right up their with moose.. Pretty close if not better IMO..

Hoytguy

I'm with Hoyt guy......Grew up in Wisco and ate whitetails from the UP of Mich to big woods and fields of Wisconsin and corn and bean fed southern Ill deer. While whitetail is fine eating, and actually has a richer taste than blacktail or moose, it does have more gamey taste to it. While I prefer moose over all of them, my first experience with blacktails in SE last year was absolutely fantastic. Much more mild, and to me the litmus test is how they reheat......whitetail is a one shot wonder for cooking (even in stews)....found blacktail to be excellent fare the next day....They are taaaaasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    I'm with Hoyt guy......Grew up in Wisco and ate whitetails from the UP of Mich to big woods and fields of Wisconsin and corn and bean fed southern Ill deer. While whitetail is fine eating, and actually has a richer taste than blacktail or moose, it does have more gamey taste to it. While I prefer moose over all of them, my first experience with blacktails in SE last year was absolutely fantastic. Much more mild, and to me the litmus test is how they reheat......whitetail is a one shot wonder for cooking (even in stews)....found blacktail to be excellent fare the next day....They are taaaaasty!
    He's a Hoyt guy. Of course he knows what hes talking about!! I'm with him and havent even tried blacktail, yet.

I think deer flavor is a combination of species and forage. I've eaten Mule Deer and Whitetail taken from the same field. And they tasted differently. The Mule Deer retained more of the sage brush flavor than the Whitetail. By far sitka blacktail is my favorite. I've never eaten any of the deer from Kodiak, but I've eaten a lot of deer from SE and they have their own flavor. I prefer it over move 100%. Now a nice fat cow caribou that was immediately cooled on a patch of snow, that's pretty tough to beat too.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    100_4822.jpg

Blacktail is far superior in taste to a whitetail.. I grew up in Minnesota, killed and ate alot of corn fed deer, The PWS deer I got last year I would put right up their with moose.. Pretty close if not better IMO..

Hoytguy
    What he & bkmail said.
    I've eaten lots of both & would opt for Sitka blacktail ANYTIME over whitetail. Sitka blacktail just seems to taste "sweeter" than other venisons, to me.

I am heading down to Kodiak in October for a blacktail hunt and was wondering how they taste. I haven't eaten much whitetail and while it was good, it didn't measure up to the caribou and moose I have grown use to up here. Does rut have any affect on the taste of blacktails?

I have shot and eaten a number of white tails deer in WI. Many of my relatives live there and I have eaten big bucks, does and yearlings for a good many years. I have also eaten a lot of Sitka deer over the years, some from PWS and some from Kodiak. The Sitka is FAR superior table fare in my opinion. It is milder and almost without exception more tender. I don't know why, since many of the white tails were corn fed and the Sitka even winter on kelp. I would rate a Sitka as one of the very best game meats and white tail would be down the list quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    I have shot and eaten a number of white tails deer in WI. Many of my relatives live there and I have eaten big bucks, does and yearlings for a good many years. I have also eaten a lot of Sitka deer over the years, some from PWS and some from Kodiak. The Sitka is FAR superior table fare in my opinion. It is milder and almost without exception more tender. I don't know why, since many of the white tails were corn fed and the Sitka even winter on kelp. I would rate a Sitka as one of the very best game meats and white tail would be down the list quite a bit.

I second that.. .Except I never ate a Kodiak Sitka.. so if any of you get one.. and are scared to try it.. PM me, Ill shoot you my address to drop it off..

Default whitetail/blacktail and meat flavor???

I go Whitetail hunting every year back in Pennsylvania and have been lucky enough to harvest a deer the last three years in a row. Having said that, I will take a Kodiak Blacktail over a young corn fed whitetail any day of the week. The whitetail that I've had from back east so far have been very good, but in my opinion, the Blacktail up here are much better. If you've never had Blacktail, you don't know what you're missing. Of course, the care that goes into the meat, after the kill, also has a lot to do with it.

I grew up in rural WI and about the only meat in our house was whitetail. Having lived in Kodiak for 9 years I will say that blacktails are considerably more tender and more flavorful if taken early in the season. Later the bucks lose some of the flavor due in part to the rut. Dall sheep is my favorite, but an August alpine blacktail is real close, whitetail would be closer to 7th or 8th place on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    having harvested and eaten whitetails in more than three states, and Kodiak "sitka" blacktails as well, I can state they diffently taste different. The whitetails of Kansas, from the grain fields, taste "smoother" for some reason (fat I would assume). The corn fed Texas deer I shoot every year taste more like quality beef, than their northern cousins. the Missouri bucks had a strong (but pleasant) oak/tanin flavour. The blacktails of Kodiak had more "wilder" or of "wilder places" taste. I know it really ain't a good discription, but the flavor was there like a little hint of the sea, and maybe an aspeny bite to the tonque.

Wish I could wax poetic on the tastes and flavors of deer, I really have enjoyed them all. Really enjoyed the fresh tenderloins of moose just grilled up, the same day cut them from the moose we got last week!! But it had a more tender flavor than the bull I shot across the Tanana almost twenty years ago, and Just thinking on it brings memeories of the hunt and the great meals after.

So... Maybe some of the flavors we taste in our deer meat isn't something really there... it's something that exists in our memory of the hunt and the memories of smells each animal we harvest. Of the fresh smell of cedar in the hair of Texas deer, of the salt and sea breeze of kodiak island, of the smells of fresh hay on a Kansas buck, of the deep forest smells of moose in the fall...

Enjoy each, and all of the meat, share with friends and family, and give a toast to the fallen before each meal, and may hap if you agree with me - a silent thanks to those of us/you whom have gone on to the happy hunting grounds before us.

Chris
    What a wonderfull description you gave. How I long to eat just i more Kodiak Deer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast