Thread: Most Reasonable Black Tail Hunting

Default Most Reasonable Black Tail Hunting

Simply, what is it? Is it better to go out of Kodiak on a boat or plane? Suggestions on transporters to use, and locations. I'd like to do a hunt myself, but not sure where to go or how to do it. Is Southeast better? Any help is quite appreciated.

I've been going out of Kodiak. Logisticaly it's just easier for me. Hop the ferry in Homer, charter a plane out of Kodiak and go. Area to pick is the problem.

I worked with a Transporter a couple years. He had a 44ft boat and hauled 4 hunters at a time. We picked up the hunters Sundays at the Kodiak Airport, and returned Saturdays. We fed the hunters a hot breakfast, gave them a sack lunch and put them ashore in pairs, picking them up usually in the afternoons, and again a hot meal. Using a boat, gives one more mobility, than hunting from a cabin, or camp, and it's much more comfortable than sleeping ashore in a tent. I have no idea what current prices are, but I'm sure if you'd google up the Kodiak Chamber of Commerce they'd be happy to send you some brochures from Transporters. Also a few of the big Halibut Charters out of Homer would run their 50 and 60ft boats over to Kodiak to Transport deer hunters. You might check with the Homer Chamber of Commerce or their Charter Assoc for a list of them who still do it.

Links to the deer management reports can be found here.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...lifemanagement

I would talk to the Bio here on what style hunt you prefer and what your time frame is, then go from there. If you don;t like busting the brush and decent weather, treat it like a goat hunt, fly into a lake. If you want to beach hunt, go later when the snow has pushed them down. If it doesn't matter, well, then, just flip a coin.

I prefer a boat based trip.
    Mobility, allows you to drop crab pots, fish for h-but, hunt ducks, hide out if the weather kicks up, gets you off the island if bears still roaming, etc....
    Al Cratty out of Old Harbor is top notch.
    BK