Thread: How do you secure all of your gear into your raft?

Question How do you secure all of your gear into your raft?

I'm heading out on a 5-day float/fishing trip. All of my previous trips have been one day episodes, so I've never had to worry about securing a lot of gear in my raft. Now that I'm adding another 150 lbs of stuff, I'm trying to think through the best way to secure it.

I'm anxious to hear if anyone has advice or preferred methods for securing camping and fishing gear into a raft. Cargo nets? Tie downs? Let me know what has worked for you.

Default How do you secure all of your gear into your raft?

What type of raft, how is your current cargo platform configured and what are you packing?

I don't have a very wide raft, so when I utilize my cargo platforms and stack a duffle bag on top, a strap on each handle down to a d-ring is more than enough to keep it in place.

If I'm only in Class I/II on a river I know, I just toss my stuff in and go.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

It's a 14' Kenai Drifter (Gary King boat). I'll be carrying standard stuff for a float trip this time of year...tent, sleeping bags, food, fishing gear and all of the miscellaneous stuff that goes along with it.

Consider a gear hammock and cargo net. NRS site sells it all online. The hammock goes near bottom and keeps gear off floor, which is for raft protection more than anything else. The cargo net goes over the mountain of gear in the back and secures to the D rings with short straps. This keeps all your stuff in place of course. With a hammock and cargo net, plenty of good quality dry bags, you should be good to go wherever. More numerous smaller dry bags pack better than a few very large ones.

I keep a mesh duffel bag from Campmor, gym bag size mesh bag, in the boat and store items I need access to in it. Keeps me from digging through dry bags while traveling. I keep stove, water filter, sunglass case, hat, extra fly reels/spools, rain jacket, lunch, fly rods in green plastic LL bean rod tubes, water bottles, smokes, camera, etc.. in small dry bags that I place inside this mesh duffel. That way I can get to these items without disrupting the gear pile in the boat.

One of my most valuable float trip items...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___70091

Dan

I think the biggest worry related to securing gear is what happens if the boat flips for some odd reason. In that situation a cargo net by itself is far from foolproof and you will usually loose stuff. Sometimes a lot of stuff. I always tie everything into the boat with cam straps. I'll lace one long strap through a half dozen bags and other items, and make sure all the straps interconnect with the other straps that do the same. Sometimes I end up with sort of a net of straps, but every item is completely secured to the boat. I have used a cargo net over the top of this but I have learned to never trust a cargo net by itself. You could use ropes to do the same, but the cam straps are just easier to work with. A half dozen 6-12' straps are usually sufficient for the gear pile.

Items that are placed elsewhere in the boat are individually secured to the raft frame. Nothing is left unsecured.

I also ascribe to Dan's plan to use a large bag to hold a whole lot of misc. items & small bags. Mostly so I have less things to tie down individually.

Well, guess I am old school, keep your gear off the floor, especially on non-bailing rafts. Learn to tie knots! and use strong STATIC line and run it over, under, and through what you are trying to keep inside your boat when she is upside down. Yes takes more time and effort-- but less for the net to hang up on. Been there more times than I liked.
    Just my thoughts-
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Well, guess I am old school, keep your gear off the floor, especially on non-bailing rafts. Learn to tie knots! and use strong STATIC line and run it over, under, and through what you are trying to keep inside your boat when she is upside down. Yes takes more time and effort-- but less for the net to hang up on. Been there more times than I liked.
    Just my thoughts-
    Goo
    I have often thought about cargo nets and the potential to make a capsizing even worse. They're really convenient, but I agree that there's a risk of getting really hung up with one. You are way more experienced than I with this stuff and I think sometimes the "old ways" are the best.

Thanks, Goo!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike --Have a safe and productive hunting season!!
    Goo

I use the strap method like Jim Strutz. I use an aft cargo platform to raise the heaviest items off the floor. My big, bulky Paco sleeping pads are stowed below the cargo platform on the floor. Those are lightweight and don't cause the self-bailer floor to sag.

I usually have 3, two piece NRS loop straps secured to my stern d-ring. The loop end is secured around the d-ring and the rest of the straps pass through all of my dry bags to other d-rings around the perimeter of the raft. That method is the easiest and fastest that I've found. I've also added a Down River Equipment drop bag to one of the bays of my frame and it's topped with my plastic homemade table top (3/8" plastic similar to a cutting board). The drop bag is great for odd shaped items. I have another 2 DRE drop bags that hold 20mm rocket boxes. The cooler and future dry box are hung from the frame by NRS cooler/dry box hangers with top straps that will hopefully hold them in the boat if upside down.

There's not much loose in my boat except stuff that wouldn't be a show stopper if lost. I keep my dslr camera in a Pelican case that's bright orange and will hopefully float. Another good storage idea is orange Home Depot buckets with lids. The aren't waterproof, but they are fairly water resistant especially if lined with heavy duty trash compactor bags. They also make good camp seats. I try to keep as much as possible off the floor. You can float much skinnier water that way.

I have a NRS cargo net for sale if anyone wants to buy one? lol

6594722_orig.jpgFloat_hunting_on_the_Nimmi_River_upper_Noatak_National_Preserve-180x126.jpgZip Ties???

No Really this is a good question. All of out multi-day trips have suspended floors with cargo nets along with 9 foot NRS Cam straps. A tight load is critical when dealing with fast water. Nothing sadder than having something pop out of a raft and it is never seen again!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net