Thread: How to count points on caribou?

Default How to count points on caribou?

Hello - Grew up rifle/bow hunting in WA state for elk, deer, and small game but don't know diddly-squat about caribou. Do you include the eye guard ( or what I think I've seen referred to as 'brows') when counting points? Also, from which point to which point do you measure for actual size in inches? Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to ask and couldn't find in the FAQ's. Thank you in advance :-)

Count them by how full you get
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Check out B&C scoring link here.

Unlike deer managment requirements in the L48 there are no point/size requirements for caribou in AK.

I've very rarely heard people gauge caribou by their total point count. For those looking for trophy quality, they often refer to beam length, palmation, point length, # of shovels, mass, and bez points. Frankly, I think that unique antler configurations are much cooler than what the book says is a quality caribou, and meat quality is even more important - but to each their own.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-21-2012 at 23:45.

Even though my caribou from last year was small I still had to use both hands and both feet and two of the dogs toes to keep track of how many points the antlers had. Works better if the dog is not trying to retrieve the caribou.

Can't say that I have ever heard of anyone counting the points on a caribou except some of the old naturalist back in the early 1900's. Like Brian said most of us just see if we like the antler configuration of one and thats the end of it.

By far not expert but I like a bou to have good tops ie long points and mass. Saw some on the haul road last yr was at mile 4 and there was 10 of them nice animals for sure all I could do was take pictures. When we went into unit 13 to recover my ranger saw to bou that had good mass and excellent tops real long points to.