Thread: You think this guy was targeting Kenai Kings?

Default You think this guy was targeting Kenai Kings?

I'm calling him out in this thread.

http://www.bbcboards.net/bbc-lounge/...ng-salmon.html

Default You think this guy was targeting Kenai Kings?

"15 or 17 Kwikfish with a sardine wrap and a single hook"

Is that typical for silvers on the Kenai?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Correct me if i'm wrong but I dont think they even make a K17, in any case, yes kwikfish are commonly used to catch silvers, so are eggs and spin-n-glo or even just spin-n-glo. Some of my best days catching pinks have been with spin-n-glos with and without eggs.

I've also caught kings while flipping for reds, doesn't make me a poacher, it means a king decided to swim close to the shore.

Kings/Silvers/Pinks can commonly be found in the same "resting" water, if ADFG is concerned about people catching kings during silver season they need to close the river, end of story.

K15 is kinda big for silvers. Saw something similar happening on the Kasilof with a guide. There's definitely some gray area there. Not fishing right down the gut and really fishing tight to the banks is crucial. But an unintentional hook up will happen. Now seeing a guide boat with 2 Kings hooked up at one time fighting them on the run is different and seems intentional(saw it happen). I know some folks were probably itching for some action, but any sportsman would have some restraint. I know plug guys that just stopped fishing all together for a couple months. Showing some restraint is important right now.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

it's hard to say if it was on purpose or not, you use pretty much the same gear on the kenai for both, I run k-15's for silvers, so there is really no way to be sure unless he said he was.

I see that there was talk about whether to cut the line or not on that king. I wonder about this myself. What's better? Keep it in the water and have it exert itself prior to the release, or potentially have a long strand of line impeding it's trip upstream. Would you choose differently if fishing from a boat or shore?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightSunRebel View Post
    I see that there was talk about whether to cut the line or not on that king. I wonder about this myself. What's better? Keep it in the water and have it exert itself prior to the release, or potentially have a long strand of line impeding it's trip upstream. Would you choose differently if fishing from a boat or shore?
    True, I'm thinking cutting the line, which could be very long, would be detrimental to the fish as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    True, I'm thinking cutting the line, which could be very long, would be detrimental to the fish as well.

How about just playing the fish in close to the boat pretty quick ("Don't horse it!") and cutting the line with a 4-6' tail? That doesnt seem long enough to really tangle up before the fish spits the hook out on its own.

K15 is the most versatile plug in the KwikFish line-up. It catches all sizes and all species of salmon. Definitely one of my go-to plugs when targeting silvers and pinks.

It's all about where they are deployed. Kings are generally in the power water 6-8 ft or deeper. Smaller salmon are generally in slower water tighter to shore in 4-5 ft or less. Yes there is some overlap on the fringes of the bell-shaped curve. And undisturbed kings in glacial water will swim awfully shallow when there aren't 400-500 boats running over the top of them.

The proof is in the creel.

If the gear is fishing in less than 4-5 ft of water near the bank and encountering several hundred pinks, a handful of coho, the rare sockeye, and a king or two each day with a single baitless barbless hook, no one can be reasonably accused of targeting kings.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD