Thread: 20A fire and moose season

Default 20A fire and moose season

Looks like the fire in 20A took out the area that we hunted for the last 7 years. I guess its time to start looking for other areas to investigate with the season opener only 9 days away....

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Looks like the fire in 20A took out the area that we hunted for the last 7 years. I guess its time to start looking for other areas to investigate with the season opener only 9 days away....
    Where abouts is the fire?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know.. if you havent been out there yet i would investigate it... while many of the maps DNP publish appear to have cleaned out all the area.. its often not the case. it often leave LARGE pockets of green the moose take refuge into.. the current one is a slow buring fire without to much push.. it is an old burn that re lit... and may well only be smoking us out. you may well do better then you have...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    tanana flats
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    tanana flats
    Thanks Vince.

Only saw 3 active fires reported today. 1 in the tanana delta at dry creek, one near the nowitna yk and one somewhere on military land.

Apparently the Dry Creek fire has been active since 6/16 if the data is right and only smoldering from a lightning strike. I'd check with some local pilots and see what they report.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Only saw 3 active fires reported today. 1 in the tanana delta at dry creek, one near the nowitna yk and one somewhere on military land.

Apparently the Dry Creek fire has been active since 6/16 if the data is right and only smoldering from a lightning strike. I'd check with some local pilots and see what they report.
    Yeah I'm seeing the same thing. Doesn't look like the most recent information is out there.

I talked to fire service today and they are looking at 32K acres burned but its not on the website yet. They are also expecting the fire to grow rapidly through the week and weekend with 10mph winds predicted through Saturday. If had burned earlier in the year and burned out we would probably be ok but when its burning just days before season opens I wouldnt expect much game to be anywhere around. ON a brighter note, it should be good hunting a few years down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    here is the link to a current photo towards the fire: http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/airquality/CRCurrentPhoto.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    here is the link to a current photo towards the fire: http://co.fairbanks.ak.us/airquality/CRCurrentPhoto.jpg
    That sucks! Love the bug on the camera lens. Hope it stays there I don't think we are hunting that far east. Then again we aren't moose hunting until the end of the season either. Hopefully it will be out by then.

It updates every 5 minutes so you can keep an eye on it

Any links to a general map depicting the burn?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

That's gonna make for some good hunting in a few years.

As long as it's out by november we'll be good!

I flew over that fire in a bush plane on Monday on the way back from Tok. Lots of area taken out. Saw about a dozen very scattered open flames, real spread out and nothing really big. As Vince said, lots of places that weren't touched right in the middle of everything.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Our area got burned out heavily in 2004. We started hunting some areas that had pockets of unburnt ground, and have done okay, but it has not been like before the burn. We are setting up new areas now that are both old burn and unburnt ground, and the moose sign looks very promising in there, but it takes a lot more effort to get in there. Basically when you get burnt out (pun intended) it's time to start scouting around and finding new areas. Just because a burn happened a few years ago, does not mean it turns the area back into great moose habitat. That hasn't been the case with several areas that we've scouted over the last 8 years.

Generally, it takes 7-11 years for a burn area to "peak". Per ADFG data on prior burns.