Thread: Rabbit Cycles

Default Rabbit Cycles

With rabbit and hare running 7 year cycles does anyone have input on the population this year? I hear that it is still high toward Homer but have not heard much from the rest of the state.

Default Rabbit Cycles

Supposedly it peaks up north one year and then starts shifting further south each following season. 2007-2008 was booming in south central so I don't expect really high numbers for another year or two. We didn't have a problem finding a few hares last year but we weren't limiting out in an hour or two like we were a few years back!!

Seems to me the population around Kenai has been decreasing for the past 3 years, I figured we peaked around 2009 or so which seems to generally agree with LuJon's numbers.

I actually had quite a bit of trouble finding rabbits last year, I think I only shot 3 all fall/winter/spring in areas i've done much better a couple years ago.

We found them in pockets and I fear you are right about the down swing.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Seems to me the population around Kenai has been decreasing for the past 3 years, I figured we peaked around 2009 or so which seems to generally agree with LuJon's numbers..
    Same on the Hope Road area.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Same on the Hope Road area.

I've seen more in the Hope Road this year to date, than I had this time last year. And at the end of the year last year, I'd seen more than I had the year before??

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I've seen more in the Hope Road this year to date, than I had this time last year. And at the end of the year last year, I'd seen more than I had the year before??
    Maybe we'll get lucky and it was a shorter down cycle this time, i'm sure thats not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Maybe we'll get lucky and it was a shorter down cycle this time, i'm sure thats not impossible.

It's also not impossible that my numbers aren't indicative of the peninsula's population trends. Hopefully, they are, though.

Yeah that would be a nice surprise!