Thread: Dc001 success

Default Dc001 success

Backtrack 3 weeks ago. I had never been up resurrection trail so I went in on a scouting trip to check the area I wanted to hunt. I wanted to have a good gameplan for getting on the mountain and I was also interested in the possibility of riding my bike in there. The trail looked good, I found a good way up on the mountain, and also spotted a couple caribou. I went to work for 2 weeks and trained pretty hard (not hard enough). Day 1, hit the trailhead in the morning, it was raining with no end in sight. I rode in as far as I could, about 10 miles. Hiked the rest of the way to the base of the mountain, another 2 miles. There was a group of spruce trees I wanted to camp next to, so I busted brush, crossed a creek and fought my way up to the spruce trees. There were a couple hidden valleys that were not visible from the trail, they made things much more challenging. I had camp all set up and it was still raining and the mountain was covered in clouds/fog. I decided get some good rest and hit it in the morning. Day 2, peeked out the tent to find scattered fog, but no rain. I had breakfast and some coffee and glassed the nearby mountain side to see if I might get lucky and catch one nearby, I didn't see anything. I climbed up to the top only to find near whiteout conditions. I walked slowly up to each rise and waited for the fog to clear so I could take a look over the top. I came up to a really good looking spot and watched for quite awhile without seeing anything. I slowly starting making my way across the opening and I looked to my right and seen the tops of some horns sticking up. I dropped to the ground and dropped my pack. The wind was in my favor and I crawled to with 30 yards, I could see the base of the horns now, it was obvious the caribou was laying down. I was worried if I got any closer the caribou would see or hear me. I thought about backing up and trying to come around the side, but then I wouldn't have the wind anymore. I just laid there ready to shoot, hoping it would get up. After what seemed like forever, I grew impatient and decided to make a move. I was ready to shoot, I had my scoped turned all the way down 2.5x, I stood up, took aim as the caribou also stood up, along with his buddy, and sent a shot right through the shoulder blade. The caribou dropped instantly and his buddy milled around for a minute confused about what just happened.

Not a trophy in the record books, but a trophy in my book. In hindsight, I am glad it wasn't one of those monster bou's, I would still be packing. It was rough enough as it was, and I wouldn't have been able to do it like I did without my new Barneys Yukon pack. I humped the whole caribou back to camp and pondered my options. I decided to split my load in two and get everything off the mountain. I got all this done around 9pm. I camped out for the night and slept really well. I woke up at 6:30 and had breakfast while I thought about the pack out. I went ahead and decided to load everything in the pack and see if it would be doable in one trip. I have had some heavy packs before and this was right up there, but I never had to go 12 miles before. I decided to go for it. I made it to my bike and found out that pedaling was going to be near impossible. I did find out that coasting down the declines was doable and it saved me a lot of time. It was rough, but I made it to the truck and I was pretty exhausted. It was a very rewarding solo hunt, but if I ever draw again I think I will try to go in with a partner.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Awesome - congratulations! My wife will not let me go without a partner but I am starting to show my age, wear and tear.

Sounds like you had a great hunt! A partner definantly comes in handy when its time to lug meat, but there is also something to be said for solo hunting!!

Congrats and thanks for the post and photos..

Atta boy! Nice caribou and write-up.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Good job and good memories. thanks for sharing.

Default Dc001 success

That's a tough hunt! Congrats.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Re: Dc001 success

Nice job.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing...I head that direction in a couple weeks. It is a mystery whether I will be solo or not.

Great job. Solo hunts are so much more rewarding because if you fail it is all on you and if you score it is all your glory. Tough job, awesome work.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

Hunting in the fog is a challenge and very rewarding when it works out. Tough call: move or stay put. Congrats on making the right one.

What a great story,....thanks for the write-up

I love the, wait, then "havin' to force the issue for a close range kill"

and the biking in deal also sounds great

a "Trophy of a Hunt Experience," for sure
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Dc001 success

Awesome, glad to see your hard work pay off. I'm looking at heading out on the same hunt solo next week. Hoping the weather will be a little better then. I haven't had a chance to scout yet myself, just got back from a goat hunt. Hoping that I can have some success like you. In the very least I'll get a good workout in and see some beautiful sights even if I come back empty handed.

Good job on one tough hunt! Nothing like having animals appear out of the fog like that, you never know whats going to happen when that stuff lifts.

Solo success! Tasty looking critter.

Default Dc001 success

I have done that hunt twice both times unsuccessfully. Any animal is a trophy on that hunt, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    That's a tough hunt! Congrats.
    It's a super tough hunt. It really is a sheep hunt for caribou. I was out there with a bow for the last week and holy crap! Congrats on yer kill. After hunting this one, the last thing I am is a trophy hunter. Any 'bou will do! Again, nice work!

great job! thanks for the write up and sharing
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Congrats! Getting a caribou in there solo (and getting it out!) is quite an accomplishment. Doing it in the rain and fog doesn't make it any easier. Well done. You can think back on that hunt with pride every time you cook up some caribou this winter.

Thanks for the great write up! Really enjoyed it.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

You for sure earned that meat and memory
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you