Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY?

Default WHY?

Okay, I've waited long enough to ask this question. Why are some people on here "experts" at all things? I specifically pay attention to guys talking sheep. There are guys on here that "spew" sheep info, etc. that haven't harvested a sheep or have one or two in their arsenals and they write a story and people think they are hero's and sheep experts.

Then they talk about "new" gear that they have minimally tested. I for one am no expert at anything. I feel I have a good understanding of what needs to be done and I get it done no matter what the cost, monetarily, mentally, or physically.

Been burned many times on sharing hunting info, so do my best not to share a whole lot except with friends and people that I feel are truly honest and up front.

I started out in my quest for sheep by going out with some of the worst gear known to man and had one of the most enduring trips a person can ask for, and out of that, I progressed into the correct gear and knowledge to get things done.

The best advice I can give is to figure things out for yourself and if someone does happen to help you with info, don't screw them over.

Im not sure what specific instances your referring to, so I cant talk about that, but I have read all the latest sheep posts, I really dont see where the people writing the threads would consider themselves experts. They merely do a write up on what happened during their hunt and what worked for them, tactics, gear, etc.

I have not seen anything but congratulations from other members on their write ups, I have never seen anyone referring to them as experts, or acting like theyre hero's.

Some people write about a new piece of gear they used on their hunt but so what, I see that all the time in various hunting magazines. I also see it all the time in reviews of products when Im researching gear for hunting.

Im guessing what your getting at is to take all the hunting info gleaned from here with a grain of salt, but if not, perhaps you need to elaborate a little more.

I'm no expert but will chime in on subjects I am familiar with. I thought that was the point of the forum.
    BK

Default WHY?

I figure I poke more fun at my lack of success in harvesting a ram than anyone else here. I do have gear that works for me and I feel is adequately tested to give a reason I like it. My first mountain trips were with blue jeans, eureka frame pack, coleman bag and tent plus MRE's and ramen. I had never heard of anyone actually taking a sleeping pad camping back then. I certainly have some gear that cost auite a lot and that didn't work for me and will share that freely. I figure it takes a long time to decide a piece of gear is truly good but a bad item can frequently be identified very quickly. I like to see post trip reports regarding what worked and what didn't from rookies as well as experts.

FYI, The best new piece if gear I have is this Kimber 84L... I haven't shot a thing with it but it is a whole lot lighter than the last rifle I carried up and down mountains and never used

On another side I don't offer much info on how to stalk sheep because I have only done it a couple times. I have more than a few mountain camping expeditions though and have spotted over a thousand ewes, lambs and sublegal rams! I am personally caught between the Joe Want method and the Tony Russ system. Tony likes mountaineering boots and hunting from the top down and joe likes hip boots and hunting bottom up... I would consider the northway method but Air Jordan's don't fit my feet that well.

If things come together I will be rolling back into the sheep hills for a few days next week. Perhaps this time I will lighten the rifle and weigh down the pack for a change!
    Last edited by LuJon; 08-23-2012 at 12:07.

That is why we have internet forums, so folks can share their opinion. I just sort through the info, soak in what I consider the best and leave the rest. Just a suggestion.

Well, Northway I think you are right that some people have opinions on everything and consider themselves knowitalls but actually arent that reliable or experienced as others. But I can tell you its a **** good thing someone with your experience and success hunting doesnt share specific locations and methods too frequently cause otherwise there would be no sheep left in the state! I agree with Matt though take some posts with a grain of salt....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

It's because we all have a bit of experience in one area or another and fellow hunter/gathers look/research our opinions to make their final decisions.
    As others said this forum is one of the best sources of info for just about anything in this state. We share and others agree or don't. But the sharing is why we're on here

VERY few hunters on this forum hold themselves out as expert hunters, save a few guides that frequent the boards. Most simply are shareing their expierences with others so they don't make the same mistakes, and learn from their accomplishments : An amateur makes mistakes a fool repeats them. I agreed experience is the best teacher but it also comes at a price that could ultimately be beyond a hunters skillset or wallet and turn deadly, if learning something on this forum prevents such a tragedy this forum is truly a success !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Northway- I enjoy your posts, but don't understand this one.

Don't really think many folks on here consider themselves "expert" hunters, I do believe we have some very experienced outdoorsmen here and I'm quite glad they're willing to share information and their experiences because, like it or no, there is simply too much information out there for any one person to process it all. The one guy I personally know that I'd really lump into the "expert" category wouldn't be caught dead on here- heck, he'd cut the label off his boots just so you couldn't figure out what brand they were.

If a guy buys some piece of equipment and writes about it, I take that into account if I need one. I pay particular attention if it's a guy that spends a lot of time in the field. For instance, a Steve or a Luke- those guys spend way more time out there than me and if they have a good experience with a tent or a bag or a pack- I probably will too. If I want to know about loading a new round- Murphy's input is something I'll look for. That's just a couple of folks by name- there are a bunch more and I thank them all for their input here

But by and large- I just think it's a bunch of folks who like the outdoors as much as I do and enjoy windbagging about it ( as much as I do). I take what I believe to be helpful and leave the rest behind- some of it's potential life saving information, some of it's just entertainment. I know I'm appreciative for what I've been able to learn over the last few years. I also certainly appreciate learning from other's mistakes- cause it hurts a lot less.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Why?
    Because it makes some people feel good about themselves.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

WHY NOT?
    I for one was 'not' saying the sheep spewers were some kind of hero or hunting god either...just like to give a good ole' congrats and pat on the back for a hunt well done. I'll admit I do like reading the stories and checking out the pics, thanks to all who share your adventures with us...keep em' coming!

Most of the gripe here is what occurs in the off-season. When it's hot and heavy during the season most of the stories and banter is all good. I'll agree that either less armchair quarterbacking is happening these days or they are heavily moderated to keep things civil. Either way it is a nice change over a year or so ago. I know I've started posting a bit more nowadays.

Some people like to talk, some don't. Some people are experts, some aren't. Some people think they are experts, some think they are not. We are all a little different, how boring would it be on here if everyone shared the same opinions, had the same personality and were on the same "expert" level?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default WHY?

I actually think more of the core sheep hunters on here now know each other beyond a screen name. I have met Mod Elan 2x now, hunted with Alaska_Lanche several times, been to Hunt_AK's place, met Kaha a couple times and hang out with Kotton any time we both have a spare minute and something is in season. 90% of the remaining contributors are friends of one of the people I mentioned. Even for a new arrival on here when everyone in the group seems to know each other most don't come in guns blazing.

Heck off the top of my head I bet I could list a dozen or more screen names of people we have been following along on hunts here, some for years...

Kahahawai
    Big horse
    Ctp
    Snyd
    Stid
    Alaska_lanche
    Becca
    Earnie scar
    Northway
    Bronco (the bear hunting sheep packer)
    Mod elan
    Youngtrout
    BRWNBR
    Ninefoot
    Alaska true adventure
    COtoAK (I recall she was headed back out this season but haven't seen a post)
    Big27
    C04hoosier
    Shphntr

Default WHY?

I don't think anyone here has displayed their experience in any sort of cocky manner. There's definitely groups of people with core experiences that I would certainly key into to benefit my own likes in life.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default WHY?

Do some consider themselves "experts", when others have a (somewhat) lesser opinion of them? I'd guess its probably its in the genes for them.
    Why even ask? Surely sheep hunters aren't the only people that you know that are "experts" in their chosen endeavor? I can think of a couple of moose or bear hunters that would easily fit the catagory. Check the fishing, boat, wheeler & snow machine forums - no shortage of "experts" (your definition) there either. When I was still in the work force, I found "experts" galore - on a daily basis. Stop in Sportsman's Whse - a couple of "experts" in every department. Granted that some "experts" are easier to deal with (or not) than others, but I'm still unsure what exactly is your complaint is.
    As noted earlier, some posters here have well deserved reputations and their posts are read differently than others. Other posters sometimes have nice pics to look at - I don't read much beyond their captions. I don't read the forums with the thought that I'm going to find a piece of gear or tactic that's going to turn me into a meat (or trophy) killing wonder. I read the forums for entertainment - probably the real reason that most of us are here.

For someone as healthy, strong, educated, intelligent, experienced, and successful as you have been in your life, Mike.................you sure have a thin skin.
    Post your stories, wade in to the fray. Learn from the experiences. Does it really matter if people you don't know don't completely approve sometimes?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I for one was hoping the "sheep hunting show off your cool guy gear event" was going to happen this summer but unfortunately it didn't sigh maybe next year...

Now onto the subject at hand.... there are some folks on here that have shot a couple sheep and they are elevated to an almost cult status. Like every word they say is gospel. "yep so and so said it, so it's true" "yeah they said said buy these".

Lujon dissapointed about your list of names one day I hope to meet this creature known as northway...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I for one was hoping the "sheep hunting show off your cool guy gear event" was going to happen this summer but unfortunately it didn't sigh maybe next year...
    I liked the picture of the guy next to a sheep wearing shorts and what looks to be a cotton tshirt. I guess he must have missed the event last summer.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast