Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottonwood Creek Bridge - Palmer Hay Flats SGR - ADF&G Press Release - 8/20/12

Default Cottonwood Creek Bridge - Palmer Hay Flats SGR - ADF&G Press Release - 8/20/12

Division of Wildlife Conservation Doug Vincent-Lang, Acting Director Headquarters PO Box 115526 Juneau, AK 99811-5526 Alaska Department of Fish and Game Cora Campbell, Commissioner PO Box 115526 Juneau, AK 99811-5526 www.adfg.alaska.gov

PRESS RELEASE
    For Immediate Release: Aug. 20, 2012
    CONTACT: Ed Weiss, Lands & Refuges manager; 907.267.2189 ed.weiss@alaska.gov

Cottonwood Creek Bridge Replacement, Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge

(Juneau) – The Alaska Department of Fish and Game reminds all users of the Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge in the Cottonwood Creek area that the bridge over Cottonwood Creek will remain closed to all trail users. We anticipate a new bridge will be open before midsummer in 2013. With the upcoming Sept. 1 opening of the waterfowl hunting season, users are reminded that ATVs will not be able to cross the creek while those traveling on foot will need to find an alternative access route to these wetlands. Alternate access may include crossing the creek by small boat, walking upstream for ½ mile to a suitable wading location, or by boat from a different access point such as Rabbit Slough.

The existing bridge has been condemned due to safety concerns and is no longer available for public use. These concerns stem from structural issues related to corrosion and vandalism. Funds from a legislative Capital Improvement Project and a federal aid Wildlife Restoration Grant have been secured to replace the bridge.
    In conjunction with the bridge replacement, the Department is seeking additional funds to address and mitigate habitat impacts from ATV use on the area’s wetlands. Potential solutions may involve rerouting the ATV trail to less sensitive areas.

The Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge encompasses approximately 45 square miles of freshwater, brackish and saltwater wetlands; forest; lakes; tidal sloughs and mudflats in Upper Cook Inlet. The refuge was established to "protect and preserve the natural habitat and game populations" of the area and it provides important habitat for tens-of-thousands of migratory waterbirds including ducks, geese, swans, shorebirds and sandhill cranes. It also provides habitat for large numbers of muskrats, moose, bears and other wildlife; and for five species of Pacific salmon and other fish. The refuge provides varied opportunities for outdoor activities and is popular for fishing, hunting, trapping, wildlife viewing, photography, nature study, hiking, skiing, canoeing, boating and other activities.

The Cottonwood Creek area provides access to one of the primary freshwater wetland complexes in the refuge and encompasses approximately ten square miles of mostly open water habitat. Facilities at the site include an access road, several parking areas, a vault toilet, uplands hiking trails, a covered overlook shelter, interpretive panels, the decommissioned bridge over Cottonwood Creek and the trailhead for a 7-mile long wetlands trail along Palmer Slough. The bridge has been used by thousands of visitors engaged in sport fishing, fall waterfowl hunting, wildlife viewing, and hiking.

I think I'll go down there with a lawn chair and a bowel of popcorn on saturday morning just to watch the show - people are going to go ballistic.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I will have sat off, maybe I should get a transporter license and charge people to take them across the creek with my pod or maybe just go have it to myself. I F/N knew that was going to happen with the bridge. Sure hope no one gets stuck in the silt trying to cross by foot hate to see someone drown because the state dropped the ball

Default Connect the dots.......

This might be a good time to connect the dots and spread the word to advocate for Alaska Game Refuges funding from (1) ADF&G, (2) the governor's office, and (3) your local legislative contingent. Nothing happens without funding. Decades of starving the refuge program sent refuges - especially those on the road system - into the abyss of abuse and neglect until just last year. Departments are formulating their budgets *now*, so advocacy - calls, emails, faxes - to the ADF&G Commissioner, the governor's office *and* giving your legislators a heads-up will make a difference.

BTW, I'm sure Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats would be appreciative of the help, since they're the ones greatly responsible for cleaning up, fixing up, advocating for and working on it. A recent meeting with ADF&G has identified needed habitat repair/restoration projects. They'll be seeking grant funding for these projects. 'Seems like D.U. and other waterfowl/outdoor hunting groups should be joining up..................

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge Woman View Post
    This might be a good time to connect the dots and spread the word to advocate for Alaska Game Refuges funding from (1) ADF&G, (2) the governor's office, and (3) your local legislative contingent. Nothing happens without funding. Decades of starving the refuge program sent refuges - especially those on the road system - into the abyss of abuse and neglect until just last year. Departments are formulating their budgets *now*, so advocacy - calls, emails, faxes - to the ADF&G Commissioner, the governor's office *and* giving your legislators a heads-up will make a difference.

BTW, I'm sure Alaskans for Palmer Hay Flats would be appreciative of the help, since they're the ones greatly responsible for cleaning up, fixing up, advocating for and working on it. A recent meeting with ADF&G has identified needed habitat repair/restoration projects. They'll be seeking grant funding for these projects. 'Seems like D.U. and other waterfowl/outdoor hunting groups should be joining up..................

Forgive my ignorance, but how is a bridge considered habitat repair/restoration? Seems like it'd be tough to get national organizations with the mission of preserving, maintaining, and restoring wetlands habitat to fund fixing a bridge.

Okay. I thought I was clear.

This one bridge replacement is an infrastructure, i.e., public access issue. ADF&G Wildlife Division has to fund it out of their CIP budget - which includes all 32 state refuges, sanctuaries and special areas.

The habitat restoration/enhancement/protection projects identified by ADF&G and APH will have to be grant funded, more than likely with matching funds and volunteer labor.

Okay. I thought I was clear.

This one bridge replacement is an infrastructure, i.e., public access issue. ADF&G Wildlife Division has to fund it out of their CIP budget - which includes all 32 state refuges, sanctuaries and special areas.

The habitat restoration/enhancement/protection projects identified by ADF&G and APH will have to be grant funded, more than likely with matching funds and volunteer labor.

Where can someone find information on the projects identified by ADF&G & APH?

Probably contact Joe Meehan first: 269-2281 (I think). The APH Board requested a work session with F&G to talk about identifying these projects. They also had waterfowl hunters and two retired wildlife biologists experienced on the PHF attend, so it was a productive session. This just happened recently, so the final prioritized list is being typed up now.

BTW, good hunting to everyone!

Ok, I'd just be curious to see how they compare to the areas identified by DU.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    I will have sat off, maybe I should get a transporter license and charge people to take them across the creek with my pod or maybe just go have it to myself. I F/N knew that was going to happen with the bridge. Sure hope no one gets stuck in the silt trying to cross by foot hate to see someone drown because the state dropped the ball
    I think you'll get more if you charge to pull them out once they're stuck.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

funniest part is.. this has been in public meet since at least march 2012 ( when i became aware of it) and is NOT news... several Groups including the AOAA. have been trying to get his done and under operations for some time.. pays to pay attention..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Probably contact Joe Meehan first: 269-2281 (I think). The APH Board requested a work session with F&G to talk about identifying these projects. They also had waterfowl hunters and two retired wildlife biologists experienced on the PHF attend, so it was a productive session. This just happened recently, so the final prioritized list is being typed up now.

BTW, good hunting to everyone!
    Joe Meehan's phone number is 267-2281.

Well, that pretty much shuts my waterfowl season down.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Well, that pretty much shuts my waterfowl season down.

No it doesn't!

I said, pretty much, not entirely! I will still get out, just no where near much as I did when this was open. Maybe it's time to finally build that Hybrid NL like the one that Griffin had.

So is the old bridge still there so the walk in guys can still get access? If it is, whats stopping folks from just walking across? The timing of this is highly suspect!!!

The bridge is there, it's just boarded up with no tresspassing signs on it. It has been that way since spring. You could still cross it, but you never know if that trooper is sitting up there on the overlook watching you. I would say it's best to not take the risk. Still, it would have been nice if they could at least just throw a couple power poles across or something so we could at least walk in without adding another mile or more to the long trek out there since they have closed it down to ATVs. Throw us a bone here!

or buy floaties

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I said, pretty much, not entirely! I will still get out, just no where near much as I did when this was open. Maybe it's time to finally build that Hybrid NL like the one that Griffin had.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Does anyone have an old boat they would be willing to put out there? You could stake a rope to both banks and tie off to bow and stern. That way, if the boats on the wrong side you could pull it over. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstickalaskan View Post
    Does anyone have an old boat they would be willing to put out there? You could stake a rope to both banks and tie off to bow and stern. That way, if the boats on the wrong side you could pull it over. Just a thought.

Geez, guys. 'Seems not a great stretch for the "traditional" bird hunter (without ATV) to walk up the creek a few hundred yards and cross where it comes down from the bluff........ You're wearing waterproof boots, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast