Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man guided by GPS drives off ferry into Whittier harbor

Default Man guided by GPS drives off ferry into Whittier harbor

Man guided by GPS drives off ferry into Whittier harbor

http://www.adn.com/2012/08/23/259792...off-ferry.html

Taking bad advice from the GPS unit in his car, a man drove into Whittier's small-boat harbor Thursday morning just after departing a ferry nearby.

The man, who was not named, was apparently relocating to Alaska from the Lower 48 and arrived on a ferry about 6:30 a.m., said Dave Schofield, director of the city's Department of Public Safety. The man drove off the ferry in his Subaru car loaded with belongings, two dogs and a cat, Schofield said.

He didn't make it far.

About 400 feet from the ferry dock, a GPS unit in the man's car told him to take a hard right turn, Schofield said.

"The GPS apparently misrouted him, and he drove down the ramp for launching boats into the water," Schofield said. "He was unfamiliar with the area is the only answer I have for you."

The car made it all the way down the launch, where boaters back their vessels down a ramp into the water.

A short distance from the boat launch, Lazy Otter cafe manager Elizabeth Dernbach was opening up shop, hoping for coffee-hunting customers getting off the ferry.

"Somebody came in and told me to call 911. I looked over and there was a car in the water, in the harbor, and it was sinking," Dernbach said.

The car was soon fully submerged, Dernbach said. Another man just off the ferry jumped in the water, smashed open a window with a hammer or some other tool and helped the driver out. Two dogs escaped as well, she said.

"I couldn't see the top of the car at all. It was under water a couple feet, at least, and as the tide went down, you still couldn't see the car," Dernbach said.

Schofield said a cat inside a pet carrier drowned. When Schofield arrived, the man and his dogs were out of the water.

"He was already extracted and in the ferry building, in the bathroom. Shaken up, which would be normal given the circumstances," Schofield said.

According to the National Weather Service, there was no fog at the time. There was light rain, a cloud ceiling of 1,800 feet and visibility of 7 miles.

With a diver's help, a local towing company pulled the car out of the water, Schofield said. No charges were filed.

"It's unusual," he said. "It was a first for us."

Dernbach said the early morning darkness and rain could have affected the driver's ability to see the roadway.

"I still don't really know how he drove in there," she said.

Picture of the car bring recovered here at www.ktuu.com. Looks like a Glacier Craft on the retrieving dock.

And you guy's thought the 17 year old was not ready for Alaska...........Side Note: As I keep saying, "people need to take their medications". Just because you feel OK, does not mean you are not NUTS.

What A Crazy story,....

I guess,...it was Raining,..Hard,...but ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Good for the guy who jumped in the water, broke out the glass, and saved the guy and two dogs.

A woman wouldn't have done this.....

We ASK for directions instead of relying on a machine.....

(yes, I'm joking)

Your right, a woman wouldnt have done this but she may well have caused it:

I heard it had nothing to do with the GPS, supposedly his wife was in the seat next to him telling him all about how worthless he was and he just decided to end it all...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

I heard it had nothing to do with the GPS, supposedly his wife was in the seat next to him telling him all about how worthless he was and he just decided to end it all...

Now That's funny!! I'll have to remember this action when the Hubby pisses me off again (after I increase his life insurance)....

Wow. I'm having a hard time believing this is true.

If anyone reads News of the Weird which runs in the Anchorage Press, this is just that kind of story. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

Yeah, that sounds possible,....and, "made sure he took the Cat with him,"....
    maybe the cat was the issue in the first place,....

So, take a little dip, change the oil in the crankcase,....put a towel on the seat for a while,...

Problem solved
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Awww, you know it can't be a woman. The commercials of Allstate's regarding the "Mayhem" dude recalculating the GPS is a MAN....

The KTUU site shows a picture of him being towed out. Hummmm? he backed in, not drove in!!! Whats wrong with story???
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

The guy was driving a subaru, there's no telling what he might have been smoking to cause him to do this
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    "I still don't really know how he drove in there," she said.
    That's easy: "My GPS made me do it"

If littering the launch with an underwater motor vehicle was a serious crime we'd see this guy on America's Dumbest Criminals.

As it was, an onlooker did manage to avert the issuance of another Darwin Award...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    That's easy: "My GPS made me do it"

His GPS took notes from this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivijpeZw6EQ

the jarhead is obviously lying

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

They say life is hard....and it's harder if you're stupid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    Picture of the car bring recovered here at www.ktuu.com. Looks like a Glacier Craft on the retrieving dock.
    Not a GC. It looks like Lazy Otter's boat. It is an Uscola boat works boat.

I wonder if the driver paid for a launch fee? I bet he was launching in the "retrieve only" lane as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That is one crazy story!

To me this appears that it could be a suicide attempt. The rescuer said that the car was already full of water when he busted the window. Why didn't the guy get out of the car by himself. There are allot of things that don't really ad up here. Why is the car in the water backwards as if he backed in?

Also, lets say he were driving 20 MPH. His car would have hit the water and almost come to a full stop. For the car to be fully submerged as it was he would have had to give it some more gas when any normal person would be hitting the breaks and trying to back up.

Like I said, I don't think things are adding up here. ~907~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast