Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kids and guns....

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default Kids and guns....

    I present all my grand kids with a little CZ Scout 22 rifle at age 3 or 4.
    My youngest grand daughter just turned 7, she got a Sig Mosquito 22 LR (with pink frame of course).
    Another Grand daughter turned 16 last month, she got a Sig 228 9mm.

    And yes they both can shoot each very well. The 7 year old loves shooting pistol and loves her new pink one. I have several of her targets up on my refrigerator.

    The 16 year old feels good about being able to participate in the home defense scenario.
    I think it's safer to give a 16 year old girl a loaded pistol than to give her a loaded mustang.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    102

    Default

    My kids all know how to shoot and all have grown up well. My grandchildren are not in state with us but I am encouraging their parents to continue the tradition!

  3. #3
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I present all my grand kids with a little CZ Scout 22 rifle at age 3 or 4.
    My youngest grand daughter just turned 7, she got a Sig Mosquito 22 LR (with pink frame of course).
    Another Grand daughter turned 16 last month, she got a Sig 228 9mm.

    And yes they both can shoot each very well. The 7 year old loves shooting pistol and loves her new pink one. I have several of her targets up on my refrigerator.

    The 16 year old feels good about being able to participate in the home defense scenario.
    I think it's safer to give a 16 year old girl a loaded pistol than to give her a loaded mustang.

    Good on ya Murphy.

    And I agree about the Mustang, or any car. My nephew would also agree, he got a brand new red Mustang in 1993 as a 16th birthday gift when he was in high school. He is in his 30s now and will flat out tell you that car (tickets, wrecks, SR22, near death from the last crash) ruined his life! 18 years after the car was gone all the legal aftermath of having the keys just handed to him when he didn’t understand the responsibility still shades his life. He tells his 6 year old kid “You want a nice car at 16 you better get to mowing lawns now and earn money for one!”
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Thumbs up

    "To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
    This was the ancient law of youth.
    Old times are past, old days are done;
    but the Law runs true, O Little son!"


    Well done . . .

  5. #5
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Agreed Murphy, my kids and 2 grandsons were all exposed to guns as soon as they were able to deal with them. My youngest grandson is 3 and started shooting a 22 crickett at 2 something...
    Unfortunatly not all kids are in an enviroment that gives them an opportunity to learn gun safety - most get a car at 16 - which is a few years past when they have already had their first drink! Thats a bad combo for sure.... Although today I fear the cell phone/IPOD and a car may prove to be the most deadly to youngsters....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  6. #6
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    - most get a car at 16 - which is a few years past when they have already had their first drink! Thats a bad combo for sure.... Although today I fear the cell phone/IPOD and a car may prove to be the most deadly to youngsters....
    I'm not sure the texting and driving (among other mobile media) that folks do today isn't way more dangerous than DWI.
    Not that either is a good idea, but I've seen young drivers completely cross three lanes of traffic while texting. Usually a drunk will weave around a bunch...but with texts it's resposible driver goes to idiot as soon as they pick up the phone.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  7. #7
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default Kids and guns....

    By the time my kids are driving age the technology will have developed to the point that most of the current round of safety laws will be irrelevant. I can already do speech to text. Most short txt messages aren't any longer than scanning the radio and gauges plus many phones can be set to read back to you. GPS enabled smart phones and blue tooth tethering will eventually make for a fully integrated experience that actually improves safety by locking out some features like Internet and Facebook while music and phone calls/address book to include text messages will be integrated into the radio.

    Sorry to sidetrack but just couldn't resist you "old set in your ways folks" crack me up

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Took two of my girls out last weekend, youngest (8), shot the AR15 and was so tickled she could barely contain herself, then when the oldest (16), shot the FAL, she had to shoot it too. I held it by the magazine to keep it from pounding her, she got behind it, sighted down on a stump and BLAMMO! Again grinning from ear-to-ear. Kids and guns are a good mix for family fun and learning the awesome responsibility of handling firearms.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  9. #9
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Good call Nitroman! My kids LOVE shooting our AR's!! I have a couple 6.8 SPC's but plan to get some cheap .223 uppers so that I can spend less time at the loading bench trying to keep them in ammo.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I present all my grand kids with a little CZ Scout 22 rifle at age 3 or 4.
    My youngest grand daughter just turned 7, she got a Sig Mosquito 22 LR (with pink frame of course).
    Another Grand daughter turned 16 last month, she got a Sig 228 9mm.

    And yes they both can shoot each very well. The 7 year old loves shooting pistol and loves her new pink one. I have several of her targets up on my refrigerator.

    The 16 year old feels good about being able to participate in the home defense scenario.
    I think it's safer to give a 16 year old girl a loaded pistol than to give her a loaded mustang.
    Murphy,

    Did your grandkids not find the CZ to be a little heavy or do you only have them shoot it form a bench? My son is 5 and my daughter is 4 and both are small for their age. I am certain neither of them would be able to hold that gun up, and suspect the length of pull would be too long. I have been contemplating the best .22 to get for them lately and though i also consider the CZ Scout to be the best quality one out there, I am afraid it's too big. I have also considered the newer Savage Rascal. I can't bring myself to buy a Cricket. I'm not a fan of that action, even though they are small.

  11. #11

    Default

    All of my 4 kids have and shoot guns. My oldest grandson is 10 and lives in Chicago. He had to give a report last year about his favorite thing to do above all else. His report was about coming to Iowa to shoot his guns with grandpa. Gramps can't wait for him to get here either.

    His dad(my son-in-law) is a super guy but non shooter and he lets grandpa have the boy all to myself when we go shooting, so dad hadn't observed the steady improvement. I invited dad along last month when they were home. Tait went 10 for 10 on walnuts at 40 yards with his gizzied up 10-22. His dad was very impressed and made a real big deal out of it. It was a great day!

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Murphy,

    Did your grandkids not find the CZ to be a little heavy or do you only have them shoot it form a bench? My son is 5 and my daughter is 4 and both are small for their age. I am certain neither of them would be able to hold that gun up, and suspect the length of pull would be too long. I have been contemplating the best .22 to get for them lately and though i also consider the CZ Scout to be the best quality one out there, I am afraid it's too big. I have also considered the newer Savage Rascal. I can't bring myself to buy a Cricket. I'm not a fan of that action, even though they are small.
    No the little Scout is small. I don't think its' too big, LOP is about 11" and comes as a single shot but a magazine fits in place of the S/S plug. At three they sit with the gun on the bench then usually stand behind a bench for a couple years. I have even made custom height benches for grand kids. They have all taken to it very easily.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    this is an AWESOME thread !! I have, of late, been contemplating getting my grandson a .22 for his 5th birthday and this thread solidified that thought - He's pretty big (and STRONG) for the age so I'd better be looking at that Scout first - Iron sights I presume ?

  14. #14
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    This is a great way to introduce firearms to people...at a young age under supervision. If all children
    were educated like this I really believe that you would see accidents and incedents would go way down.
    Kids would not be bringing guns to School as much and our society would be safer.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

  15. #15
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    By the time my kids are driving age the technology will have developed to the point that most of the current round of safety laws will be irrelevant. I can already do speech to text. Most short txt messages aren't any longer than scanning the radio and gauges plus many phones can be set to read back to you. GPS enabled smart phones and blue tooth tethering will eventually make for a fully integrated experience that actually improves safety by locking out some features like Internet and Facebook while music and phone calls/address book to include text messages will be integrated into the radio.

    Sorry to sidetrack but just couldn't resist you "old set in your ways folks" crack me up
    I pray you are right LuJon, as more than 3000 youths died in 2010 from cell phone / traffic deaths...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  16. #16
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    I thought I would toss this in as it seems useful for me.
    The little ones starting out are excited and most like the loud noise associated with shooting ( make sure they are wearing some type of hearing protection ) - however to help keep them interested I make sure they hit a target.
    I set balloons up filled with air about 15 feet away suspended on a wire and then use #12 birdshot in the 22's - this way they pop the balloon and stay excited! I let them shoot until either the ammo/targets are gone or they say enuff - I think its very important not to push little ones farther than they want to take it...
    If you can find the plastic tipped 22 birdshot it will extract easier than the all metal / crimped end loads which look to be based on a 22 mag case. Needle nose pliers or screwdriver usually needed to extract those puppies....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  17. #17
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I completely agree with Smokey -- keep kids interested by giving them some instant feedback like a balloon or the sound of a round hitting a steel target and not pushing them. As soon as my daughter has had enough or shows the first sign of frustration, we move on to something else. It seems to work as she wants to go to the range far more often than time allows. Last year I was taking my girl to the range to teach her gun safety, and I wasn't concerned about if she actually hit the target as long as she was safe with the gun. This year we've been focusing on accuracy. Early spring we started with 25 yard targets. Now she's fairly consistently hitting steel plates at well over 200 yards with her rifle.

  18. #18
    Member bigswede358's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Maries, Idaho
    Posts
    518

    Default

    I would have to agree that this is a great thread. My son just turned 1 today, he weighs about 28 lbs already, and my daughter will be 3 in February. I think next summer I will start to introduce her to shooting. She already loves going in the woods. She even made the trek last weekend with me and the pups to go check our trail cam at my salt lick. I have a marlin 15YN waiting for her on her brother to learn to shoot with. When they are proficient with the iron sites I have an older Leupold 2.5x compact that I will put on there. I think it will be a deadly little grouse and squirrel rifle. I even already have 4 rifles put away for the kids to pick and choose from when they are old/big enough to handle them physically and mentally. Now if I can just get her to use that little voice to mimic a cow elk and call dad in a bull.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

  19. #19

    Default

    I would of went out and bought a bolt action .22 they day they were born lol. When i was young my first gun was an old single shot .22 with irons. Gotta teach them the basics.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •