Thread: Gaiters?

Default Gaiters?

Just wondering who uses them for alaska hunting and what situations or area. I've never used them but thought about it. What are some of the pro and cons? Do you have a favorite brand?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I have been giving them a lot of thought and the only place I can see myself using them is walking up and down creek bottoms were I am having to cross creeks multiple times that are close to the tops of my boots. I tend to always go over the top or splash water over the top and the gaiters would stop that from happening which would be nice. Other than that I don't have a use for them.

OR is one of the names that has come up over and over as I have researched them, seems that hunters, trekkers, mountaineers, etc all say they are the best out there. KUIU has a set out now but they are just getting field tested so we will have to wait and hear what the results are in a few weeks.

Standard equipment. Wet brush and wet grass, mud, rocks, etc. Gaiters control the cuffs of my pants as well as keep the lower cuffs dry. No more snagging the cuffs along the trail. No more stuff finding it's way into my boots. And I can wear my favorite pants like Champs or Sporthills in more conditions since the cuffs are usually where I'll get wet.

I would not leave home without them They work great to shed water from the top of your boot, but are even better keeping dirt/sand/weeds etc. out of your shoes. I personally prefer the fleece ones as they are quiet. The newer designs where you zip from the top (down the back) are SOOOOO much easier to put on. I see no down side wearing them and use them year round. I especially love them in the winter as they keep snow out of your boots too.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Gaiters?

I want to try the Kuiu stretchy gaitors but right now I have some from Kennetrek. I have not found any benefit with my leather boots and if anything found that they increased the odds of me neglecting to retighten my boots when I should. I also don't care for having a strap cinched to my calves. I am trying out some shorter plastics this year and can see the gaitors Likely being handy in shale slides so I may dig them back out this week.

I don't have any but I will not be going on any more hunts in my mountain boots without them. My boots got wet inside due to wet pants, gaiters would have prevented this.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Got a set in the mail right now. Spent a lot of time with a guy from New Zealand discussing them and what I want out of them. Bronco may have set me on the right path. I know what they need to do, but not sure anyone makes what I want, so may be spending some time designing something that works for what I want. The kiwi's have some good stuff over there.

I wear OR in the winter never wear them in the Fall.
    Tim

Outdoor Research Crocodiles. I find I wear them on the hump going in in lower country. I seem to not wear them in the high country in rocks, shale, etc. Great in wet brush, stream hopping, etc. I wear OR Cirque pants that have a kevlar patch on the inside by the ankles and a bootlace clip to hold them down. I've had em a couple years and really like em. They stay down and keep stuff out of my boots.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I wear them almost all of the time - I just don't see any reason not to. They keep my feet dryer, rocks/dirt/leaves out of my boots, and they're not uncomfortable in the slightest. I don't even give it any thought - they just go on in the morning when I strap on my boots. My current set is made by Mountain Hardware as I found them for $10 at a Homer outdoors shop, but previously I had some OR ones that I was pleased with.

Huge fan of OR products. Something to be said about a company that stands behind their gear. They have sizes that work great with plastic boots that actually cover your laces for protection in shale country they are durable as hell. I did finally after about twenty trips into sheep country trash them but I simply sent them back and they replaced them no questions asked and free of charge.

I tested out the Kuiu gaitors on my two TMA sheep hunts. They took quite a beating and kept going, I loved having them. I was wearing plastic boots, and had no problems with mud and water getting in. My partner's feet were soaked. They worked really well climbing up loose rock and dirt and keeping the crap out of your boots as well. I am a believer in gaiters now. One of my buckles on the bottom strap broke in half though. I am going see if Kuiu will fix them for me or send me a new pair.

If you go with Mountain Hardware, get one size smaller than you wear, they run on the big side.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

+1 for gators I have used OR Crocodiles for years. The keep rain, water, snow and debris out and protect your pants and leather boots. If you wear them over good rain pants you can splash across a creek and not get wet. They are durable last for years and take two minutes to put on or take off. I wear them 90% of the time and always seem to regret it when I do not!

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    +1 for gators I have used OR Crocodiles for years. The keep rain, water, snow and debris out and protect your pants and leather boots. If you wear them over good rain pants you can splash across a creek and not get wet. They are durable last for years and take two minutes to put on or take off. I wear them 90% of the time and always seem to regret it when I do not!

Me 2, what he said....
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Pros:
    Keep pants clean on muddy trails
    Keep pant cuffs dry in short grass or tundra
    Great for keeping shallow snow out of boots
    Retain heat in boots in cold conditions

Cons:
    Only keep you dry from the shin down, taller grass/brush equals wet knees
    Retain heat in boots, will cook your feet if hiking distances
    Doesn't let perspiration expel from the top of your boots

Most instances I typically find that if I'm going to be wearing gators I might as well just wear my gore-tex rain pants. I've never had trouble with rocks or debris getting in the top of my boots so they don't help me there.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Just wondering who uses them for alaska hunting and what situations or area. I've never used them but thought about it. What are some of the pro and cons? Do you have a favorite brand?
    I started using them this year and they're great. The only downside to them is that they get warm if your exerting yourself and it's warm outside as well. They are wonderful for stream crossings. I can cross streams that are over the tops of my boots and the water does not get in. They are great when walking through grass and low brush like on the tundra to keep your lower legs and boots dry. Lastly is snow. I wish I had them on my kodiak trip last year, they would have kept the snow out of the tops of my boots. I have the Outdoor Research Krocodiles, I believe they have a lifetime warranty?

Just got back from an 8 day brn bear hunt on the Nushagak. My gaitors were the only piece of equipment that I regretted not having. I won't ever leave them behind again!

Default Gaiters?

I wore my kennetrek gaiters with my plastic boots and inngenerall really liked them. Only issue I had was the little metal piecees where the under foot strap connects occasionally caught on each other if my in steps brushed together. Usually only happened on technical ground where it would be the most deadly to trip and fall... thankfully they only caught for a second and came loose but certainly enough to bring up the pucker factor when crossing a steep scree chute!

Any suggestions for a gaiter that doesn't have anything to hang up like the kennetreks?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Any suggestions for a gaiter that doesn't have anything to hang up like the kennetreks?
    Yup. Berghaus Yeti's. Best gator known to man.

http://store.berghaus.com/p/gaiters/...gaiters/434560
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

These aren't gaiters and wouldn't replace them but somewhere I saw Tyvek pants being used to keep clothes and boots dry. Wonder how they would hold up in the brush? They are cheap.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.