Thread: Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke ?'s

Default Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke ?'s

I've been looking into getting a jet. I have been trying to locate a 50 or 60 hp 2 stroke to save on the weight. I have found a new 2008 or 2009 Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke at a good price. Motor weighs 189lbs. Is this a good motor? Will it be much louder than a 4 stroke? Would it push a good load with a jet unit installed? Approx. how many people? It is setup for remote currently, but would have them install a tiller. Looking to put in on a 1648 or 52 Alweld, not sure if I'm going to get it in .100" or .080". You can get them in 080" now. What do you guys think?

Two strokes are good motors to install jet units on. They generally have more hole shot power and are more snappy than four strokes. They are definitely a little noisier, especially when you're back there next to it operating the tiller. You have to remember that unless you get a factory jet, you will lose about 1/3 of the rated power (60 hp prop converted to a jet would be about a 40 hp jet motor). I think the size of the boat is your limiting factor on what load you can carry... The more surface area you are planing with, the better. The 1652 would haul a bigger load than the 1648, but a 1860 or something larger would haul a bigger load yet, even with the same motor. The ammount of people is limited to the boat, but i dont see hauling more than 4 people on a 1652 or 48. And as far as hull thickness, the thicker the better. There are many obstacles in rivers and you can't have a boat that is "too strong". There is also a lot of other info on the forum of prospective buyers asking about which boat is better/worse for what its intended purpose will be..

Yamaha 50 2-strokes were great motors in their day. Lots are still running around. The problem with them these days is that Yamaha USA doesn't support 2-strokes very well. I had a 50 2-stroke. Loved it until it broke. Bought an F40 jet (60hpo powerhead) to replace it. I'll never go back to 2-strokes. The 4-stroke is heavier. That's the only down side. Everything else favors the 4-stroke without question. Power, acceleration, fuel consumption, noise, etc.

Buy a longer boat. There's nothing a 16 will do that an 18 won't do better.

My dad put a Yamaha 50 2-stroke on his set net skiff about 5 years ago and it is still running strong with no major repairs needed and it gets worked REALLY hard. It has enough power to plane his 22' set net skiff with a decent size load. The only repair that I know of that he had to make was a bad tilt cylinder, I think it was damaged when we hit bottom up on the yukon because right after that it wasn't working right, I don't think it was a part defect. I don't think Yamaha makes a 50hp 2 stroke anymore
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

[QUOTE=Mr. Pid;1164507] The 4-stroke is heavier. That's the only down side. Everything else favors the 4-stroke without question. Power, acceleration, fuel consumption, noise, etc.

You're saying the 4-stroke is more powerful and better acceleration? I thought the 2-strokes had the 4's beat in that area? I've heard about the fuel consumption and noise. The Merc 60/40 I've been looking at is 267lbs and the Yamaha 50 hp is 189lbs, now the Yamaha has a prop lower unit on currently, but that would be changed to a jet.

They priced the new Yamaha 50 hp 2-stroke for $4850. I'm going to try and see if I can get for less. Does anybody think this would be a good choice, when the Merc 60/40 4-stroke is $6500. Like I said it going to be on a 1648 or 52. Boat should weight in around 325lbs. bare bones, rear bench seat, center bench seat and front seat. Going to be using a tiller steer, so trying to keep the weight down in the rear. Anybody else? Please.

I think for your set up I would go with the yamaha over the merc

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I think for your set up I would go with the yamaha over the merc
    Do you care to please explain why? I mean is it the weight of the Merc? Or do you think it would be a better performer? I really need to know, because the Yamaha doesn't come with a jet pump on it, I'll have to buy it separate. I've been told they're about $1700.

I still have a jet unit for a Yami 50 2-stroke from the one that broke a rod. The jet's in great shape. Used, but not used up by any stretch. If you go with the 50 I'll make you a deal!

Bradley,
    Mr. Pid could make that Yami idea work out okay. Another 2-stroke option would be the 50hp Tohatsu that will give you the 2-stroke holeshot with only 205lbs of weight and 4.4gph at WOT--and it keeps you Kenai-legal if that requirement ever comes to another drainage. With that said the 4-stroke Honda is only 214lbs and same burn rate at WOT. I have to say that the ONLY part of a 2-stroke that I do not enjoy is the smell...though the Tohatsu is vastly improved.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by Tbradley View Post
    Do you care to please explain why? I mean is it the weight of the Merc? Or do you think it would be a better performer? I really need to know, because the Yamaha doesn't come with a jet pump on it, I'll have to buy it separate. I've been told they're about $1700.
    It is only my opinion, but I think the Yami is the better motor over the merc. You will have slightly less hp, but I think you will make up for it in weight and holeshot/acceleration. Again, it is only my opinion, go with your gut instinct