Thread: abandon gold mine

Default abandon gold mine

where can i find some abandon gold mines to ride my ATV out to and explore. im not interested in looking for gold, just wanting to explore some of them with my wife. i live on ft. richardson so if you can think of any within an hour or 2 id appreciate it. if there is one that is worth seeing farther away then ill also go to those. thanks for your help

DNR has an abandoned mine database. You should be able to locate some on their maps.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Be sure to check to confirm that they are abandoned and not claimed by anyone Federal or State. You can have Federal claims in a state area if they were originally staked before the state was a state(Federal Territory) Check with DNR and cross reference with BLM is all I am saying.

check out Independence mine in Hatchers Pass, you can drive your car or truck to it but it is a nice mine to see. Plenty of mines down on the Kenai peninsula to take a look at but you have to walk or ride mt bikes into most of those. Follow Tustumena Lakes post in the photography forum, he is always checking them out and posting great pics.

The hatchers pass area is full of mines that are abandoned but most are on the side that you can't ride motorized equipment, so you'll have to hike to them. I've found several in there that you can go inside the shafts and explore.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    The hatchers pass area is full of mines that are abandoned but most are on the side that you can't ride motorized equipment, so you'll have to hike to them. I've found several in there that you can go inside the shafts and explore.
    that is what im looking to do. i am willing to hike in there thats no problem at all. where are these places at?

Go to Girdwood and hike up the Crow Pass trail(end of Crow Creek Road) a bit and there's some pretty neat old mine relics up there...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Unless you have experience in underground mines they are not something to play around in. There are a number of hazards, including rock falls, bad air or lack thereof, sharp metal, flooded shafts, and old dynamite. Having been in a lot of abandoned mines in Alaska over the years I can tell you the dangers are real.
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    Unless you have experience in underground mines they are not something to play around in. There are a number of hazards, including rock falls, bad air or lack thereof, sharp metal, flooded shafts, and old dynamite. Having been in a lot of abandoned mines in Alaska over the years I can tell you the dangers are real.
    Well said!! ++++