Thread: Spearfishing Chatanika

Default Spearfishing Chatanika

We got our first spear fishing permit this year and are planning on taking the kids out; however, we've never been. When's a good time to go? Is there a run count I can watch? Any tips or tricks anyone has would be helpful.

Thanks!

There's no run count to look for, but if you look around online there are some fish and game reports that talk about the river. I have gone during the entire time of the season (including the last day) and done ok. I'd suggest going on the earlier side only because of the ice and cold, though a lower water level helps out later. A couple of tips: Go at night, and back your lantern with tin foil to shield your eyes. Don't trust the barbs on your spear a lot.

Thanks Segi that lantern tip sounds like something I would've had to learn the hard way.

Is the river so high that we're talking chest waders or is hip waders sufficient?

Default Spearfishing Chatanika

What time of night? Are we talking once it's dark or middle of the night?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Fzzlove View Post
    What time of night? Are we talking once it's dark or middle of the night?
    I always went just as it got dark

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I always went just as it got dark
    Thanks, we're going out Saturday and hope to snag a few.

What is it you spearfish on the Chatanika?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    What is it you spearfish on the Chatanika?
    whitefish/ciscoes

Quote Originally Posted by Fzzlove View Post
    Thanks Segi that lantern tip sounds like something I would've had to learn the hard way.

Is the river so high that we're talking chest waders or is hip waders sufficient?
    I would highly suggest chest waders. You can do it in hips but you can get around alot better and into many better spots with chests.

Back in the day when we did the spearfishing thing every year I rigged up a Coleman lantern especially for this purpose. I used a 1x8 pine board which I screwed together making a top a bottom and a back. I lined the back with aluminum flashing. I fastened the lantern to the wood like it is sitting on a shelf. The back of the shelf faces you. I put back pack straps on the apparatus and had it on my chest. The shelf supported the lantern and the back and top reflected the light away from me so that I could see without being blinded by my own light. Having this setup allows both hands to be free to handle the spear and the light is always shining where you want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Back in the day when we did the spearfishing thing every year I rigged up a Coleman lantern especially for this purpose. I used a 1x8 pine board which I screwed together making a top a bottom and a back. I lined the back with aluminum flashing. I fastened the lantern to the wood like it is sitting on a shelf. The back of the shelf faces you. I put back pack straps on the apparatus and had it on my chest. The shelf supported the lantern and the back and top reflected the light away from me so that I could see without being blinded by my own light. Having this setup allows both hands to be free to handle the spear and the light is always shining where you want to see.
    That's pretty ingenious!!!