Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salmon meeting in Willow on Aug. 29th 3PM

Default Salmon meeting in Willow on Aug. 29th 3PM

Here's the details, passed on from Deshka Landing mngt.
    [ATTACH]62745
    Attached Files Attached Files

See location of "meeting" on the flyer.

Sounds like a golden opportunity for the Farley Deans of the world to sob poetic about how the state needs to let guides fish the streams dry in times of low productivity. I listened to him snivel on the radio earlier this summer about how the State was 'killing his business" ...whaaaaa

If this is a meeting about how to manage the resource responsibly, I apologize for the previous paragraph. But I dont think I'm off track here...

What the hell, This picture on the flyer was taken from my web site without permission or credit given. This is my second cousin, he fished with me my first year guiding, I took the picture and have the original.
    Here is the link
    http://www.alaskasusitnacharters.com/silvers.html

Lets keep our eye on the ball, the meeting to voice your opinion is the reason for the post.
    (akgaiuque- I simply reposted an e-mail sent to me from Deshka Landing, had nothing to do with the creation of the brochure.....maybe go to the meeting and voice your opinion?!)
    BK

BK, Don't let the internet police change the subject, this meeting is to show an interest in keeping our runs alive. I have just about gave up sportsfishing here in the valley. It's a lose/lose proposition in my eyes
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I hope you are right whop. If there needs to be some serious sacrificing on the users part to conserve the resource, it ought to fall mostly on the backs of commercial users, IMO. Yes, I consider guides to be commercial users.

I hope to be there to say as much in person. I will say that having a public meeting at 3 PM is probably not too convenient for the average joe, unless fishing is your financial income.

The use of the picture is a small price to pay if anything good comes out of the meeting.

Again, it's a chance to voice your opinion....if you have something to say, GO TO THE MEETING.
    Unfortunately I will be at work or I would be there. Hopefully some of the other forum members who are passionate about the fish and the future will attend and participate.
    I hear WHOP, wish I was there. I have a place on the Deshka and the runs this year were absolutely horrible as we all know. I worry about what we are leaving for our kids and wish I could be in town for this one.
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    The use of the picture is a small price to pay if anything good comes out of the meeting.
    ...and if something not so good comes out of the meeting, then akgiaugue gets associated without consent, and that's just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I hope to be there to say as much in person. I will say that having a public meeting at 3 PM is probably not too convenient for the average joe, unless fishing is your financial income.
    Exactly! Mid-week, mid-day and at a guides place of business. Accident?

I would love to voice my opinion but unfortunately I work in Anchorage until 4pm. There is no way I could make it to Willow until 5:30-6pm. Any chance of moving the meeting to 6 or 7pm so those of us who work in Anchorage could make the meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Well lets hope something good comes out out of it, but when you start out by stealing it brings credibility into question.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Salmon meeting in Willow on Aug. 29th 3PM

I agree with dkwarthog in the aspect that the guides are commercially fishing our rivers, after all they are making money off the fish just like the commercial fisherman on the ocean. And are probably over fishing it compared to the average joe who isn't on the river everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Lets keep our eye on the ball, the meeting to voice your opinion is the reason for the post.
    (akgaiuque- I simply reposted an e-mail sent to me from Deshka Landing, had nothing to do with the creation of the brochure.....maybe go to the meeting and voice your opinion?!)
    BK
    I do not care what your intent was, my intent was to point out the fact that our legislative team created a document using someones property without giving credit or asking. A phone call or email and I would have said hell yes, but I did not get that courtesy and still have not.

As for going to the meeting like the rest of you I will be at work. I did however have a hour long conversation with Mark after leaving him a message regarding the over use of the resources and mismanagement of them. We discussed guides, limits, escapement, by-catch, set netters, other commercial use and the use of my photo on the flyer.

As for the guide bashing that is your choice and right but that is not keeping on topic either, I assume it a dig at me because well who knows maybe you are tired of not catching your limit while the guides do. I find the reason irrelevant but you should know that most of us do not guide full time and are the first to tell ADF&G to shut her down because we see what is happening. Many of us do it because we love fishing and the money is good, but we have "real jobs" and could walk away in a minute. You assume there are tons of guides but most are part time at best with 3-4 outfits per river fishing hard. how many guys are on the Deshka on a weekend? Run the guides off and the fisherman will fish the Kenai, I do not care more for me I am a good fisherman and will still catch them, and I will have time to take all of my friends and family which is both a larger number and much better at fishing than my client list. The real issue is economics, Fisherman including guided clients bring money to the valley and state. If you start limiting one sector, the one that takes tourists fishing you and your neighbors will loose business. I will not buy ice cream at little millers, send my clients to the trout house or the many bed and breakfasts that we have. If you do not believe me ask the folks at the Pt. Mackenzie Store, One of the owners had to go back to work to make it, That is the reality of closures and poor fishing.

Akgiauque,
    PM sent about your statements above.
    BK

I find some of this funny. In times of few fish everyone points up hill rather than look in the mirror. Drifters and set netters point at the trawlers. All in river fishermen point at set netters and drifters. The privat boat guys point at guides. Raft owners point at power boaters. Bank anglers point at anyone fishing from something that floats. Dont even get me stared on the catch and keep guy vs catch and release guy. The one looking in the mirror is never the problem. Of course I include myself.

Bill Booth

. If you do not believe me ask the folks at the Pt. Mackenzie Store, One of the owners had to go back to work to make it, That is the reality of closures and poor fishing.[/QUOTE]

The owner of the store isnt working an extra job because of poor fishing, he is working an Extra job because of poor managing. He lost all of his customers from Alexander Creek and other off road places because all of our stuff that was stolen from their so called secured lot including gas and three snowmachines were stolen. Karma is at work here! The owners totaly screwed over the former owner and we in the Susitna basin have no use for the way they treated people. I know the moderator will probaly delete this but the truth is the truth!

I owe bkmail an apology for lumping him in my response. His intent was to notify every user of an important meeting regarding salmon issues in the valley. I zinged him when I was pissed and it was not his fault he was the messenger.
    These issues are important to several groups of users and his thread has been derailed a bit here.
    If you feel that this issue is important go to the meeting or call your legislator at the (matsu LIO (907) 376-3704)

G

All I know is the runs in the Mat-Su have sucked the past three years, if not more. I don't even sports fish anymore cause they don't need me adding to the zero balance. Hope my grandkids can catch one thoughj
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Bump to top.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast