Thread: Kenai Peninsula shore fishing success

Default Kenai Peninsula shore fishing success

Went out with my brother today hoping to catch a small halibut or something like that from the beach. It was a beautiful sunny day, but the waves were rolling pretty hard onto the beach making it hard to fish our normal beach set-up. We decided to go for it and set up a couple of rods with weights, spin n glos and herring and chucked them out and hung out and relaxed. A while later one of the rods started bouncing hard and he hooked up with a nice silver. After a fun battle he landed a nice 10lb fish. His first fish in Alaska and the first salmon I've caught in the salt from the beach. Great fun and even tastier on the grill for dinner tonight.

Nice job! Got any pics?
    Oh and what beach was it if you don't mind sharing. If you do no problem I was just curious.
    Send me a PM and I will hook you up with some surfcast specific weights I make that may help in the heavy surf like we had today.
    I didn't fish but the Fiancee talked me into an hour on the beach looking for agates.
    Only found one she found 6 including a nice size banded one and the kid found four.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Very cool, i've always thought silvers from the beach should be doable around here! Whole herring, strips, or ???

We were down by Whiskey Gulch. We we casting herring that we just cut into head half and tail half. They were bigger than trolling herring but smaller than the big ones we normally use fishing halibut, so we just made them a little smaller.

Grilled half last night with just a little salt and pepper, and cooked the other half tonight topped with horseradish and then shredded potatoes and baked it. Very tasty.

Kevin Silver Beach.jpgKevin Silver Home.jpg

Very cool! We tried the mouth of the Kenai tonight, 1 fish lost of unknown species and nothing else in 4 hours!

Thanks for the pics and nice job on the fish.
    The one time I went earlier this summer all I ended up catching were spiny dogfish. The guy just down the beach from me caught a nice 20+# halibut after only 20 minutes of fishing.
    I do need to get out again but it might have to wait until next year as I have a lot to do this fall.
    I made some new weights to test. I tried the Hilts claw sinkers I made and was unimpressed.
    I need to test the Bulldozer sinkers as well as the Storm sinkers I just made. I really think the storm sinkers will be the ticket for surfcasting.The bulldozer I made only go to 5oz but the storm sinkers come in 2,3,4,6,and 8 oz. I really think the 6 and 8 oz will work good on those heavy surf/tide days like we had when you were fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    We were down by Whiskey Gulch. We we casting herring that we just cut into head half and tail half. They were bigger than trolling herring but smaller than the big ones we normally use fishing halibut, so we just made them a little smaller.

Grilled half last night with just a little salt and pepper, and cooked the other half tonight topped with horseradish and then shredded potatoes and baked it. Very tasty.

Kevin Silver Beach.jpgKevin Silver Home.jpg
    Very nice!!! What a super bonus. I'm not sure why more people don't fish for silvers (and kings) off the Whiskey Gulch beach.

But I wouldn't eat those herring, though, even if you grill them and put other stuff on them! (I'm just joking!!! The way you worded this post makes it sound as though you grilled the herring.)
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

But I thought I would pickle the silver and grill the bait as a fun change of pace. I was wondering why it didn't turn out so well. I think I forget about going down to the beach because I always seem to run out of time in summer. On a nice sunny day it doesn't get much better than that too. Now I need to get a few halibut for the freezer.