Thread: question about backup pistol

Default question about backup pistol

Just had a question about carrying a back up pistol on a bear hunt. My wife and I will be going on our first bear hunt on Kodiak Island. I am planning on carrying a .44 Mag along with my rifle but have heard some negative things about doing so. For example, filing down the front site. Does anyone have an opinion about this? Thanks

As long as you shoot the 300 grain castcor bullets, it will be good enough. Just don't be carring it with hollow points or soft tips. It will be better than nothing and not as heavy as the alternative.

Backup to your rifle? Be honest, do you really think you would draw your pistol if you have a rifle in your hands?
    Its just extra weight if you ask me.
    Tennessee

If you and wife are carrying reliable rifles, why bother with a hand gun...?

Thumbs up

Can you carry the extra weight? I've seen hunters get split up and excellent rifles jam.

The only time you need a pistol as backup is when you REALLY need it. It may give you more peace of mind than it is affective, but peace of mind can be a lot. My dad is going to be carrying a 10mm all year, and I'll have a .44 strapped to me 80% of the time.

At least it's easier to shoot yourself with a pistol than a rifle.

-Eric

If carrying a pistol as a backup makes you feel more comfortable then by all means carry one. I've only lived and hunted up here for 13 years so to many on this board I'm a Cheechako. In that time, I've never carried a pistol anywhere hunting or fishing but I decided to start carrying one this year. I bought a Super Redhawk in 44 magnum and am shooting 300 grain Federal CastCores. Some will tell you the 44 magnum is too small for adequate bear protection but I'm convinced with a well placed shot it will do what you need it to. I've already started shooting mine a lot before this hunting season to get familiar with it. Stick with hard cast bullets for deep penetration and get familiar (if you aren't already) with your pistol and you'll be fine.

It would be helpful if your wife could shoot it...assuming she's hunting too. In my view, it doesn't make much sense to carry a tool your hunting partner doesn't know how to operate in case of an emergency.

You'll get a variety of opinions about whether you should carry one or not but from my seat on the bus, I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. I don't harbor any illusions that it is the ultimate bear protection device. Sound judgement in bear country is a far better defensive mechanism than any handgun and I see the pistol as a weapon of absolute last resort. Last year, two moose hunters used one to defend themselves and lived to tell the story. The photos circulated throughout internet hunting forums. Good hunting!

I've said this before, how many people have read Alaska Bear Tales? A lot of stories consist of people who carried a large caliber rifle but it was swatted out of their hands by this big toothy critter you speak of. In some stories their rifle wasn't as easily accesable as their side arm and a handgun saved their bacon.

Yes, these situations are rare and unexpected but that is what we prepare for, right? The unexpectable.

I'd say, practice with it and definately carry it. Take, "the longest minute" as a prime example.

Thanks for your responses. I like the sound of the CastCores and will look more into those. The way I see it is my rifle will obviously be my first line of defense/offense but if the situation should become out of control, I like knowing that I have a little extra fire power. My wife actually drew the permit and I will be backing her all the way. Having my .44 is just one more way for me to back her and ensure our safety.

Default back up handgun

Any handgun with good deep penetrating ammo will do.

If you need a handgun then you are in deep doo doo anyway.

The benefit of a handgun is the fact that it is more likely to be on you when needed and not leaning on a tree or sitting on a river bank.

Also, it is less likely to drown you if you fall in the drink.

Its only mission will be interupting the CNS (central nervous system) (Deadly wounds that kill the bear AFTER you die really dont mean squat)in a fast paced series of wild uncontrollable circumstances.

So take a semi auto in 10mm or whatever you want.. a revolver is good too... remember, raw power in handguns will only help in hunting situations.

You will need fast hits and deep penetration in a reliable one handed weapon.

jedi

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BILLSTER View Post
    Thanks for your responses. I like the sound of the CastCores and will look more into those. The way I see it is my rifle will obviously be my first line of defense/offense but if the situation should become out of control, I like knowing that I have a little extra fire power. My wife actually drew the permit and I will be backing her all the way. Having my .44 is just one more way for me to back her and ensure our safety.
    Blister

Got some good information here . Just weed through it and use information that will benifit you and your Bride .
    If taking a revolver along puts you at ease by all means take one along .
    Use hardcast bullets in the 300 grain area and a wide nose (meplat) .

I have carried a side cannon on all my hunts even my bow hunts .
    Your choice .

Have a great time , Take a mega load of pictures for us to see and be carefull.
    These memories last a life time .
    Remember to file off your front sight !!!!!!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

You know,
    He might actually not know that filing off the front sight is a joke relating to making it easier to pull out of his rear-end after the bear makes him into a human popcicle.

Some of our twisted Alaskan humor does tend to confuse some folks.

Always remember to smear bacon grease on your hunting buddy's pants.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    You know,
    He might actually not know that filing off the front sight is a joke relating to making it easier to pull out of his rear-end after the bear makes him into a human popcicle.

Some of our twisted Alaskan humor does tend to confuse some folks.

Always remember to smear bacon grease on your hunting buddy's pants.
    You might be right about that Float Pilot !!!

My brother-n-law that is going over to Kodiak with me this coming week asked what type of hunting boots he should bring .
    I told him a big pair of Military bunny boots !!!
    He asked what I was wearing .
    I told him sneakers !!!!!!!

He got it !!!!!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default Handgun for backup

Last summer I was up on the Tanana River and my wife surprised a cow moose with twin calves. The moose started after her. One shot scared her off. I carried a handgun for bear protection on my travels throughout Alaska, I didn't expect to need it for a moose but was sure glad I had it. If I hadn't scared that moose, who knows what could of happened to my wife. I"ll tell you, she was sure glad I had it with.

Rifles are kind of awkward in a tent or sleeping bag.

You can never have enough guns with you. I like to carry my primary hunting tool (rifle or shotty depending), .44 on a chest holster, and P22 for the small stuff. To each his own, but be mindful of telling a hunter and his wife to go to Kodiak with only two similar weapons and a handful of shells. That seems silly to me.