Thread: 25 Wssm

Default 25 Wssm

Anyone have reloading data on 25 WSSM for 65 gr bullets? I got a buddy wanting some loads done but it is not in my books. Don't want to make it a guessing game in a rifle I don't own.

I only load 85gr Ballistic tips and 110gr Accubonds in mine.Let me know if you want either of these.I do have info for all the other loads,just havent loaded any.

What is your case life like on the 25wssm? Been toying with the idea.

I have read that people are getting 8-10 loadings as long as they full length size them between loads. I have only loaded the brass once after firing them so I dont have too much experience after that.

It uses 257 roberts data. Same case capacity. My experience is that they eat brass. About half of the factory loads fired will not hold a primer again. Useless piece of crap. Sorta like all of the short fats. JMO.

Hey, the 284 is a good round! As is the 243. They are short and fat. If someone would standardize the 25 souper...as if we don't have more than enough chamberings.

Default Substitute brass?

Is the 257 roberts brass close enough to resize to the 25wssm? I do that for my 308 norma mag using a 338 win mag. Keeps me from have to by those "gold" cases from norma. I know squat about the 25 wssm...

Quote Originally Posted by mweisenbaugh View Post
    Is the 257 roberts brass close enough to resize to the 25wssm? I do that for my 308 norma mag using a 338 win mag. Keeps me from have to by those "gold" cases from norma. I know squat about the 25 wssm...
    NO. Not even close. Two totally different cases. You won't have a problem loading for this one if you don't try to get advertised specs. Also, the powders for the roberts are not good for the super short.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Dangerous thought here, but do you think that the blended powders that we are starting to see used will be available to reloaders any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Also, the powders for the roberts are not good for the super short.

Really.......................All the data I have they both use the same ones. Medium to slow powders (Varget to 760) If it is the same capacity with the same bore it uses the same powder to get the same results. No matter what the Ad agency tells us about case shape. It is all BS and Winchester got what they deserve for serving up this crap. If the 223, 243 and 25 are loaded to safe pressures they are no better than a Swift, 6mm or 257 roberts. The 270 may, MAY be there only "good" one. But big friggin' deal. It is the same as the 1940 270 WBY or a 1960's 7mm RM. There 7 wsm is yawn. The 300 will do about what a .30'06 Hornady light mag will do. The short fat Remingtons are even a bigger joke. Oh' yeah and being phased out.

Sorry for the rant. I have put up with clients with these things for a few years and am sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorn Hunter View Post
    Really.......................All the data I have they both use the same ones. Medium to slow powders (Varget to 760) If it is the same capacity with the same bore it uses the same powder to get the same results. No matter what the Ad agency tells us about case shape. It is all BS and Winchester got what they deserve for serving up this crap. If the 223, 243 and 25 are loaded to safe pressures they are no better than a Swift, 6mm or 257 roberts. The 270 may, MAY be there only "good" one. But big friggin' deal. It is the same as the 1940 270 WBY or a 1960's 7mm RM. There 7 wsm is yawn. The 300 will do about what a .30'06 Hornady light mag will do. The short fat Remingtons are even a bigger joke. Oh' yeah and being phased out.

Sorry for the rant. I have put up with clients with these things for a few years and am sick of it.
    Just because you get the powder in the case and drop the hammer on a primer and the bullet leaves the barrel doesn't mean it is a good mix of components. Did you ever think that the reason you have such lousy luck with the caliber is because you are using powder that is too slow? The Roberts is generally considered better with the medium slow powders such as 4064, 4350, even 4831 for heavier bullets.

The 25 super short, though it cannot equal the Roberts ballistically, can be loaded especially with light bullets to very good varminter ballistics. 60-75 grain bullets will achieve 3600 fps with Varget, H4895 and Viht N140. Even though the case capacity is very close to the Roberts case, it responds more like a smaller case and just .25 grains difference in powder charge can cause a 10,000 psi jump in pressures. Slower powders make this more critical. This expains the ruined factory cases which are loaded with a caseful of ball powder which looks a lot like W760. This is a poor choice for a propellant for this stubby case.

Rant on all you want about the advertised "bullistics" of this cartridge, you are right. The series was misrepresented from the beginning. I will have to disagree about the WSM cases, they are very strong and take many high pressure loads without stretching the pockets. The WSSM case are not as strong and are actually inferior to the PPC cases which are just the AK-47 brass.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Dangerous thought here, but do you think that the blended powders that we are starting to see used will be available to reloaders any time soon?
    What powders? Who is blending powders?

Sorry, just pulled that out of tyhe back of my mind mixed together with a few other things. What I was thinking of was the "high energy" 15% nitro powders that T/C is using with the 30TC and that Hornady uses in the Light Magnum cartridges.

The only online reference that I could find was at the site below on the left sidebar. I was mixing my new cartridges (25WSSM and 30 TC) and thinking that it was a powder mixture, not high nitro (early alzheimers).

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/NewAge.html

uses what is termed “high-energy” powders containing as much as 15-percent nitroglycerin, and, no, handloaders do not have access to these powders.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.