Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: duck loads!

Default duck loads!

anyone been buying there loads duck season yet? if so let me know what you guys shooting? im thinking about black cloud snow good in #2 for ducks and regular black cloud in #2 and BB for ducks and smaller geese. Has anyone tried the snow goose? i heard its good.

used the black cloud stuff one time...couldnt tell the difference from that from the fast steel by winchester...it is all a marketing gig...sure some performs better. But in AK with all the thin feathers and young birds don't see the need for it. save your money and shoot the cheaper stuff. I would recommend pattering your gun with some different loads by different makers. Some of that fast steel might pattern better than the high dollar stuff.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I tried some Blindside last year and yeah it worked. Did it outperform the cheap stuff? Probably not.
    I am far from an expert on hunting ducks but would agree most of it is a marketing ploy. Every manufacturer wants you to believe they have the next big thing.
    Blackcloud #2 also worked for me. I even killed a few wild turkeys last fall with it. Ducks and Turkeys all ended up dead so I guess that means it worked.
    The idea behind it is sound but there are so many variables in duck hunting and for guys like myself who only get out a few times each year I don't suppose we would ever know the difference.
    I would venture a guess that buying cheaper shells and using the money saved to buy more clays and cheap practice loads would probably put more birds on my table.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default duck loads!

I always say that stuff is for guys who just plain can't shoot birds and think it will help. Blue box federal is what I buy, and I do better than my buddies paying $25 a box...and mine cost $13...I cut a lot of shells open one year to find the most consistent pellets and federal blue had them. Winchester x-pert was the worst for round pellets. So I vote...blue box federal... #2, 3" or 3.5". If you miss you miss. If you hit the bird, you hit the bird. I think the number of birds I hit and get away is very very small.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

Fiocchi Tundra by the cases 3" 1 3/8oz load #3 for geese, cranes, and ducks, Patterns good at 40 yds with my Medusa "Benelli Super Black eagle dos" and you get a little extra range with the patternmaster choke. Only had a chance to shoot a couple boxes at the end of the year last season, but was crushing skidish geese at 50-60yds.

I agree with 375, I shoot $13 blue box federal number 2s and probably kill just as many birds as the guys shooting those $25-30 box black clouds, blindsides, super express square shot waterfowl extra killing shells, ect. I believe it's all a big scam.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I agree with 375, I shoot $13 blue box federal number 2s and probably kill just as many birds as the guys shooting those $25-30 box black clouds, blindsides, super express square shot waterfowl extra killing shells, ect. I believe it's all a big scam.

I got Kent's and blue federal box.

Hevi Metal #2, 3.5in with Patternmaster Code Black Goose choke. It is a little bit more on the spendy side for shells, but it holds a solid pattern well over 40 yards. Real good when the birds start getting decoy shy.

I am sure that combination will get the job done, however, (and this is just my opinion) when the birds get decoy shy you just gotta know how to get them in. Take that mojo away and switch to a jerk string, or start using a whistle instead of a hen mallard, throw a couple swan decoys out. You don't need to take longer shots in the late season, you just got to adjust your tactics a little bit to get them in close.

I got mine back in February on a trip to Florida. Fiocchi Tundra 2's and 4's in 12 ga 2-3/4" and 3-1/2" and 20 ga 3". I bought about 200 shells all together. Had it shipped to my Mom's and brought it up in checked bags.

FL2AK did you get a new shotgun? Or is this something you can shoot out of your older guns? I was looking into finding some alternatives for my Browning A5 16 guage. It's a full choke, so I can't shoot lead. And I can't find a barrel to swap out for duck hunting. It would be a blast to hunt some ducks with that old gun.

I use Black Cloud even though I know/think it's a gimmick. I have seen a goose wrinkle and fall graveyard dead at 50 yards going away when I was in SoDak using it. From that point forward, it's been more of a confidence thing for me. I have patterned it through my gun, though, and it did pattern better than most other loads. I don't mind the extra cost, so it doesn't really concern me. I've killed birds with other loads, but at the end of the day, I'm more confident in the gun/load combo with Black Cloud, so I'll keep using it.

I like that attitude. when you hunt with me next year make sure to bring some for me to try...since cost is not an issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I use Black Cloud even though I know/think it's a gimmick. I have seen a goose wrinkle and fall graveyard dead at 50 yards going away when I was in SoDak using it. From that point forward, it's been more of a confidence thing for me. I have patterned it through my gun, though, and it did pattern better than most other loads. I don't mind the extra cost, so it doesn't really concern me. I've killed birds with other loads, but at the end of the day, I'm more confident in the gun/load combo with Black Cloud, so I'll keep using it.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

just bought a case of remington 3" 4 shot
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Hugh, did you get your new duck boat ordered yet?

working it...also looking at the new boat by four rivers...EBADS, wirh the 12hp copperhead...think that might work as well. just talked to the guy with FR boats and seems it will go anywhere with all the gear I carry...lol

Hugh, did you get your new duck boat ordered yet?

I got the plans for that Hybrid NL like Griffin had. I was going to build one of those, but keep getting side tracked. I need to get it going pretty darn quick if I want to hunt this year. I need to find a small outboard for it too. Cottonwood creek isn't going to happen this year with them shutting down the bridge, so if want to hunt I need to get a boat going. Looking forward to hunting with you out there again next year.

yeah, there was a neat boat on CL last week for 700. seems it was one of AKDuckmans buddies old biats and would have done the trick..

if you can find scanoe that would work. then just get a small moter. all you would need for out there.

or get busy building....looking forward to next year myself. we might have to get together for this sheep hunting stuff. After all these sheep post... I got rams on the brain pretty bad...lol the ducks might to wait

I got the plans for that Hybrid NL like Griffin had. I was going to build one of those, but keep getting side tracked. I need to get it going pretty darn quick if I want to hunt this year. I need to find a small outboard for it too. Cottonwood creek isn't going to happen this year with them shutting down the bridge, so if want to hunt I need to get a boat going. Looking forward to hunting with you out there again next year.

Default duck loads!

Should have started early like my partner n I did! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345777031.532453.jpg
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I got interested in the sheep hunting the same way, just by reading the stories and seeing the pics. Glad I got out and experienced it for myself. I am hooked pretty bad now. I was even contemplating skipping the duck opener to do a walk in on the kenais, buuuttt that's going to be pretty hard for an old die hard waterfowler. I have been practicing the calls for the past couple of days, and getting the gear out and ready to go. Can't wait to get the old Benelli heated up again!

That boat isn't still on CL is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast