Thread: Trophy size day with the boys, offshore

Default Trophy size day with the boys, offshore

Couldn't get out to the big current areas for the nice Halibut,....

trying to stay in some nicer waters for the sake of the Seattle Cousin's sealegs,...

but we had a Trophy size day, anyway,....

sometimes just hanging with boys, finding something exciting for 'em, like Black Rockfish, by the dozens,...
    and some time doing a Shore Excursion,....is really better than a jag of meat on the boat

I Love getting Older Wiser, more Careful with my Priorities

they were both thrilled by this little Golden Cod,
    found underneath the Kelp Beds, where we had anchored for lunch

I wasn't even thinking fish up in there,...but those young guys,....were Flat Out Determined

Hey Fellow Dads,....Don't Forget how easy it is to thrill your younguns,.....
    Just Get Out There,...Something cool will happen, guaranteed
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Looks like a great day! Your right they don't stay young forever so we need to get out and do things with'em! mine are grown but hopefully my grandkids (they're in Illinois) will get a chance for some of this kind of fun.

Amen to that rain!!!

I have a 5 and 8 eight year old and have had my best days this year when I never reeled in a thing....
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Looks like extra special to me. Good on ya.

kodiakrain,

Thanks for the great post and reminder to enjoy the little things. We did our anual halibut meat run trip in PWS recently and your comments hit home. The first day of fishing I realized I forgot the halibut weights and the bait scents. I about blew a gasket as we were 70 miles out from Whittier and planning to stay out for a week. We improvised and caught some fish.

The ironic thing was the most fun we had on the trip were the nightly family game of hearts, not the fishing. Our boys have grown up doing these family boating trips and it has become a big part of all our memories and created a stronger family bond.

Blink, 14 years later....

Keep enjoying spending time with your kids whenever the opportunity presents itself. The kid raising time window goes by fast.

Doug

Man Doug, you're about to make me cry with that "blink, 14 years later" comment. My boys are 2 and 4 and I'm already finding myself wondering where the time has gone. We're working on building those memories, though.

Thanks for the thread, Al. I love seeing pictures like these.

I'll have to dig up this year's saltwater pictures off of my other computer later tonight.

Speaking of blinking, my baby girl headed off for college last week.

I did manage to get in a father/daughter fishing trip this summer.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yeah, Me Too, Doug,....that was a Heckuva, "Blink," there

Staggering to consider,....my boys are 5 and 10,...well 11 now, as of a few days back,....
    and there is no higher priority than the times with them

on the day mentioned in post #1,...I remember,"not really being comfortable with leaving the boat,"
    cause the anchor was potentially,...."not in good holding ground",...so I was nervous about leaving it with the canoe

finally, after the boys were astoundingly patient,...we Canoed ashore on an island near Kodiak,
    where we came around a corner on the beach, and surprised two Bald Eagles, feeding on a Blacktail fawn
    had recently fallen off a cliff,....then noticed an interesting potential "Wildlife Drama"
    there were two of them, that apparently had been "Driven off the cliff, by Eagles",...good mystery anyway
    two Fawn skeletons, one fresh,....in the same place,....right underneath a complete dropoff

so we explored the top of the cliff, sure enough a Deer trail, right along the edge of the cliff,...we're still wondering about that
    "Is it possible the Eagles know they can spook the inexperienced Fawns right in this spot,..??"

and we found some WWII bunkers, both a Pillbox, or Machine Gun Emplacement, and an Ammo bunker
    that we locals, hadn't been to before,....Ultimately thrilling for the imagination of young boys

Can you see,...the excitement,...just exploring the beach ??

then back at the boat, after just a great time on shore, a remote island
    while I'm messing around getting the anchor up,....they get the rods in action,...and pull up the little Cod

Was quite the "Correction to me, for my tendency to worry, about what could go wrong,...."

So Glad we got off the boat,...and that the Black Rocks showed up like they tend to do on Pinnacles
    Alaska is So Rich,....it's unimaginable sometimes

Hey Brian,....I especially love your pics #3,..."starting them off Young"
    and #4, your Darling Girl, taking advantage of the days when you can really..."Appreciate the mighty Sculpin/bullhead,"

Looking Forward to more of your Saltwater Pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Yeah, Me Too, Doug,....that was a Heckuva, "Blink," there
    Man Doug, you're about to make me cry with that "blink, 14 years later" comment.
    Sorry boys, it was not my intent to make people cry. It has been a great ride for our family. But our oldest son, like Paul's daughter, just graduated from high school and it is time for him to figure out what he wants out of life and go make it happen. It is his time now to make his own adventures, whatever that may be. We are entering the next phase of life and I am looking forward to it. It is all good.

So to lighten things up, here are some kid pictures that always bring a smile to my face when I see them. Warning, it is hard to pick out just a couple of pictures.

Kids having fun....

Things kids will do....

Bugs, what bugs.

It's too hot.

Time for a bath.

Let's launch the kayak from top of the beach.

Want a shrunken head?

Why I go boating....

Doug

Here are a few from this summer's saltwater excursions with our little ones. I hope you don't mind us hijacking your thread, Al - it seems you struck a nerve with a few other fathers here.

Top shelf thread. We have 3 married daughters and 10 grand kids. Love em all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Here are a few from this summer's saltwater excursions with our little ones. I hope you don't mind us hijacking your thread, Al - it seems you struck a nerve with a few other fathers here.
    Naw, that's the idea behind the thread,....Get us all talking about those little ones,....
    Wouldn't have imagined it would turn out this cool,...

Lovin' these pics,....Tack On, Tack On

Roland, do you have any ? the ones from way back in the archives,...are great

Default You guys are right

Goes fast. I moved here in 2004 and was surprized when I realized that the boys had grown up here and barely remembered Oregon. Thanks for reminding me how quick it's going. Great thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.