Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic mountain hunting boots recomendations?

Default Plastic mountain hunting boots recomendations?

I have a May (early Winter) hunt in New Zealand next year, and then I'll be moving from Australia back to Alaska at Christmas time of next year.

I'd like to find a pair of boots that work well for sheep/goat hunting.

Right now I have a 20 year old pair of Scarpas that are going in the trash, and a pair of Danner Canadians that are not stiff enough for the mountains. They work well for elk in Wyoming, and hunting winter Sambar here in Australia.

I am 5'11, 220 pounds and wear a 13EE. Not sure if that helps or not.

I am gambling on Koflach Degree boots. I just purchased a shiny new set with zero miles on them that I am planning to wear out in search of sheep. This will be my first rodeo with plastics and I am looking forward to side-hilling in comfort!!

Waidmannsdank!

I was doing a search for the Danner Canadians and came across this thread. Looking for a good pair of hunting boots without breaking the bank. How have your Danners performed for you? I was looking into these for general hunting in Alaska, by that I mean for sheep hunting I would probably purchase something else more suited for the rough mountain terrain. Thanks

While I have never used plastics and probably never will, check out hanwags from Lathrop and sons. I have the mountain gtx and am impressed all the way around.

Koflach Degree boots, make sure to get them heat fit to your feet and also make sure to wear the same sock combo to heat fit as you will hunt in. They worked great, stay dry, don't stretch when wet, the liners dry fast, and the liners make great camp boots.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Steve, are talking about them heating/stretch the shells? Or do they now come with a heat fit liner? My Lowa Civettas may have seen their last trip this year. I may be shopping for some new plastics. Last time I tried the Koflach Degress was before they sold and were bought out by Scarpa I think? Anyway, at that time the shells just didn't fit the shape of my foot. Where did you get your Koflachs?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Steve, are talking about them heating/stretch the shells? Or do they now come with a heat fit liner? My Lowa Civettas may have seen their last trip this year. I may be shopping for some new plastics. Last time I tried the Koflach Degress was before they sold and were bought out by Scarpa I think? Anyway, at that time the shells just didn't fit the shape of my foot. Where did you get your Koflachs?
    I ordered mine online last spring and got them on sale and saved about 150 bucks. I heated the liners in the oven and then used a blow dyer to heat the boot and then let it all cool on my foot. More to it, just google it and you will see how.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Waidmannsdank!

I was doing a search for the Danner Canadians and came across this thread. Looking for a good pair of hunting boots without breaking the bank. How have your Danners performed for you? I was looking into these for general hunting in Alaska, by that I mean for sheep hunting I would probably purchase something else more suited for the rough mountain terrain. Thanks
    They are great! I have 5 pairs of Danner boots if that says anything about how much I like my Danners.

I understand it is possible to get Danners that are not made in America, so make sure of that before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I ordered mine online last spring and got them on sale and saved about 150 bucks. I heated the liners in the oven and then used a blow dyer to heat the boot and then let it all cool on my foot. More to it, just google it and you will see how.
    Thanks for the explanation...probably making the switch to plastics next year. How are the Koflach holding up?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Another +1 for the Koflachs Mine took a beating this year and kept going. Zero blisters, and excellent traction. I am thinking of using them on the tundra too. I can see a definite advantage with those when walking on the tussoks.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Another +1 for the Koflachs Mine took a beating this year and kept going. Zero blisters, and excellent traction. I am thinking of using them on the tundra too. I can see a definite advantage with those when walking on the tussoks.

I use mine on all my hunts.. They also shine in the tussoks.. I have been using degrees the last several years as they are a little less stiff. The Scarpa infernos are bullet proof but they take a little more to get used to.. Scarpa also has a boot comparable to degrees (make sense since same company) but I cant recall the model at the minute.. I can usually get about a half of dozen sheep hunts on a pair (depending on mountains) before they lose their edges so they do hold up fairly well.. add a pair of barneys glacier socks and you'll be set..

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Ok... I just got mine all set up with my insoles and all laces plus my kenetrek gaiters adjusted to fit. Only question is there are 4 little adhesive backed fabric circles that came with them and I have no clue what they are for.

What size do I order? 99% of my boots are 13s. Does that mean for Koflach I am a 13? Or am I a 12.5? My Danners are all 13s, the ones that fit well anyway.

Hard to say but I usually wear a 12.5 or 13 US boot. I tried the 11.5 UK which should be the equivelant and it was very tight. I then tried the 12.5 UK size and it fit but my toes were too close to the tips and it was a little tight. 13UK with slightly thicker socks and orange superfeet seem to do the trick for me. I still have 0 mikes on mine but am headed out to change that shortly and will report back my thoughts afterwards

Thanks LuJon, I look forward to hearing what you think.

I haven't found anyone here in the Australian capitol that has any for sale. I'll be at my folks house in Wyoming in October for Wyoming elk season, hopefully I can find a pair to try on.

I got a pair of Koflach Degres in June and used them this past sheep hunt. They are awesome!! I have used all the major leather boot brands (Lowa, Skarpa, Meindle, Zamberlain) and these are the best for me. I have two terrible ankles and need the support which these definitely provide. They flex a lot more than I thought towards the forefoot. They actually are very comfortable to walk on flat ground with once you get used to walking style. Like Stid2677 said, they don't stretch when wet and get them heat molded; use the socks and insole that you normally use when trying them on etc.

Yeah I have personally always found that in koflach(and scarpas too) I need at least one size bigger they just seem to run small

Fitting plastic boots is like fitting downhill ski boots. The shell needs to fit the shape of your foot. For me, the Koflachs were to narrow in the toe and too sloppy in the heel. The Lowa Civettas happened to fit me. Same size as my street shoes or boots.

I think a guy has a little more leeway with plastics though when it comes to fit. If the liner fits good and the shell doesn't have any major pressure points, a guy can take up extra space by putting a "shim" in the shell then insert the liner. That combined with custom foot beds and away you go. Also, since you have the liner, slippage doesn't end up with blisters. I've never had a blister with my plastics, ever, never, no not one and I'm prone to blisters. I always get them with leathers, always, never fails.

I will never wear a pair of leather boots on another sheep hunt again, ever. Period, end of story. I put 60+ mile on this last hunt, packed heavy loads in wet tough terrain and no way my ankles or feet could have made it without the protection and support of the plastic boots. I've got 5 hunts on my Lowas and it's time to replace them though. Soles are losing their edges. To many rocks and shale.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Looks like you guys are sold on plastic boots. I have always thought they would turn into a bucket of water after several hours of hard walking. I guess it depends upon how much your feet sweat but is there a way for moisture to get out of the boots?

ALso, they look like they weigh a ton and would wear you out after 100 yds. Are they really that much heavier than leather boots?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

For what it is worth to anyone, we will have a ton of plastic mountaineering boots for sale at the upcoming gear sale for dirt cheap (see thread about NOLS Gear sale). I am not trying to push the sale, just trying to get rid of all these boots. The market for plastic boots is extremely small (comparatively) and we retire dozens of them every year. Most of the shells are in excellent shape, and the liners are in decent shape. Worst case scenario you can order new liners from the manufacturer much cheaper than the whole boot. We have Scarpas, Koflachs and Asolos. We have these boots for sale for $10 a pair. Just trying to get rid of them.

In addition, we keep a brand new stock of all of these boots in all sizes for our courses. If anyone is having trouble finding boots to try on to see what size and model works best for you, feel free to shoot me a PM and you can stop by the branch sometime to test them out.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast