Thread: ....and another regulation question.

Default ....and another regulation question.

I was going through parts of the regs today trying to understand how the federal restrictions, as denoted by a star in the regs, apply. There were a couple of situations that I found confusing. The first being brown bear in Unit 26. In sub units 26A and 26C the hunt / permit # was left blank. I am assuming you don't need a HT as a result of not needing a locking tag in this area for a resident hunter? On top of that both sub units had a star denoting ferderal restrictions. When I went to the FWS subsistence regs I didn't see anything different as far as bag limits and season dates. If there isn't anything different what are the restrictions and why put a star by them in regs? Can I legally hunt for brown bear on federal lands in these units without a federal subsistence permit?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications. I have a feeling if I get these answered then everything will be crystal clear and I will be able to answer the other questions that I had.

no ? I always keep federal land alone, unless you have subsistence. just me though... predator control maybe?

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Yeah I have always hunted areas were I didn't have to worry about any federal restrictions. I was just doing some research and trying to find some new places to hunt and started looking into this. Another example is sheep in 25A. Sheep hunting in 25A has federal restrictions and when looking at the subsistence regulations it talks about the Arctic Village Sheep Management Area. I think it is safe to assume I can't hunt there without a subsistence permit. What about the rest of the unit? Can I hunt on federal lands outside of the AVSM area? In the subsistence regs it says "Federal public lands are closed to taking of sheep except by rural Alaska resisdents of ....." This is written in italics in the same section describing the AVSM area, not in its own section, so I am not sure if it applies to the AVSM area or the whole unit.

Just to be clear I am not a resisdent of any of these units and I am not looking into whether or not I can subsistence hunt in this these areas, which the answer is pretty clear. I am simply trying to figure out if I can leagally hunt in these areas with a harvest ticket under the state hunting regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
    Yeah I have always hunted areas were I didn't have to worry about any federal restrictions. I was just doing some research and trying to find some new places to hunt and started looking into this. Another example is sheep in 25A. Sheep hunting in 25A has federal restrictions and when looking at the subsistence regulations it talks about the Arctic Village Sheep Management Area. I think it is safe to assume I can't hunt there without a subsistence permit. What about the rest of the unit? Can I hunt on federal lands outside of the AVSM area? In the subsistence regs it says "Federal public lands are closed to taking of sheep except by rural Alaska resisdents of ....." This is written in italics in the same section describing the AVSM area, not in its own section, so I am not sure if it applies to the AVSM area or the whole unit.

Just to be clear I am not a resisdent of any of these units and I am not looking into whether or not I can subsistence hunt in this these areas, which the answer is pretty clear. I am simply trying to figure out if I can leagally hunt in these areas with a harvest ticket under the state hunting regulations.
    Yes you can hunt in federal areas but you have to pay attention to the specific regulations, like the AVSM area in 25B. If you could not hunt sheep in 25B there would be a lot of guides out of business! The only area in 25B that you can't hunt sheep is the AVSM and the feds put out a nice map clearly identifying it, make sure you pay attention to the changes in the north eastern boundary of it though!

As far as the bear hunt in 25A, B, and C go I believe that is just a catch all that ADF&G uses since the majority of the land in those units is owned by the Feds so ADF&G wants you to check with the Feds in case there are stipulations that way you can't come back after getting busted and say but it said such and such in the published regulations.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.