Thread: SkimWords shopping links embedded in posts?

Default SkimWords shopping links embedded in posts?

So this morning I check a couple threads and notice there is a link in my post from a couple days ago. I figure a Moderator has added something relevant and check the link. And I find a nice fat SkimWords shopping link.

I readily admit that I have paid absolutely nothing for membership here, received valuable information, and I'm all for people making money off of 'free' things. But......, I really don't want to have to check each and every link before I click on it to see if it is a legit link posted by a member or a rabbit hole to computer hell.

Maybe I should step away from the keyboard and have a cup of coffee...

In the end it is just a necessary evil. Sites like this die when they become pay to play and someone has to pony up to keep the lights on around here. It's an all volunteer mod staff but the server admin and host aren't doing it for free. There is also a ton of work involved in adding and organizing content beyond just the forum and that is a job in itself. Mike S does a great job at all of the above and if skim links and skim words helps pay his bills so he can devote more time to the site then I am more than ok about dealing with some minor inconvenience. As it is I am not aware of any full time AOD employees, even the owner has a "real job".

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    So this morning I check a couple threads and notice there is a link in my post from a couple days ago. I figure a Moderator has added something relevant and check the link. And I find a nice fat SkimWords shopping link.

I readily admit that I have paid absolutely nothing for membership here, received valuable information, and I'm all for people making money off of 'free' things. But......, I really don't want to have to check each and every link before I click on it to see if it is a legit link posted by a member or a rabbit hole to computer hell.

Maybe I should step away from the keyboard and have a cup of coffee...

If the link is something that you feel you'd be interested in, you could always ask the person who posted it if it is a legit link or a skim word link. I see them show up quite a bit, and 9 times out of 10 I'm not interested in what the link may lead to. Just a thought, but it may keep you from looking at all of those links with growing frustration!

One note based on ski words I rarely put a link embedded in text. I may embed a link but I will isolate it in some manner or clearly say check it out "here" and here will be the link. If I say in a post that Air Jordan's don't fit me and Air Jordan is a link it wasn't me!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    One note based on ski words I rarely put a link embedded in text. I may embed a link but I will isolate it in some manner or clearly say check it out "here" and here will be the link. If I say in a post that Air Jordan's don't fit me and Air Jordan is a link it wasn't me!

And I think most people are like that, Lujon. Rarely do I see a link in someone's post without specifically mentioning that they're posting the link. They tend to be fairly obvious, as well. Of course, you never know when someone is going to be talking about adult underwear or cheddar cheese with such excitement they feel it necessary to share with the world!

In Firefox, if you put your cursor over the link a text box will pop up saying "shopping link added by SkimWords", or something to that effect. I don't get that note in Safari and I've just now started using Chrome again, but it sure is a helpful note.