Thread: Kenai Blackies in Oct?

Default Kenai Blackies in Oct?

So I struck out this past spring up near Cooper's Landing, I'm looking to give it another shot. I need off the island for a break, thinking of 2 weeks, last week of Sept and first week of Oct, fishing and hunting. Blacks should be in full swing up high right? Thinking of setting up camp somewhere near Russain River and doing day hunts up high. Wake up in the morning and flip a coin, fish or hunt.

It's wierd, i spent 3 years in Ketchikan and saw bears everywhere but only wanted a nice brownie, didnt; even hunt blacks. Now I'm in Kodiak, I have this itch for a black bear in the mountains and it's killing me.

Yep, your timing should be perfect. Glassing high mountainsides should be productive, but be sure to look high - often above the goats and sheep. Be willing to glass a lot and climb, and you should do well.

Years ago on Oct 23rd I killed a beautiful little blackie that died with a mouth full of blue berries. It was "almost" right above Jim's Landing. I spotted him from the highway and went after him. Spooked him the first day because I tried to get too close. Came back the second day and he was still there. Took the shot across the canyon this time.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

timing will be right on(as stated above)- they will be in full swing. an option for you is setting up camp in the "old ball field" near moose pass and glassing the sourounding hillsides and pick which bear you want to go after. this area is fairly close to the russian and is free to camp. theres lots of blackies down that way- lots

Default where is that

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    timing will be right on(as stated above)- they will be in full swing. an option for you is setting up camp in the "old ball field" near moose pass and glassing the sourounding hillsides and pick which bear you want to go after. this area is fairly close to the russian and is free to camp. theres lots of blackies down that way- lots
    where is there a ball field in moose pass? near the russian river? not quite picturing that....

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    where is there a ball field in moose pass? near the russian river? not quite picturing that....
    there is a gravel pit just north of moose pass right off of upper trail lake that is, or used to be refered to as "the old ball field" "Near" the russian- ok prob not, but is a short drive away. in my opinion fairly close.

Man, I was hoping it would be a little late, even the freshwater guys said it should be good. Looks like mom and dad aren't getting anything for x-mas this year. I'm taking that money and heading to Kenai

Any of the federal campgrounds that are still open have free campimg at that time. I've spotted quite a few bears on the hill across the highway from the Quartz Creek campground,. The other poster was also right about the Moose Pass area - lots of bears on the hills there. I'd probably try to go in early October - less ice to break out of rod eyes & more bears still awake.

Will the weather be as wet and windy as in Kodiak that time of year? I don;t mind teh cold or thei ice, I'm originally from the Great Lakes so iced rods don't bother me, nor does snow and frozen nose hairs, but that 35 degree rain...... and 70mph winds....

I was thinking of setting up at Russian River Camp, good central location between Fuller/Skyline and Moose Pass, if it's got room/free.

You could see anything from the low 60s to the mid 30s for daytime temperatures. There's no telling if it'll be windy/rainy or sunny and balmy until you unzip your tent in the morning. Be prepared for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You could see anything from the low 60s to the mid 30s for daytime temperatures. There's no telling if it'll be windy/rainy or sunny and balmy until you unzip your tent in the morning. Be prepared for both.

Yep, we were down there at the end of September a few years ago. Bottom of the mountain in the morning was about 58 and seemed to be rising. When we got up high and were looking around, it was snowing on us and cold as hell. We were all excited to get back down to warmer weather and when we did it was about 37 and raining with some pretty strong winds at around 2 pm. It was absolutely miserable until the sun came back out an hour later and brought it back up around 55ish. Just a really weird day. Plan for the worst and hope for the best!

So far my plans are to run up either the 29th of Sep or the 1st of Oct, depends on Ferry (driver goes free as of oct 1st, spend a few days hutnin/fishing depending on weather and my mood. Then run up to Anchorage and spend a day or 2 with friends (shower run). then go back down and finish out the trip hunting. May have a bud or 2 come down from anchorage and do a float while we're there. Can I hunt the actual river for blackies while floating the river? I'll be fishing, but if I can take a blackie while floating why not, other thna probably gonna be a fish fed bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So far my plans are to run up either the 29th of Sep or the 1st of Oct, depends on Ferry (driver goes free as of oct 1st, spend a few days hutnin/fishing depending on weather and my mood. Then run up to Anchorage and spend a day or 2 with friends (shower run). then go back down and finish out the trip hunting. May have a bud or 2 come down from anchorage and do a float while we're there. Can I hunt the actual river for blackies while floating the river? I'll be fishing, but if I can take a blackie while floating why not, other thna probably gonna be a fish fed bear.
    abel im planning on hunting black bear around this time on the kenai. its like a week after i get back from AFG. shoot me a PM if you would want to get together. i am looking for a hunting buddy for the weekend.

Sounds like plan to me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    there is a gravel pit just north of moose pass right off of upper trail lake that is, or used to be refered to as "the old ball field" "Near" the russian- ok prob not, but is a short drive away. in my opinion fairly close.
    is there a road or a trail that leads to this gravel pit?

B
    Quote Originally Posted by tfaudree5 View Post
    is there a road or a trail that leads to this gravel pit?
    Yes there is a road, it is right off the highway just north of moose pass. Its on the left if you are headed south. It is right before moosepass. Not sure on the exact mile, but I think it about mile 29. It a good sized pit and plenty of room~ people also launch boats ther e on upper trail lake as its right next to the lake. Sent from my p.o.s. phone

i think i found it on google earth. im going to check it out when i get back. even if i dont get one it will be nice to be out in there in the mountains.