Thread: Moose River (Petersville)

Default Moose River (Petersville)

Starting to try and make a plan for float hunting somewhere next year. Doing a road system hunt this year again in Petersville so I am going to poke around a little bit in the area while I am there but would love to here some advice from someone who has done this float before. Other than Strahan's book, is there any information anywhere else about this river? Could the river be floated with a Zodiac or would I need a river raft? Does Petersville road cross this river before or after Kroto Creek? If I took a Zodiac, would it be feasible to run back up the river to the put in point or is it better to just run it to oil well road? Can someone who has zero rafting experience handle this river? Is there a way to run the river in the winter on a snowmachine? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Don't know of a Moose River on Petersville road, however I do know of Moose Creek at about mile seven of Petersville road, if this is the same one you are thinking about the following is my experience with this creek. It was quite a few years ago but the first few mines had a lot of log jams, we had to pack the rafts several times. The float from Petersville road to Oilwell road can be done in one long day. You most likely won't be able to motor back up stream to where you put in at, however if you have two vehicles park one at the put in point and one at the take out point. Be careful at the Oilwell road parking area this is also the school bus turn around and if you park in the wrong spot they may tow your vehicle. Keep in mind that the rafts we were using only the smaller two person rafts, if you use a zodiak the upper part of the creek with the log jams could be very trying and time consuming. The creek is pretty easy to float slow moving once you get down it a ways, it is before Kroto creek on Petersville road, just past where you turn onto Oilwell road about a mile further down the road. It has been a while since i did this float, so hopefully somebody that has did it more recently will chime in, good luck.

The upper part of the creek from Petersville Road to the Oilwell bridge is only about 8 miles. The Moose Creek bridge is the first bridge you cross on Petersville Road. I doubt very much you could motor at all on it. The float is generally done from Oilwell down to where Moose Creek flows into the Deshka, then a pickup by riverboat and return to Willow.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Call Bob @ Tri-Rivers in Talkeetna he does or use to do a drop offs with canoes up there and has a pick up at Deshka
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sorry guys, I was meaning moose creek but was just reading a post about moose river right before I wrote this. Anyways, thanks for the replies. As stated before, this will be next years hunt so I got some time to research and prepare. Sometime this winter I may throw another post up for some chatting over maybe some breakfast and coffee or something. I think, for now, moose creek will be next years destination. Thanks again guys!!

You could float it in an inner tube... We used to do the float from Oilwell to mouth of Deshka in canoes, then get picked up at the mouth by a fishing guide and motored up to Deshka Landing. That was in May/early June, when water levels are typically fairly high. Unless August sees a lot of rain, water levels will be low during moose season. More skitters and white sox than anywhere I've been.

Andy

I can tell you about anything you want to know about that creek. Got a cabin pretty close to it and just floated it in July. You will need a pack raft or canoe. I would recommend a canoe. It is a 12 hour float from Petersville road to oilwell road. Give or take an hour or so..we were fishing and stopped at about every other ripple to catch grayling and trout. I would not recommend going on a high water ride. Way to many portages, we counted 7 total, not bad ones..but will require you to haul all your gear up to 20 yards on a couple. There is one major beaver dam across the creek. If you brought a chainsaw you would be able to clear them for the rest of us..lol This river is real easily a beginner stage river with a very slow flow on lower water.. if the water for high, you wll need some experience with the log jams and portages and could find yourself in a jam litteraly quick. I have trapped it and ran it in the winter. Recommend in lat Jan or Feb..and even then we busted through a few times and had to pull each other out. Keep in mind there are some deep holes in this creek like many others. The edges of the creek or choked full of tall grass making this a very difficult river to hunt. You would have to stop alot and get out, climb trees or find another alternative way to hunt them. There is limited high ground.

On a side note..after the intersection of oilwell road and moose creek. This seems to be the area hunters use as mentioned before down to the deshka..moose and bears will be more likely concentrated in this area. Hit me up on a PM for specifics if needed.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks Duckhunter for your reply!!

I was going to pm you but havent gotten my post count up enough. After this moose hunt is over for this year I will try and contact you for maybe a few more questions.

Hit me up at AlaskaDH01@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    I was going to pm you but havent gotten my post count up enough. After this moose hunt is over for this year I will try and contact you for maybe a few more questions.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Did you end up float hunting Moose Creek? How did it go?

I believe Karen Jettmar's "Alaska River Guide" has a writeup on this one too. We have that book in the store AT THIS LINK.

If any of you are looking for intel on any river systems anywhere in the state, have a look at our Master Rivers List. We've listed several hundred rivers around Alaska, together with the print, DVD and map resources available for them.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Did you end up float hunting Moose Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    How did the float hunt go?